Sharing files between Big Sur host and 10.4

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

rpatters1
Tinkerer

Sharing files between Big Sur host and 10.4

Post by rpatters1 »

Last August I set up a qemu virtual for MacOSX 10.4 and got it working on my then Mojave host. I even got the network share working between host and guest OSes. In the intervening months I upgraded my host to Big Sur, and now I can no longer access the host File Sharing. It puts up a message about "Looking for IP address xxx" (which is the correct IP address) but never connects.

The guest networking is otherwise working. I can reach websites on the internet with Safari. I can ping the server address, and it responds (though with a strange error). Anyway, I am here to find out if file sharing works between 10.4 and Big Sur. I haven't found any notes saying it doesn't.

As an alternative I tried the trick of mounting a folder as a USB drive. It worked for my immediate purposes to load some files, but then the host would not see any changes made to it by the guest.

Is there any better alternative to transferring files other than the tedium of a disc image that can't be concurrently mounted in both environments? I don't think I can even use email to transfer files, because I doubt any of the 10.4 tools are compatible 2021 Gmail. (Though I suppose it's worth investigating.)

I would really like to get this working because it will allow me to continue running Word 2004 that I have been running on a VMWare 10.6 virtual that will cease to work on Apple Silicon. (I'm counting on a version of qemu to work on Silicon. LOL)
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Sharing files between Big Sur host and 10.4

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Can you show us your command line to see how you set up the network connection?
Mail will indeed not work with the old Safari browser. You might have more luck with: https://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/
Perhaps a solution can be found by running the ftp server on your 10.4 guest and to access it through e.g. the Filezilla program on your host.

Unfortunately I don't have a M1 machine to build a Qemu-system-ppc version for it ;-) , or rather :cry:

Best,
Cat_7
rpatters1
Tinkerer

Post by rpatters1 »

Here is my command line.

./qemu-system-ppc \
-L pc-bios \
-boot c \
-M mac99,via=pmu \
-m 512 \
-prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' \
-prom-env 'boot-args=-v' \
-prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' \
-drive file=MacOS10.4.qcow2,format=qcow2,media=disk \
-netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 \
-device VGA,edid=on \
-device usb-storage,drive=fat16 -drive file=fat:rw:fat-type=16:/Users/<me>/Qemudisk,id=fat16,format=raw,if=none

This was what was working with Mojave (minus the usb-storage drive).

As for Silicon, I am not moving to it yet, just getting my contingencies in order.
rpatters1
Tinkerer

Post by rpatters1 »

Just to document the results: tenfourfox can open 2021 Gmail in basic html mode, and it it can send a message with an attachment. The basic html UI is clunky (no drag & drop of attachments), and it runs painfully slow.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I looked into some documentation, and it appears support for the afp protocol was removed from Big Sur, so the solution you used will not work anymore.
Support for afp was also removed from Catalina host when the shared folder was not on a HFS+ formatted volume.

For now it seems the only solution to have more or less direct read/write access to a folder on a Big Sur installation from Qemu is to use the ftp service.
We have some info on how to use that here: (see heading " Getting files in and out of the guest with FTP" ): https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... networking

Best,
Cat_7
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

What about using netatalk?
https://github.com/dgsga/netatalk
Dave Griffin advertises it as a AFP 2 server as macOS is providing AFP 3 by itself. But netatalk, as he’s using the most recent version, should also provide AFP 3 and might work for APFS volumes as well. Might be worth a try.
rpatters1
Tinkerer

Post by rpatters1 »

When I go to set up FTP in the guest, it gives the following warning:
FTP is not installed on this computer. To install FTP, install the BSD packages using the Mac OSX Installer
However, when I rebooted into the Mac OSX Installer on the osx10411.iso disc image, I could not find an option to install BSD packages. So I ignored the warning and started FTP sharing anyway. The guest OS did not complain.

However, when I tried to access the guest from FileZilla running on the host, it errored out with
Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server", trying next address.
Here is my command line currently:

./qemu-system-ppc \
-L pc-bios \
-boot c \
-M mac99,via=pmu \
-m 512 \
-prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' \
-prom-env 'boot-args=-v' \
-prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' \
-drive file=MacOS10.4.qcow2,format=qcow2,media=disk \
-device sungem,netdev=network01 \
-netdev user,id=network01,hostfwd=tcp::2121-:21 \
-device VGA,edid=on \
rpatters1
Tinkerer

Post by rpatters1 »

Somehow I made progress now the error from FileZilla is
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 robert-pattersons-power-mac-g4-agp-graphics.local FTP server (tnftpd 20061217) ready.
Command: AUTH TLS
Response: 502 RFC 2228 authentication not implemented.
Command: AUTH SSL
Response: 502 RFC 2228 authentication not implemented.
Command: USER anonymous
Response: 530 User anonymous unknown.
Any ideas?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You should also be able to use NFS on both 10.4 and 11. I'm not sure about the filesystem restrictions though, nor resource fork handling.
rpatters1
Tinkerer

Post by rpatters1 »

So now I tried with my user/pwd from the guest host, and that gets me further:
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/Users/<me>" is the current directory.
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 Type set to I.
Command: PORT 127,0,0,1,227,214
Response: 500 Illegal PORT command rejected
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing
rpatters1
Tinkerer

Post by rpatters1 »

adespoton wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:59 pm You should also be able to use NFS on both 10.4 and 11. I'm not sure about the filesystem restrictions though, nor resource fork handling.
Do mean using smb: instead of afp:? If so, I already tried that and it makes no difference. (And I have enabled smb on the host.) Or do you mean something else?

EDIT: Never mind. I see now you are talking about Unix file sharing. Seems promising. I'll give it a try.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Assuming you use the command line setting you posted above:
-device sungem,netdev=network01 \
-netdev user,id=network01,hostfwd=tcp::2121-:21 \

First set Filezilla to use Active mode, so at the Connection/FTP setting select Active.
You should enter the IP address of your host, the username and password with admin rights you use in the guest and port number 2121.

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...

Best,
Cat_7
rpatters1
Tinkerer

Post by rpatters1 »

SUCCESS!!!

I neeeded to hard-code the IP address of the machine (192.168.1.2 in my case), rather than specifying localhost.

Thank you!!