Could not initialize SDL: Audio target 'dsound' not available

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

pengusaur
Space Cadet

Could not initialize SDL: Audio target 'dsound' not available

Post by pengusaur »

Hello,

I'm running Windows 10, using the SheepShaver for Windows (29-05-2021) build. I have used an old version of SheepShaver successfully in the past before on W10, but I got a new computer recently, so I moved my old mac os 9.0 volume, and grabbed the new version of SheepShaver. When I try to launch my volume through the GUI I get the error: Could not initialize SDL: Audio target 'dsound' not available. I tried enabling Disable Sound Output, but that did not seem to help.

I tried the same mac 9.0 volume on my older version of SheepShaver (I believe it's the SheepShaver for Windows (06-05-2013) version) and it seems to still be working fine, audio and everything. Any insight would be much appreciated, thank you!
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Could not initialize SDL: Audio target 'dsound' not available

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Did you put your new 2021 SheepShaver in a new folder making sure not to mix files from the old and new versions?
If so, might there be an application running already using audio?

Best,
Cat_7
pengusaur
Space Cadet

Re: Could not initialize SDL: Audio target 'dsound' not available

Post by pengusaur »

Hi Cat_7!

Yes, I made a whole new folder for the new version so that I didn't get the files mixed up. I don't know what else could be hogging audio, as audio works with just about every other application and game I use.