Qemu package and guide for OSX available

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Qemu package and guide for OSX available

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

There is the oldworld -M g3beige machine, but it is also restricted to 2Gb of memory. And it will probably not run your guest OS.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The latest real Power Mac G4 and PowerBook G4 machines did not support more than 2.0 GB of memory. So no surprise if software running on an emulated G4 does not expect more than 2.0 GB. The limitation was probably added for good reasons.
cafe-megabyte
Space Cadet

Post by cafe-megabyte »

Thank you for your advice!
I'll wait updating until the M1 version is released. :)
PeterD
Space Cadet

Post by PeterD »

Hi

I am trying to install Qemu-system-ppc-macOS-6.2-rc3-01-12-2021.zip
I Use it with this guide: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ppc ... mu-for-osx
when I launch qemu-img in the terminal
I get
/users/XX/Qemu-6/./Libs/libglib-2.0.0.dylib: cannot load 'libglib-2.0.0.dylib' (load command 0x80000034 is unknown)
/Users/XX/Qemu-6/Libs/libglib-2.0.0.dylib: cannot load 'libglib-2.0.0.dylib' (load command 0x80000034 is unknown)
Trace/BPT trap: 5

What am I doing wrong?

I hope you can help me
Thanks in Advance
PeterD
Space Cadet

Post by PeterD »

When I try to install the 5.2 version Iget the following message

./qemu-img create -f raw -o size=2G MacOS9.2.img
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _clock_gettime
Referenced from: /Users/peterdolle/Qemu-5/./qemu-img
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: _clock_gettime
Referenced from: /Users/peterdolle/Qemu-5/./qemu-img
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

Trace/BPT trap: 5

What am I doing wrong?
Osx El Capitan
Macbook pro mid 2010
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I guess you saw on which macOS versions the Qemu builds you can download here were created?
With your host running El Capitan you are restricted to the builds of 23-08-2019 or earlier. Qemu started using a function not available in your macOS version after that time.
There is not much we can do about that, it's Qemu policy to only support the last two macOS versions.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Cat_7 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:23 am Hi,

I guess you saw on which macOS versions the Qemu builds you can download here were created?
With your host running El Capitan you are restricted to the builds of 23-08-2019 or earlier. Qemu started using a function not available in your macOS version after that time.
There is not much we can do about that, it's Qemu policy to only support the last two macOS versions.

Best,
Cat_7
Some enterprising person did backport SDL QEMU-PPC avoiding the more recent functions, so it could run on 10.6-10.11. I can't recall who or where that fork is located though, and it's not up to date (it was done in early 2020).
ThinkEd
Space Cadet

Post by ThinkEd »

Hello,

I have been using the following build and found something strange with the networking.

10-12-2021
Qemu-system-ppc-macOS-6.2-rc4-screamer-60hz-fpu-vmnet

In Mac OS X 10.0 and 10.1 guests, I have been able to connect to my NAS using AFP and have a share mounted using the guest account. However, once I tried to transfer a file to the guest OS, the OS stopped responding for a while and the transfer would end in an error. The networking would not function properly anymore until a restart of the guest OS.

I have been using the default -netdev settings included in the download package.

Am I missing anything?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Thanks for the report.
No, you are not missing anything, you are using an experimental build ;-)
The vmnet option is still under development and is not in the official qemu source code yet. Some quirks still have to be ironed out.
But we are getting there.

Best,
Cat_7
jimjamyaha
Space Cadet

Post by jimjamyaha »

Hey, have built the latest stable and also master branches on Monterey 12.1.

The latest master version solves an issue I had with .qcow images not working with the latest release and also experimental releases.

What I can't find (and I tried searching the internet/this forum) is the patch code for the vmnet networking options. Understand it's not yet available on the github code.

Any pointers where it is and how integrate it into the build.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by jimjamyaha on Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

jimjamyaha wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:08 pm Hey, have built the latest stable and also master branches on Monterey 12.1.

The latest master version solves an issue I had with .qcow images not working with the latest release and also experimental releases.

What I can't find (and I tried searching the internet/this forum) is the patch code for the vmnet networking options. Understand it's not yet available on the github code.

Thanks in advance.
Out of curiosity, which versions are you calling latest stable and master? So others later on know which you're referencing when they're no longer the latest.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You can find the latest version (15) of the patch series here:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/qe ... rains.com/

Download the series, cd into your qemu-master src folder and apply:
patch -p1 < /path-to-patch/Add-vmnet.framework-based-network-backend.patch

Best,
Cat_7
jimjamyaha
Space Cadet

Post by jimjamyaha »

adespoton wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:32 am
jimjamyaha wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:08 pm Hey, have built the latest stable and also master branches on Monterey 12.1.

Thanks in advance.
Out of curiosity, which versions are you calling latest stable and master? So others later on know which you're referencing when they're no longer the latest.
Good point. 6.2.0 stable is the "latest stable" as of 2 March 2022.

The master branch was downloaded from git on 2 March 2022.
jimjamyaha
Space Cadet

Post by jimjamyaha »

Hey, has anyone tried to compile and run the 7.0.0 rc1?

I've complied it ok - but it doesn't launch/crashes quickly before anything much occurs.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Yes, for macOS builds using the cocoa interface there is an issue.
There is a fix on the way, but I'm not sure whether it already landed in the master branch.

Best,
Cat_7
alericcio66
Space Cadet

Post by alericcio66 »

Hello, I'm trying to understand how to install QEMU on my Mac Mini 2018 with Monterey 12.3.1, but it's over my possibilities. I ask if some of you can help me with a remote connection and screen sharing, with a donation, because I need it to see old CD-ROM for my job, but I am not able to understand what is written, I am not a programmer. I installed with great effort Sheepshaver, with the help of Ronald, but it was explained step by step with windows, and I found out later that it could not run the CD-ROMs made for Power PC, here are only terminal commands that are beyond my possibilities and knowledge. Thank you very much to those who can help me.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I can try to help you.
Please continue this conversation in the private message system of the forum.

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I've uploaded a new version of qemu-system-pcc for macOS hosts. See first post in this thread.
The vmnet functionality has finally been included in Qemu. This again allows full network access to the host network on hosts that could no longer run tap-based networking to allow e.g. Appletalk connections. The guide has been updated with this option.

Best,
Cat_7
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

A purely cosmetic issue

Is there a way (say, in a launch command file) to specify an icon that should be displayed on the Dock when a Qemu virtual machine is running? For instance, I'd like to see the "9" icon when I'm running Mac OS 9.2.2 instead of the the icon attached to the Qemu binary (for instance, a red emu head within a solid black Q for qemu-system-ppc-screamer-60hz-fpu). Is this possible at all?

EDIT: I've sort of "discovered" a way to have a different icon displayed per virtual machine, but it is cumbersome. If I simply copy qemu-system-ppc-screamer-60hz-fpu to a Unix executable and name it, say, "Tiger", I can attach a Tiger icon to it. Then, if I also want to have a Mac OS 9.2.2 vm, I can copy qemu-system-ppc-screamer-60hz-fpu to a Unix executable and name it, say, "MacOS922", etcetera. That will work, but it would be nicer to have one single Qemu-launching Unix executable and have it intelligently select the relevant icon depending on the specific virtual machine it will run.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Ah good.
it would be nicer to have one single Qemu-launching Unix executable and have it intelligently select the relevant icon depending on the specific virtual machine it will run
I wouldn't know whether Qemu actually does know which guest operating system it was running. As qemu-system-ppc runs more than just Mac OS, it would need to have detection method valid for any guest OS and would need to keep an up-to-date kind of icon database. I don't see that happening ;-)

Perhaps someone can provide you with a small script doing what you now do manually.

Best,
Cat_7
werdna
Student Driver

Post by werdna »

PeterHolbrook wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:53 pm A purely cosmetic issue

Is there a way (say, in a launch command file) to specify an icon that should be displayed on the Dock when a Qemu virtual machine is running? For instance, I'd like to see the "9" icon when I'm running Mac OS 9.2.2 instead of the the icon attached to the Qemu binary (for instance, a red emu head within a solid black Q for qemu-system-ppc-screamer-60hz-fpu). Is this possible at all?

EDIT: I've sort of "discovered" a way to have a different icon displayed per virtual machine, but it is cumbersome. If I simply copy qemu-system-ppc-screamer-60hz-fpu to a Unix executable and name it, say, "Tiger", I can attach a Tiger icon to it. Then, if I also want to have a Mac OS 9.2.2 vm, I can copy qemu-system-ppc-screamer-60hz-fpu to a Unix executable and name it, say, "MacOS922", etcetera. That will work, but it would be nicer to have one single Qemu-launching Unix executable and have it intelligently select the relevant icon depending on the specific virtual machine it will run.
This is the sort of thing that could be more conveniently done once Qemu-PPC is given a more substantial front-end UI, like SheepShaver and Basilisk II. Perhaps with a UI similar to Virtual PC or Q, you could select the OS from a list when setting the virtual machine settings, and that setting would determine whether a generic icon or a version/OS-specific icon is displayed.
:lol:
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Hi Cat_7 hope you're doing fine.
In your top post where the download links are, there is a typo:

22-02-2022
Qemu-system-ppc-macOS-7.1-pre-22-05-2022

Thanks
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Oops, fixed.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

werdnaforever wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:01 am
PeterHolbrook wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:53 pm A purely cosmetic issue

This is the sort of thing that could be more conveniently done once Qemu-PPC is given a more substantial front-end UI, like SheepShaver and Basilisk II. Perhaps with a UI similar to Virtual PC or Q, you could select the OS from a list when setting the virtual machine settings, and that setting would determine whether a generic icon or a version/OS-specific icon is displayed.
For example, UTM on macOS acts as a front end to QEMU-PPC, and can be made to do this. However, by default all you get is the single UTM icon, no matter how many instances you're running (they're all windows in that process).
carbon
Student Driver

Post by carbon »

Having a bit of time I updated to Qemu 7 and checked if all my virtual machines still work. I have Mac OS X 10.0 to 10.5 running, and every VM from 10.2 to 10.5 are updated to latest release of the OS. Apple's update servers only seem to still work from 10.4 onwards, so I updated 10.2 and 10.3 to latest release using the combo updater packages.
But whatever I try, I just can't find a working combo updater for 10.0 nor 10.1, all the images available on the web seem to be corrupt.
Can anybody point me to valid updaters, please?