Apple Sound Manager w/ Sheepshaver Wrapper

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

pmj
Inquisitive Elf

Apple Sound Manager w/ Sheepshaver Wrapper

Post by pmj »

Is there a way to get Apple Sound Manger working?

Audio applications I’ve used that can work with the “Built In” sound option are working fine and pass audio to /dev/dsp but I have some that look for Apple Sound Manager to do that (on a normal Mac OS9 machine it just passes sound to the headphone socket). Under Sheepshaver it causes those programs to crash or throw up errors.

Is there a way to bypass this or otherwise tell Apple Sound Manager to go to /dev/dsp?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Apple Sound Manager w/ Sheepshaver Wrapper

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I suppose this is not an issue that is specific for the Wrapper.

The "Sound Manager" extension is usually part of the QuickTime installation.
Note that QT 4.1.2 is the latest version that is compatible with SheepShaver.
Make sure an "Apple Audio Extension" is disabled or removed if it happens to be installed. It is incompatible with SheepShaver.

In all the 15 years I use SheepShaver, I never had an application specifically looking for the Sound Manager. In fact, I have Sound Manger extension disabled and never encountered a problem with that.

Which are the applications that appear to need the Sound Manager?
(Of course, SheepShaver does not emulate a headphone jack.)
pmj
Inquisitive Elf

Post by pmj »

I have Quicktime 4.1 installed and the "Apple Audio Extension" is disabled.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:20 pm In all the 15 years I use SheepShaver, I never had an application specifically looking for the Sound Manager. In fact, I have Sound Manger extension disabled and never encountered a problem with that.

Which are the applications that appear to need the Sound Manager?
At the moment it appears to be those looking for the ASIO Apple Sound Manager driver (is that different to the Apple Sound Manager?) so sonicWORX PowerBundle, SuperCollider 2.2.16, Peak 3.21 needs it in order to run any VST plugins... These all have a folder called "ASIO Drivers" containing this "ASIO SoundManager" that Sheepshaver seems not to like.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Yes, those are different things. From Apple are the extensions "Sound Manager" and "Apple Audio Extension".

The ASIO drivers are third party (Prosoniq / sonicWORX) software that I do not know much about.

When you search Macintosh Garden for sonicWORX and prosoniq, you should find software that is supposed to work in SheepShaver.
pmj
Inquisitive Elf

Post by pmj »

Great, thanks for the tip.

The other thing that helps quite a bit is to use the Prosoniq ASIO Sound Manager for Classic mode mentioned in one of the older posts here. Dropping this driver into the ASIO folders on the programs I mentioned seems to work well:

http://web.archive.org/web/201606261623 ... er.sit.hqx