Error Type -39

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Karl Texler
Space Cadet

Error Type -39

Post by Karl Texler »

Hi All

I have been using the Sheep Shaver Wrapper (Version 2.5 (2018.07.11.EM)) put together by Edward Mendelson on my Apple Mac which is running OS 10.14.6 (Mojave). This I have been doing without any problems.

I'm about to move to OS 10.15 (Catalina) so I downloaded Sheep Shaver Wrapper (Version 2020.01.12.EM) and set it up pretty much the way I did with my older version. I've noticed this newer version tends to be less stable and will freeze a lot, requiring a Force Quit to exit. Also, when I try and run a particular application (an OS9 version of MYOB), I get the following message:

"The application program "MYOB Accounting" could not be opened, because an error of type - 39 occurred."

Sometimes this then progresses to the dreaded bomb plus system error message.

I tried making sure all MYOB related folders were copied to the virtual Macintosh HD drive and starting it up from there (just as I did with the 2018 version) as well as starting it up from MYOB related folders stored in the shared Unix drive (both methods work in the 2018 version), but to no avail.

So:

1. Is there something else I can try? Is it possible that this newer version is simply less stable of Mojave than Catalina?

or failing that:

2. Will the 2018 version of Sheep Shaver Wrapper work with Catalina?

Cheers and thanks!

Karl
Karl Texler
Space Cadet

Re: Error Type -39

Post by Karl Texler »

Hi All

Browsing through the forum, I found a solution.

I went and got the MacOS.sheepvm file from the older Sheep Shaver Wrapper contents and tried copying it to the new one. It now seems to be working perfectly.

I'm still concerned that a new setup may be generating a faulty MacOS.sheepvm file - which would be a problem for those who are looking to use the Sheep Shaver Wrapper for the very first time.

One thing I have noticed is that the Macintosh HD off a totally new install does not contain an OS Updaters folder - not sure whether this is due to MacOS.sheepvm file issues. Grabbing the older MacOS.sheepvm file will also cause an OS Updaters folder to be included.

Cheers!

Karl
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

That's a very useful report. I'll see if I can find anything wrong with the disk image in the current version of the SheepShaver Wrapper, but I have no idea of what the problem might be.
Karl Texler
Space Cadet

Post by Karl Texler »

Hi Mr Mendelson
emendelson wrote:That's a very useful report. I'll see if I can find anything wrong with the disk image in the current version of the SheepShaver Wrapper, but I have no idea of what the problem might be.
The other thing I'm thinking about is a possible settings issue with the Unix folder (which I use as the shared interface to migrate files across into the Sheep Shaver environment). It could be that something is preventing the environment from "blessing" the files properly as they are brought across - which means that applications aren't recognised properly and can't run.

Cheers!

Karl
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I ran Disk First Aid on the disk image in the SheepShaver Wrapper and uploaded a new copy. If you copy your current disk to the new disk image, and you still see this problem in the copied disk image, then it's caused by SheepShaver itself, and you might want to open a thread in the main SheepShaver area of this forum.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Karl Texler wrote:The other thing I'm thinking about is a possible settings issue with the Unix folder (which I use as the shared interface to migrate files across into the Sheep Shaver environment). It could be that something is preventing the environment from "blessing" the files properly as they are brought across - which means that applications aren't recognised properly and can't run.
1. Which SheepShaver build is used in the Wrapper? In builds created before 12 January 2020, files moved through the Unix folder will loose resource forks and type and creator codes on APFS hosts (High Sierra and later). Of the builds posted by me, only the 12 January 2020 and 15 March build will work correctly in this respect.

2. Applications cannot be run from the Unix volume. Also not when moved from the Unix folder to the desktop, because the file will then still be on the Unix volume (in the Desktop Folder in the shared folder). Applications must first be copied from Unix to another (disk image) volume.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri May 08, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

What happens if you lock the Unix Desktop folder for writing? Does that force anything dragged to the desktop in SS to be copied to the boot volume desktop folder?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

adespoton wrote:What happens if you lock the Unix Desktop folder for writing? Does that force anything dragged to the desktop in SS to be copied to the boot volume desktop folder?
That would be nice, but no. When you then try to drag a file from the Unix volume to the desktop, you will get an error message telling you that the file cannot be moved to the desktop "because it is in use".

It is possible to drag a file to the desktop while holding the option key. The file will then be copied to the desktop of the startup volume. This can be done with or without the Desktop Folder in the shared folder being locked.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:1. Which SheepShaver build is used in the Wrapper? In builds created before 12 January 2020, files moved through the Unix folder will loose resource forks and type and creator codes on APFS hosts (High Sierra and later). Of the builds posted by me, only the 12 January 2020 and 15 March build will work correctly in this respect.
The version I've posted for download has a build dated 12 January 2020. I'll build again and update it, but 12 January should certainly work.
Karl Texler
Space Cadet

Post by Karl Texler »

Hi Mr. Mendelson
emendelson wrote:I ran Disk First Aid on the disk image in the SheepShaver Wrapper and uploaded a new copy. If you copy your current disk to the new disk image, and you still see this problem in the copied disk image, then it's caused by SheepShaver itself, and you might want to open a thread in the main SheepShaver area of this forum.
By grabbing the old VM file, I appear to have fixed my problem. As everything is functioning now, I guess I'm a bit reluctant to start playing around with it.

However, happy to stay in touch and to answer any questions about what I did and any associated outcomes.

Cheers!

Karl