Running "The Phoenix"?

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

carfesh
Space Cadet

Running "The Phoenix"?

Post by carfesh »

Hi,

so I'm trying to run an old PD game called "The Phoenix", which I found here: http://macintoshgarden.org/games/the-phoenix

It is one of the first games I played as a child on my parent's Mac Classic, which I somewhwat surprisingly have very fond memories of. You can seen some gameplay here (not by me): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCQ6KFeM_N4

I'd really like to be able to run this via Mini vMac. I've managed to transfer it into an emulated mac and unstuff the .sit, receiving a file called Phoenix.img.

However the disk image is not being accepted. If I drag&drop the disk onto Mini vMac, I receive an error message saying:

Please unlock the disk "Phoenix" and try again. The desktop file couldn't be created.

I tried some other .img files, they can be used in the same way. So I have the feeling that something may be wrong with that disk image.

Am I doing something wrong, or can the file just not be used on Mini vMac? The site I have it from claims it should work.

Thanks for any tips you might have!

Best regards,
Torsten
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Running "The Phoenix"?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Which System version do you run in Mini vMac?
I get the same message when I drag the game .img into Mini vMac window running System 6.0.8. But the .img mounts fine in System 7.0.1 and the game can be played. But, frankly, I do not know how. Fly North, fly South, fly West, fly East, and Search. Neither brings me to a place where I can continue.
carfesh
Space Cadet

Post by carfesh »

Ah, interesting - I had been using version 6. I remember struggling with the game back when I played it; I'm not a native English speaker and hadn't seen 2010 in English. You can see the commands in the gameplay video I linked. You can get to the Discovery and it has an Eliza-like language interpreter. The author himself commented on the YouTube video and thanked the video author for reminding him of how horrible his game was. It's no great game, but just hearing the title music again is surely great :)

It was really one of the first things I played and you don't forget these things...

I tried it using 7.0.1 and it actually works like a charm, thank you so much for trying it out!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

In the early days some games were on a disk that was a startup disk by itself, just for the game. I suppose that was the same with this game. The available disk image contains just the game. It runs with the System 7.0.1 desktop visible behind the game. Yes, the sound is impressive.