Chubby Bunny COI crashes on launch.

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Coraxus
Space Cadet

Chubby Bunny COI crashes on launch.

Post by Coraxus »

I currently run a 2019 iMac with the latest version of Mac OS Mojave. For a long while Chubby Bunny COI has given me little to no problem. All of a sudden, it quits upon trying to launch it. I tried to tinker with the hih1 setting, including restoring its original configuration. Nothing worked. I'm out of ideas. Can anyone help me on this please? Thanks
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Chubby Bunny COI crashes on launch.

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Did it run on this iMac, and with Mojave, before it started to crash at launch?
Coraxus
Space Cadet

Post by Coraxus »

Before, I used to have it running on an old 2007 Mac Mini (which ran Snow Leopard). When I got this new 2019 iMac for Xmas, I transferred COI over to it. And up to today it had been working fine. Now, it will literally quit upon launch as if acting as what SheepShaver would do if it could not find a workable compatible ROM. If you need more stats on my computer than what I gave, lemme know and I'll be happy to provide it.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Frankly, I cannot think of anything that would make COI stop working other than making changes to files inside the application package. I cannot test things myself as I am on Catalina and COI will not run in Catalina.

You "tinkered" with the hih1 file. The content of that file should be copied to the ~/.sheepshaver_prefs file each time COI is launched. The content of both files should thus be identical. Is that so in your setup?
Coraxus
Space Cadet

Post by Coraxus »

No, I had it set up to have a wide screen of 2400 x 1280 with some extra ram booted to compensate for it. This had worked for me for a long time. I may have to reinstall Chubby Bunny if necessary. Something I was hoping to avoid in the first place.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

One thing to do is stop using Chubby Bunny (which is a terrible mess) and use one of the prebuilt setups that you can read about in the Other SheepShaver Configurations subform. If you have files on your Chubby Bunny disk image, mount the disk in the other setup, and copy the files on to the boot-disk-image on the other setup.
Coraxus
Space Cadet

Post by Coraxus »

From what I understand, there's little to no update on Chubby Bunny and is using an outdated ROM or something like that. I eventually had to install SheepShaver but I think I got it running now. Unfortunately, I probably have to abandon the thought of trying to install Chubby Bunny in the near future. :(
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

When eventually switching from COI Chubby Bunny to a regular SheepShaver setup, you may wat to keep your MacOS 9.0.4 startup disk for use in the new setup. Disk image files that COI uses in the /Uses/Shared/ folder can be used again in a new setup, but the startup disk is hidden in the COI package.

You can get a copy of the 9.0.4 system disk image out of Chubby Bunny this way:

- Right-click (or control-click) on the 'COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny"' icon in the Finder.
- Choose "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu.
..... You will now see a Finder window containing a file "COI" (which is really a package) and a folder "Contents".
- Launch Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/).
- At the prompt in Terminal type

Code: Select all

cd
and a space (do not forget the space and do not yet hit return!).
- Drag the COI icon from the Finder into the Terminal window.
..... The path to the COI package will appear after cd.
- With the Terminal window in front, hit return.
- Then, at the new prompt, type in Terminal:

Code: Select all

cp .Classic.dmg ~/Desktop/MacOS9.dsk
followed by a return.
..... A copy of the COI startup disk image will appear on your desktop with the name "MacOS9.dsk".
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Or, somewhat more easily, you could simply drop a copy of the Classic app on my Classic-on-Intel-Extractor AppleScript app:

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/Classic-o ... ractor.zip

It will copy the COI disk image to the desktop and the copy will have the name "Classic.dmg".

If you download my "Mac OS 9" for macOS/OS X app (the current version only, please), you can then drop the Classic.dmg file on the Mac OS 9 app and follow the prompts. You can mount the Classic.dmg file as a second disk, and copy whatever you want from it to the boot disk built into my Mac OS 9 app. To find my Mac OS 9 app, you'll have to search the web for

Mac OS 9 for macOS/OS X

because this forum (correctly) doesn't allow direct links to systems that include copyrighted software.
Louisbloque
Space Cadet

Post by Louisbloque »

Hello, First i want to warn that my other tongue is french but i quite good understand english (well i think so). I'm struggling trying to install Sheepshaver on my iMac 2012 running Mojave. 'm following a french tutorial on YouTube. The second step after intalling Sheepshaver consist in intalling and running COI.I'm stuck with this one, i downloaded COI (COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 Chubby Bunny .zip), but it won't run. If ever you can help me with this step, i would be thankful. Louis.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Please do not use COI, which causes nothing but trouble. Search the internet for

Mac OS 9 for OS X/macOS

and you will find a much better method.
jlgtx
Space Cadet

Post by jlgtx »

I'm the guy who originally cobbled together COI 4.0.1+, which was based upon gwalkabout's COI 4.0.1 (aka "Chubby Bunny" for some unknown reason). Go ahead and throw your overripe produce in my general direction, but 'way back when I first hacked that together, it was one of the easier ways to get a working Mac OS 9 emulator up and running. Today, though, RR et al are completely correct, COI 4.0.1+ is a hot mess, and you really should make the switch to "vanilla" Sheepshaver. Ron even, very graciously, put together that excellent how-to on making the switch. If you're having any issues with COI, please, for the love of all that's holy, make the switch today.

That said, I do have my pride, so I have updated the downloadable COI 4.0.1+ zip file (which YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT USE!!!) with the proper guts from Sheepshaver 2.5 universal binary. It's running happily on my M1 MacBook Pro.

I'll be in my fallout shelter if you need me.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Haha,

Those who come clean deserve "some" clemency ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

And COI+ was the way I got started, and wouldn't have attempted my own solutions without having had it as an example. So thank you!