I got Apple's Official MAE 3.0 emulator for HPUX running in Windows

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Newtonian
Space Cadet

I got Apple's Official MAE 3.0 emulator for HPUX running in Windows

Post by Newtonian »

In the mid ‘90s, Apple developed their own 68k Mac emulator called the “Macintosh Application Environment (MAE)” for a bunch of commercial UNIX operating systems. One of these was HP-UX, the OS for HP’s PA-RISC line of workstations.

I have used Qemu to emulate a 32-bit PA-RISC machine on my Windows PC which I used to boot HP-UX 11.11 in which I have successfully launched MAE 3.0 update 2. I have not found any mentions of anyone else trying this approach on the Internet so I wanted to share my discovery.

WARNING! The mouse is really wonky, I have some ideas on how to deal with this but for now controlling the cursor is very difficult. Also, I am a Qemu novice so I have not yet read up on how to enable networking so no networking for now. I have barely tested this so I do not know how stable it is.

Once I find solutions, I will update my instructions.

Setting up HP-UX
First, you must use qemu version 5.1.0. Go to qemu.org and get the installer named qemu-w64-setup-20200814.exe.

You also need hp-ux 11.11 installation media in the .iso format. It comes as four CDs.

You will need the MAE installation media in the .iso format. If you only have loose files, just use Infra Recorder to create a data CD and then instead of burning to a real disc, choose Actions -> Burn Compilation -> To a disc image. I used this to create an .iso the contains the HP-UX installer tarball and a license file.

You need to create the hard drive image. Use whatever tool you have to produce an empty 10GB file. I used the ‘dd’ command in my cygwin environment as such:
dd if=/dev/zero of=hpux11.img bs=1024 count=10M

Next, you may make qemu mount the hard disk image and boot from the first CD by running the following command from a command prompt:
cd /d <dir where qemu is installed>
qemu-system-hppa.exe -global artist.width=1024 -global artist.height=768 -boot d -drive if=scsi,bus=0,index=6,file="D:\hpux11.img",format=raw -m 512 -cdrom D:\hp-ux-1of4.iso

You will be presented with a menu, choose:
“Install HP-UX”
Keep navigating through the pages with the following choices:
“Media only installation”
“Guided installation”
“HP-UX B.11.11 Default”
“HP-UX 11i Base OS-32bit”
Swap 1024 MB
Just keep going with whatever the default suggestions are until you reach this page:
“Select Additional Software”
I just chose to installed everything by scrolling through the list and marking it as “Yes”.
Go through the rest of the dialogs with the default choice until installation begins.
At some point, you will be prompted to insert the second disc:
“To complete the installation you must now insert the B7994 1li Mission Critical OE: CD2” CD.

Just go to the Qemu menu bar and click View -> compatmonitor0

This brings up qemu’s monitor. You may issue commands to the emulator here. To insert the second disc, type:
change scsi0-cd2 d:\downloads\hp-ux-2of4.iso

Go back to the “Computer’s screen” but clicking View -> artist
Press Return.
If you waited too long to do this, you will be presented with the following:
“Unable to verify CD-ROM media content for source “B7994 1li Mission Critical OE: CD2”.

Just press 1 and then go to the qemu monitor to change the CD.

Repeat when prompted for all remaining CDs.

Once installation is complete and the emulated system reboots, quit qemu.

Installing MAE
You may now boot from the virtual hard disk by typing the following in the Windows command prompt:
cd /d <dir where qemu is installed>
qemu-system-hppa.exe -global artist.width=1024 -global artist.height=768 -boot c -drive if=scsi,bus=0,index=6,file="D:\hpux11.img",format=raw -m 512 -cdrom D:\downloads\sorting\HP-UX\hp-ux-1of4.iso
You will now be logged into a graphical environment. Go through dialogs to set your timezone and choose a root password, etc.
Once this is all done, boot into the CDE desktop.
Select the File Manager windows and go to
File -> Open Terminal

This may be difficult because the mouse cursor is hard to control. I am looking for a solution.
In the terminal, type:
cd /
mkdir cdrom
Go to the qemu monitor view and insert your MAE .iso. Go back to the “artist” view.
Type:
mount /dev/dsk/c0t2d0 /cdrom
cd /
mkdir root
cd root
cp /cdrom/hpux10.tar.gz .
gunzip hpux10.tar.gz
tar -xv hpux10.tar
cd hpux10
You must edit the installation shell script since it does not recognize version 11 of hp-ux. It was made for versions 9 and 10 only:
vi INSTALL.SH
Replace:
10.*
With:
11.*
Save and exit.
Type:
./INSTALL.SH
And go through the installation process. I kept all defaults.
Now copy the license file to /opt/apple:
cp /cdrom/license.dat.permanent /opt/apple/license.dat
cd /opt/apple/bin

Running MAE
For some reason, it ignores the DISPLAY environment variable, so must launch:
./mae -display :0.0
Click ‘Agree’ to the license agreement dialog (this will only appear at the first run).
You should now be staring at the a MacOS 7.5.3 desktop.
Last edited by Newtonian on Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Re: I got Apple's Official MAE 3.0 emulator for HPUX running in Windows

Post by ClockWise »

Nice work. I look forward to reading the full report.
Newtonian
Space Cadet

Post by Newtonian »

I have added instructions to reproduce what I did.

As I said, the mouse is very hard to control. As a solution, I want to try HP-UX 9 and 10 to see if it works better or once I get networking up and running, a remote CDE session.

I have already tried doing this with Solaris 2.4 running in qemu-sparc but launching MAE causes a kernel panic. I have a real Sun Ultra 5, I have been meaning to install it there.
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

Very nice. Once the mouse control is fixed in the Windows version of QEMU, I'd like to see if I can access some of the interesting stuff I've dug into. I don't think anyone has seen it before.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Nice work!

I see you are running the Qemu GTK gui. This gives problems with the mouse.
You might want to try running with the SDL gui: -sdl

When running -sdl the menu bar is not available. It can be brought up with: Ctrl-Alt-2
And should be closed with: Ctrl-Alt-2 (do not close the window, as that kills Qemu).

Does the hp machine support USB? In that case you can perhaps add this to the command line: -usb -device usb-mouse
I see it supports the tulip network card, so adding -net nic,model=tulip might get that going on the "hardware" side.

Best,
Cat_7
Newtonian
Space Cadet

Post by Newtonian »

Cat_7 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:09 am Nice work!

I see you are running the Qemu GTK gui. This gives problems with the mouse.
You might want to try running with the SDL gui: -sdl

When running -sdl the menu bar is not available. It can be brought up with: Ctrl-Alt-2
And should be closed with: Ctrl-Alt-2 (do not close the window, as that kills Qemu).

Does the hp machine support USB? In that case you can perhaps add this to the command line: -usb -device usb-mouse
I see it supports the tulip network card, so adding -net nic,model=tulip might get that going on the "hardware" side.

Best,
Cat_7
Thanks.

I used the Qemu default GUI which I guess is GTK+. I also tried Qemu's VNC interface and it does the same mouse thing. I tried using the qemu monitor to issue mouse move commands and it behaves the same way.

I'll try the SDL interface but I think it is related to the mouse hardware emulation rather than the emulator's GUI.

I'll have to look it up for USB support.
swordlink1
Tinkerer

Post by swordlink1 »

I think that if you start a X server on the host, you can add usermode networking to QEMU, then do something like

Code: Select all

export DISPLAY=local_ip_here:0
and then run the MAE 3.0 Emulator from the terminal, you can get the UI (not the actual emulator itself) running on the host.
If you need more info, tell me ;)
swordlink1
Tinkerer

Post by swordlink1 »

swordlink1 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:55 pm

Opps, I didn't read the whole post and it ignores the DISPLAY variable. Maybe

./mae -display localiphere:0.0
will work.
swordlink1
Tinkerer

Post by swordlink1 »

swordlink1 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:58 am
swordlink1 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:55 pm

Opps, I didn't read the whole post and it ignores the DISPLAY variable. Maybe

./mae -display localiphere:0.0
will work.
Welp, I'm going to try it today/ tomorrow, and tell you how it goes.