Using Mac OS 9.app

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

zax
Space Cadet

Using Mac OS 9.app

Post by zax »

Mac OS 9.app works like a charm :)

I would like to know what is the safest way to store personal files used by Classic.
I managed to transfer a file from OSX to Classic, but I would like to know where this file used by Classic is stored, for a backup strategy.
In addition, I created a volume "MyVolume" usable by Classic thanks to the applescripts availabl at launch with ALT key. Are the files transferred and copied to this volume by Classic stored in /Application Support/MyVolume? If I transfer Mac OS 9.app and this "MyVolume" file to another machine, will I still be able to access it?

Thank you.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Using Mac OS 9.app

Post by emendelson »

zax wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:54 am I would like to know what is the safest way to store personal files used by Classic.
I managed to transfer a file from OSX to Classic, but I would like to know where this file used by Classic is stored, for a backup strategy.
In addition, I created a volume "MyVolume" usable by Classic thanks to the applescripts availabl at launch with ALT key. Are the files transferred and copied to this volume by Classic stored in /Application Support/MyVolume? If I transfer Mac OS 9.app and this "MyVolume" file to another machine, will I still be able to access it?
I got confused by your referring to SheepShaver as "Classic". If you used my option to create a user disk, you will find it in ~/Library/Application Support/MacOS9, with the filename that has your username and ".dsk" (for example, "zax.dsk").

That disk will appear on the SheepShaver desktop, as a volume named with your macOS username. You can copy files into it by hand. Nothing will go into it automatically.

I've never tried copying that disk from Application Support to another system. I simply don't remember whether it it will work or not. EDIT: See next post; it works.
Last edited by emendelson on Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zax
Space Cadet

Re: Using Mac OS 9.app

Post by zax »

I moved Mac OS 9.app and ~/Library/Application Support/MacOS9 (that contained a user defined .dsk file to another machine (a MacBook Pro with El Capitan), and all is working fine.
I've heard about Sheepshaver a long time ago but never tried to install it because it seemed too complicated to me. Now, with your solution, it's just magic ! :)