sharing

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

mathguy
Student Driver

Re: sharing

Post by mathguy »

emendelson wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:53 pm I have no idea. Why not try removing the added line, according to my instructions on my page, and let us know what happens?
There seemed to be some conflict between the LAN serving through the Ethernet port and WIFI serving wirelessly. When I removed the ethernet cable, Mac OS 9 was able to access the internet. Sorry about that.

Mathguy
mathguy
Student Driver

Post by mathguy »

Were you actually able to connect between SheepShaver and your real-world hardware? I'm very impressed. Many thanks to Cat_7 for showing the way!
Dear emendelson,

Been away from this for a few days. The set up that was relatively stable last week seems to have gone caput and crashes at alsmost every move. I tried starting over, but the same sensitivity seems to follow. If it's nothing you changed, then I will contiue to search through my system.

Thanks again for all the time you put into this.

Mathguy
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

mathguy wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:18 pm
Were you actually able to connect between SheepShaver and your real-world hardware? I'm very impressed. Many thanks to Cat_7 for showing the way!
Dear emendelson,

Been away from this for a few days. The set up that was relatively stable last week seems to have gone caput and crashes at alsmost every move. I tried starting over, but the same sensitivity seems to follow. If it's nothing you changed, then I will contiue to search through my system.

Thanks again for all the time you put into this.

Mathguy
I'm puzzled by the question. I can't change a setup that's already on your system. Exactly what are you asking?
mathguy
Student Driver

Post by mathguy »

I'm puzzled by the question. I can't change a setup that's already on your system. Exactly what are you asking?
Of course you can't. But I tried the whole setup routine with a new download of Mac Os 9.zip and I am still experiencing the difficulties. If you have not recently changed the download, then the problem is clearly at my end.

Thanks for the reply.

Best,

Mathguy
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ah, I see. Yes, I updated the app with the latest SheepShaver code, and I made the mistake of using the rdp-filesharing prefs as the default instead of the prefs without file sharing . Try using the method described on my download page for changing back to the "nosharing" prefs file as the default.

If you still have problems after that, then the problem is with the new code, and it will be worth taking it up with kanjitalk755.
mathguy
Student Driver

Post by mathguy »

emendelson wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:25 pm Ah, I see. Yes, I updated the app with the latest SheepShaver code, and I made the mistake of using the rdp-filesharing prefs as the default instead of the prefs without file sharing . Try using the method described on my download page for changing back to the "nosharing" prefs file as the default.

If you still have problems after that, then the problem is with the new code, and it will be worth taking it up with kanjitalk755.
Dear emendelson,

I have another mac lying around and I truly started from scratch, downloading your latest file, following all directions, and the file transfer was working well until I overstepped and it froze. Undaunted, I dumped all of my work and started over. Somehow vestiges of my previous work remained somewhere on my computer and no amount of deleting and restarting seemed to be able to get back a clean Mac os 9 from your latest file. Since I am semi-illiterate when getting into the depth of scripting and other deeper coding, I have one last question for you. Does your version of Sheepshaver, or to your knowledge does Sheepshaver itself write any hidden files that may be corrupted when Mac os 9 freezes and which don't get eliminated when I put all files that appear to be related to the emulator in the trash and try starting over? I would like to be able to get to the "well until" part of my first sentence above. I have "the towel" in my hand (I'm sure this is not too obscure, but if it is - think a prize fight).

Regards,
mathguy
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

My build doesn't create hidden files (unlike standard SheepShaver, which does), but my app puts its prefs, NVRAM, ROM and few other files into the folder ~/Library/Application Support/MacOS9. Delete that MacOS9 folder and you've completely cleaned out the system.

You can do the same thing by holding down the Option key when launching the app, and choosing the option to Restore Default Settings. No need to find the folder.
mathguy
Student Driver

Post by mathguy »

[/quote]
emendelson wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:25 pm My build doesn't create hidden files (unlike standard SheepShaver, which does), but my app puts its prefs, NVRAM, ROM and few other files into the folder ~/Library/Application Support/MacOS9. Delete that MacOS9 folder and you've completely cleaned out the system.

You can do the same thing by holding down the Option key when launching the app, and choosing the option to Restore Default Settings. No need to find the folder.
This seems to be the info i needed. HOPEFULLY I WON"T NEED TO BOTHER YOU AGAIN>

Best,

mathguy
galgot
Granny Smith

Post by galgot »

galgot wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:19 pm
Cat_7 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:00 pm
redir udp:407:10.0.2.15:407
You might try to redirect both:
redir udp:407:10.0.2.15:407
redir tcp:407:10.0.2.15:407

Note that on Linux you might have to run Basilisk as root for it to open ports below 1024. Then also note it will use a prefs file in the root folder....

Best,
Cat_7
Ahaa... thanks, didn't know about that root and ports issue, will try.
Did tried redirect both tcp and udp , no joy.
An update on that... it does work on a SheepShaver running in MacOS 10.15 Catalina.
with redir tcp:407:10.0.2.15:407
and Timbuktu Pro 5.2.3 installed, I am able to share screen/files from another machine by connecting to the host.
Very cool.