Installing COIV4.0.1+ on Sierra?

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

zax
Space Cadet

Installing COIV4.0.1+ on Sierra?

Post by zax »

Hello,

Sorry if this question was already asked.
I would like to run Classic on Sierra OS and I'm lost with all SheepShaver installs I found :(

I first tried "COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny " but nothing happened when I double-clicked the "COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny".app" (yes, I confirmed the app opening in the Sierra Security System Prefs).
Then I tried "COIV4.0.1+", found at https://www.experts-exchange.com/articl ... Intel.html
I moved:
- "400Meg.dmg"
- "800Meg.dmg"
- "1200Meg.dmg"
files to my "/users/shared" folder and then lauched "Classic.app". The OS9 startup screen is well lauched in a new window but I have the well know flashing "?" on a disk icon, meaning the startup disk cann't be found.

So, have I missed something? I understood this was an "all-in-one" solution that doesn't require extra pieces like ROM or Classic OS.

Thank you for your help.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Installing COIV4.0.1+ on Sierra?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Note that we do not support COI. It should run on macOS Sierra, though. Just launch the "Classic" application, nothing else is needed. The .dmg files are only needed in the /Users/Shared/ folder when you need more disk space.

Strange that SheepShaver does not find the startup disk. That disk (image) is hidden inside the Classic application. Launching the app should write the configuration with the path to the startup disk image to the hidden prefs file in your Home folder. Did you try to quit Classic (you may need to force quit SheepShaver) and launch Classic again?
zax
Space Cadet

Post by zax »

Thank you Ronald, and sorry if it was not the correct forum.

Yes, I used force-quit and tried several times with same result.
Coult it be a ROM problem? I don't understand Sheepshaver prefs.

Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The rom was found, otherwise you would not have the blinking question mark. It is just that no bootable disk was found.
My guess is that the 400Mb disk image is not the startup image.
Can you move the COIHD.dmg to the top position? Perhaps you need to remove all disks and then add the COIHD.dmg as first disk.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

None of the .dmg disk images shown are startup disk images. The first three are empty and the other two do not exist. For some unknown reason the startup volume does not appear. The volumes written to the preferences file after Classic.app is launched at least once should be:

Code: Select all

disk /Users/ronald/Desktop/COIV4.0.1+/Classic.app/COI.app/.Classic.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/400Meg.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/800Meg.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/1200Meg.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/MyOldHD.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/COIHD.dmg
(In this example the COIV4.0.1+ folder was on my desktop.)

Classic.app overwrites all of the prefs file each time it is launched, so it is really strange that the top line is missing.
Note that making changes in SheepShaver preferences is useless as any change will be overwritten the next time Classic.app is launched.

Maybe there is some interference with the COI Chubby Bunny that was tried before COIV4.0.1+.

Download these SheepShaver scripts: https://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver ... arized.zip and run the script "Delete Prefs File".
Then try again launching Classic.app.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

You might be able to save yourself a lot of trouble by searching Google for this:

Mac OS 9 for macOS
Last edited by emendelson on Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zax
Space Cadet

Post by zax »

Cat_7 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:36 amCan you move the COIHD.dmg to the top position? Perhaps you need to remove all disks and then add the COIHD.dmg as first disk.
Well, I cann't add any file as I cann't see them.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:18 amDownload these SheepShaver scripts: https://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver ... arized.zip and run the script "Delete Prefs File".
Then try again launching Classic.app.
OK, I removed all 3 .dmg files from my shared folder and run the script you provides to delete Sheepshaver prefs.

I then tried to launch Classic.app with the same result (no startup disk).
After that, I moved the COIV4.0.1+ folder to my desktop (it was originaly in a second internal volume): when I launched Classic.app, I only have the Finder short icon animation, showing me I have double-clicked on a app, but nothing else :(
I also tried to move the COIV4.0.1+ in another folder of my main volume but it was the same.

I looked permission's Classic app but they seem to be correct (read/write OK allowed for me). So I'm rather confused.

I have a french localized version of Sierra (10.12.6) running on a MacBook Pro 17'' (end of 2011) 2.5Ghz Intel Core i7 with 16 Gb RAM.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Whatever the cause, apparently this does not work for you.

Better get rid of this COIV4.0.1+ and follow emendelson's advice above. You will find another easy to set up SheepShaver configuration that, in contrast to the abandoned COIV4.0.1+, is still actively being developed and supported (by emendelson).
zax
Space Cadet

Post by zax »

OK, thank you for the advice.
But... where am I supposed to search? If I search in this forum with "Mac OS 9 for macOS", it says: "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: macos mac for os 9.".
And of course if I search on Google, I got tons of results, but nothing with "emendelson".
Do you have a direct link?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

We do not give a direct link because it this board's policy is to not link to EULA or copyright protected material. Pre-configured SheepShaver setups do contain such software from Apple.

Search the internet for: Mac OS 9 for macOS

The very first result in Google will probably be "Mac OS 9 for OS X/macOS". That is what you will be looking for.
zax
Space Cadet

Post by zax »

Oh, OK, I understand.
Thank you for all your replies and your help :)

(I'm eager to launch a standalone app I made a long time ago with Hypercard!)