Qemu-system-m68k for Windows to run AUX 3.x

About Qemu-system-m68k, a m68k Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run MacOS 7.1 to 8.1, AUX 3.x and NetBSD

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cat_7
Expert User

Qemu-system-m68k for Windows to run AUX 3.x

Post by Cat_7 »

So there we go!

Thanks to the awesome work by some of the Qemu developers you can now run AUX 3.x with Qemu, emulating a Quadra 800 machine:

Note: downloads removed, see topic: viewtopic.php?t=11727

Guide is here: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/m6 ... in_windows

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Qemu-system-m68k for Windows to run AUX 3.x

Post by adespoton »

Does it run all versions of 3.x, or just the same ones as Shoebill?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

It runs 3.0.1 up to 3.1.1

Best,
Cat_7
Lotta
Space Cadet

Post by Lotta »

Incredible news, thanks
jonirob
Tinkerer

Post by jonirob »

Hi, I have a problem with installing A/UX 3.0.1. When starting the installer I'm greeted by a screen with the message "I'm sorry, but I can't find a volume which looks like an installation CD. Did you put one in?".
I downloaded the A/UX 3.0.1 toast image from the recommended source and renamed it to AUX301.iso.
Where am I going wrong?
P.S. I had no problems installing and running Mac OS 8.0.
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

i would have thought that my old shoebill stuff would work as they were partitioned and formatted, but no luck there.

even more weird any time I go to partition the disk it fails, just as trying to do a media test fails....... must be something locking it RO?
don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The "did you put one in message" would appear when the cdrom drive is not recognised.
Did you boot from the boot floppy image I prepared? And is the command line reflecting the correct cdrom drive make and model?

Best,
Cat_7
jonirob
Tinkerer

Post by jonirob »

Hi Cat_7.
Yes I used your boot floppy, this is my command line;

-device scsi-cd,scsi-id=3,drive=cd0,vendor="MATSHITA",product="CD-ROM CR-8005",ver="1.0k" ^
-drive file=AUX301.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom,if=none,id=cd0
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

something weird in how its picking up disks. it reads some partitioned disks i have but not all. the easy install will destroy anything (which is fine, its all virtual) so I overwrote my 8.1 2G disk and it's up.

not sure why it wouldn't use fresh qemu-img disks for me..... maybe its the vendor check in scsi?

with enough messing with disks, I have 3.0 installed, and I can telnet in. AWESOME. And even better IDLE works, so it's not eating 100% of a core!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Neozeed, are you planning to post a blog when you've tested everything out?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

-device scsi-cd,scsi-id=3,drive=cd0,vendor="MATSHITA",product="CD-ROM CR-8005",ver="1.0k" ^
-drive file=AUX301.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom,if=none,id=cd0
Should be correct. How did you extract the AUX_3.0.1_Install.toast_image.gz
I used 7-zip and that produces a working image.

Best,
Cat_7
mcayland
Mac Mechanic

Post by mcayland »

neozeed wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:21 pm something weird in how its picking up disks. it reads some partitioned disks i have but not all. the easy install will destroy anything (which is fine, its all virtual) so I overwrote my 8.1 2G disk and it's up.
I wonder if this is a case of disk image vs. partition image? neozeed, please can you try the following on your images and post the results?

Code: Select all

dd if=goodimage bs=512 count=1 | hexdump -C
and:

dd if=badimage bs=512 count=1 | hexdump -C
Many thanks :)
jonirob
Tinkerer

Post by jonirob »

I also used 7-zip, I also tried stuffit for Windows, with no success.
I'm on Windows 10 by the way.
n008
Space Cadet

Post by n008 »

excellent work! great to see such solid progress.

With this alpha build of qemu, which source-repo is being used for the build? I would like to build for Linux if I could please. thanks.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

See here:
viewtopic.php?f=37&p=71794#p71794

Best,
Cat_7
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

I finally had some time today to look at A/UX and back in the Shoebill days people ran it off the CD-ROM which obviously isn't the way to go. Back then I'd been doing dump/restores onto disk images I'd partitioned under my Basilisk patch to do SCSI images.

Another thing is that I found back then that 3.0.0 was far more stable than 3.0.1. It could have been the emulation or being a 68020 level but 3.0.1 had other issues like not wanting to run the /mac applications, I would restore 3.0.0.'s onto a 3.0.1 dump to get it to run although.

Anyways while I did partition them, I didn't have a 'blessed' or bootable system 7 disk, and I never noticed as Shoebill boots the A/UX kernel directly. I added my disks to a qemu instance and read them fine. Also I didn't have a 3.0.0 boot disk handy although the files are basically on the CD-ROM which brought me to the other issue.

3.0.0 locks hard trying to load with the 3.0.1 boot disk. And then loading the install stuff from the 3.0.0 CD from the CD-ROM gave me a system disk that isn't compatible for the Quadra 800.

It'd been a long while since I'd messed with it, and so much fun remembering partitioning, formatting stuff as I wanted slices a certain size & layout, and everything that came with that, along with a fstab where volumes are not mounted properly thanks to the installer... :|

Anyways I have it running up on a hosted server, I followed the build instructions for Linux, copied the image up, and transported gopher in there, and moved my site gopher://gopher.superglobalmegacorp.com to there. And it's up and running!

So far it's super fast! I'll have to see if it can maintain a few days of uptime. I'll have to move it to tun/tap later but for now I'm using usermode nat, and it's still fine, I did a wget from my old gopher some 40MB downloaded in a few seconds.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Thanks for the report. The shoebill site details how it runs A/UX. Pruten wrote: Supports A/UX 1.1.1 through 3.1 (and 3.1.1 a little)
The Quadra (according to plamen's site) will only run 3.0.1 and above, as you found out ;-)
https://www.aux-penelope.com/hardware.htm
I also saw you were putting it through its paces with whisper...Oracle?

Best,
Cat_7
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

it'd been so long I'd forgotten! I never could get Shoebill to stay on the network for more than 12 hours so sadly it was unsuitable for hosting stuff.

qemu040.root # uptime
  2:35am  up 18:13,  2 users,  load average: 1.00 1.00 1.00
I know I'm tempting fate, but 18 hours now!

I also have the system's update accessible over gopher!
[url]gopher://gopher.superglobalmegacorp.com/00/decode-n-scripts/uptime[/url]

If anyone wants to keep tabs on it. Not that it's all that exciting!

There certainly was some weird things going from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1 on the 68020 although with a 68040 and a newer model at that, there really is no choice. Maybe the 700 would have handled it better? On actual hardware a LONG LONG time ago I ran it on a 950 and looking at the chart I'm fairly certain it was 3.0.0. I thought that machine was as fast as it'd ever get, but wow, Qemu blows it away! :D

I forget where I exactly got Oracle for it, but it's the only thing I have that is A/UX specific. I'll have to make some project out of it, besides the gopher thing. Although I know at some point I was in the top 20 in the world, so there is that too!
bsilver
Space Cadet

Post by bsilver »

You're hosting a gopher server to a QEMU instance of A/UX? Is there a special configuration to use for the network to allow that? Following the steps in the howto looks like A/UX is running through some kind of NAT 10.x.x.x network...I can get my brand new installation to ping Google's name servers (8.8.8.8) but the ethernet address isn't using my internal network's address space...
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes, that is the default when using -net user in Qemu.

A/UX does not do DHCP, so you always have to set the network manually. Our guide describes the settings to be made when using the Qemu-internal DHCP server that runs on the 10.0.x.x network and does NAT.

You can do two things:
1. Add redirections to the command line. This opens individual ports to the host and other machines.
2. Run with tap networking. This gives you full network access but if the A/UX machine is fully exposed to the internet without decent firewall.....

See here under "forwarding ports to the host" for examples of how to set up redirections:
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... networking

Best,
Cat_7