No sound in SheepShaver (Mac OS 9 for Windows)

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: No sound in SheepShaver (Mac OS 9 for Windows)

Post by emendelson »

adespoton wrote:emendelson, since you're pre-loading the OS into your app anyway, would it make sense to go in with ResEdit and remove the Restart menu line from the Finder? That way, people can't restart, and many SS issues will be avoided. You could also rename "Shut Down" to "Quit and Save Settings" if you wanted ;)
This is an excellent idea. Thank you. I'll use it. You agree that restarting inside SheepShaver causes problems? That's certainly been my experience.

EDIT: Now that I've looked in the hmnu resource, I find (1) I can't find the Restart item (though I find two Shut Down items) and (2) I don't have the faintest idea of how to edit those resources, and wouldn't dream of trying to work with all that binary code. Am I missing something obvious?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

It definitely doesn't do what people are going to expect it to do. On real hardware, a restart resets everything. On SheepShaver, it just re-loads the OS over the existing memory state and doesn't do anything about the existing configuration, hardware settings, or memory state.

Hmm... are you editing using ResEdit or Resorcerer?

I don't recall the appropriate bits being in the hmnu resource, but I can't remember where I used to mess with that stuff in the Finder. If I get a chance, I'll take a look.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

ResEdit, but Resorcerer doesn't seem to make it any easier. Your idea sounds excellent - anything you can do to help put it into effect will be gratefully received.
WayneCa
Student Driver

Post by WayneCa »

emendelson wrote:
WayneCa wrote:I changed the path to the alias to the same path as indicated in the WinPath.txt file with :Transfer appended to it (I used the set new original button in the Get Info dialog) and the problem was solved. That is the same change I made to the last installation.
That tells me exactly what I needed to know. Thank you. The error was entirely mine, when I updated the hard disk image a few weeks ago, and neglected to delete the Transfer alias before uploading. The current download doesn't have the problem. Thank you again for finding where the error was. The script should be able to recover from the problem by itself, and I may try to add some code that makes it do this more reliably.

Your Windows user folder seems to have a space in its name; I wonder whether that causes some obscure problems on the Windows side of things.

I've also enabled the Built-In sound output option in the new installer. Whether or not this will have any effect on your sound problem, I haven't the faintest idea.

One other point: SheepShaver tends to do strange things when you restart from the Special menu. It's always better to shut down and start up again. (That's what causes this error: "The clear temporary items script and the macos9startup script both report an error that they can't be run because the scripting system isn't available.")
I went back to the page where I downloaded the version I have now, but the link on that page is now returning a 404 error. Have you not made the fixed version available yet?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Hmmm... everything on my Columbia University web site has been compressed to a .gz file. I'll check with the IT department...

EDIT: Well, whatever happened, I can restore files that got compressed so I'm putting them back now.
WayneCa
Student Driver

Post by WayneCa »

I will check it out and see if the link is good now.

Edit: It works now.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

The university IT department restored it this morning.
WayneCa
Student Driver

Post by WayneCa »

OK. I installed a fresh copy using the new installer file. Everything works as it's supposed to, including the Built-in sounds being selected in the Sound CP. But, if anyone is expecting to hear the various sounds, such as those when opening or closing a folder, or moving the mouse over the menu bar, you will be in for a let-down. In order to hear those sounds, you must go to the Appearance CP in Control Panels, select the Sound tab, and set Sound Track to use Platinum Sounds. It is set to None when you first open the CP.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

As far as I remember, Sound track set to "None" in the Appearance control panel was always the default after a new installation. I remember trying the sounds and disabling them again quickly because I found them extremely irritating.
WayneCa
Student Driver

Post by WayneCa »

I'm sure that is the reason it's set to none by default. Different users, different tastes. Let the user decide if they want the sounds or not. I happen to like them, so I have the CP set to Platinum Sounds.