Caps Lock key not passed though?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Halcyon
Student Driver

Caps Lock key not passed though?

Post by Halcyon »

Hi, I'm running the latest Basilisk II build for MacOS (SDL2 port, 14 June 2021, universal) on Mac OS Big Sur with a USA/English keyboard, but I can't figure out how to get Caps Lock to pass through into Mac OS 7.6. I searched through the forums and couldn't find any current known issues related to this and my understanding from the setup guide is that I shouldn't need a key codes file.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding or doing something dumb? Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Caps Lock key not passed though?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You are not doing anything dumb. It is a bug in the latest BasiliskII build. With or without the keycodes file, caps-lock is not registered in BasiliskII.

I checked SheepShaver and the bug is also present in the current SheepShaver build. I will try to find when (in which previous build) the bug was introduced and then I will notify developer kanjitalk755 about the bug.

(If you use a US-English keyboard layout you do not need the keycodes file, but using it does no harm either.)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You wrote that you run BasiliskII on macOS 11 (Big Sur). Is that on an Intel Mac or on a M1 Mac?

Here, in Big Sur on Apple Silicon, the issue is present even in a (Intel) SheepShaver build from October 2019, so the issue may be related to Big Sur and/or Apple Silicon.
Halcyon
Student Driver

Post by Halcyon »

Thanks for the reply! This saves me from wasting time on additional troubleshooting.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:16 am Is that on an Intel Mac or on a M1 Mac?
I'm on an Intel Mac.
Halcyon
Student Driver

Post by Halcyon »

On the off chance that someone knows a workaround, I should mention that my interest in caps lock is purely to active the interactive mode of some After Dark screensavers like Lunatic Fringe. I've explored the After Dark control panel and module settings but I don't see any way to re-bind the caps lock toggle.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The solution should be made in BasiliskII and SheepShaver (which share much of their code).

I will contact the developer about the issue.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

It is a bug in both BasiliskII and SheepShaver. The bug was introduced some time between September 2020 and February 2021. I posted the issue in github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I posted a new (1 August) universal build in which the Caps Lock key issue is fixed: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7361
Halcyon
Student Driver

Post by Halcyon »

Thank you! The new build works as expected and I can happily play Lunatic Fringe again. It runs perfectly!