QEMU VNC mouse doesn't move in tablet mode os9

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

logan71f100
Space Cadet

QEMU VNC mouse doesn't move in tablet mode os9

Post by logan71f100 »

What I am trying to do is have a headless os9 running in QEMU and use the native vnc support in QEMU to access the screen. That is setup and works as expected but the mouse only works in ps/2 mode and that is clearly very undesirable (mouse is never lined up). I set it up in tablet mode and when I am in the QEMU window on the host the mouse works perfect (i added tablet mode to os9 with: https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macos9-usb-tablet). That same tablet mode results in the mouse not moving at all over vnc, if I ctrl+alt 2 and switch the mouse type from tablet mode it starts working again but not lined up at all as expected, cant get to any buttons on edges. Is there anyone in here that ran into this? Am I the only one using QEMU VNC?

Iv thought about running a vnc application on the vm itself but performance was meh at best. Any tips would be worth a lot to me, its a sin to say but I am trying to adapt this into a production environment...
logan71f100
Space Cadet

Re: QEMU VNC mouse doesn't move in tablet mode os9

Post by logan71f100 »

upon further investigation these seems to be a issue on Linux. I am testing the QEMU on windows and its working as expected over VNC. That is to say if QEMU is running on a windows host, it just works over vnc with tablet mode. So what could be causing Linux version to not work? I did compile it from source, are there any configure flags im missing? I am trying to run it on Ubuntu server 21
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I seem to remember the usb-tablet driver only works with Mac OS 9.2 and that it might not be perfect.
I have no idea why this wouldn't work with a Linux build. I think this kind of question should better go to the Qemu developers list or issue tracker:
https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues

Best,
Cat_7
logan71f100
Space Cadet

Post by logan71f100 »

alright il add it in there and see what happens, thanks!

btw it is os9.2
logan71f100
Space Cadet

Post by logan71f100 »

this was fixed by removing the via=pmu part of the start arguments now its fixed!