Same OS 9 software and a new behavior ...

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Same OS 9 software and a new behavior ...

Post by rlesperance »

I have been using a SimplyAccounting software (in French «Simple Comptable» on OS 9. It has worked flawlessly for years because of your help and work. I thank you very much for that.

A few months ago, the app began displaying a new message telling when saving the app: «The printing information or the window position have not been saved». It seems to be a message created by OS 9 as I see it. But is that it ? See a little video here.

I didn't change or upgrade any of the OS 9 system files or the SheepShaver app. My understanding is that SheepShaver is creating a self contained environment for OS 9 and the app that I run in OS 9.

What could be responsible for that new behavior ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Same OS 9 software and a new behavior ...

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I think the correct translation would be: «The printing information or the window position could not be saved»
The message originates in MacOS9, probably from the Finder or from the application you use.

Did you change the location to where you save the files?

If you save the files outside SheepShaver via the shared folder, did the message start after upgrading OSX/macOS to a newer version? If you use a SheepShaver build from before 2020 in a macOS 10.13.x or later, files transferred through the shared folder/Unix will loose their resource forks.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

The message began way before I moved my files to Dropbox. That's been going on for a year or so and I cannot recall if I did a change that explains that behavior.

Let's start by ... what and where exactly is the «shared folder» ?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

The shared folder is the folder named "Unix" in SheepShaver and designated by "extfs" in the prefs file.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Hi Ronald,

Sorry for not being quick about the shared folder. Got it !

As for your questions:

1. Did you change the location to where you save the files? -> No

2. If you save the files outside SheepShaver via the shared folder, did the message start after upgrading OSX/macOS to a newer version ? -> Never realized the change. Since my data in the shared folder is saved to a symlink folder, I made a test and saved a new data file directly to the shared folder (not nested in the symlink folder) and I got the same printing message.

If you use a SheepShaver build from before 2020 in a macOS 10.13.x or later, files transferred through the shared folder/Unix will loose their resource forks. -> My OS is Catalina (v10.15.7) and SheepShaver is 2.5 (v2019.05.04). What is the consequence of loosing the ressource forks and should I upgrade to the latest SheepShaver ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

rlesperance wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:02 am
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:If you save the files outside SheepShaver via the shared folder, did the message start after upgrading OSX/macOS to a newer version ?
Never realized the change. Since my data in the shared folder is saved to a symlink folder, I made a test and saved a new data file directly to the shared folder (not nested in the symlink folder) and I got the same printing message.
You did not answer my question: Did the messages start after upgrading the host to a newer macOS version?

rlesperance wrote:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:If you use a SheepShaver build from before 2020 in a macOS 10.13.x or later, files transferred through the shared folder/Unix will loose their resource forks.
My OS is Catalina (v10.15.7) and SheepShaver is 2.5 (v2019.05.04). What is the consequence of loosing the ressource forks and should I upgrade to the latest SheepShaver?
Catalina uses the APFS file system, successor to the HFS+ file system. Older SheepShaver builds cannot handle the new file system in Unix/shared folder. Files moved via Unix will loose their resource fork. Many Classic Mac file formats will thus be damaged and will become useless. In newer SheepShaver builds this issue is solved. Yes, you should upgrade to the latest SheepShaver build.

Apart from this issue in older SheepShaver builds with the shared folder and the APFS file system: I am not sure that resource forks will survive in Dropbox.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Good morning Ronald,

Thanks for the follow up.

I did reply: never realized the change. I could have been more precise, though. The OS 9 app is not used very often, so I didn't link the problem to any OS X upgrade, but it most certainly is related. APFS file system could be the answer.

I will upgrade SheepShaver and get back with the result.

Regards.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

The new 2021.08.01 update fixed the problem. Yeah ! Thanks you so much. In the previous update, I probably did not swap the keycodes file.

Going deeper in OS 9:

• when launching my OS 9 app, how can it select a specific folder ?
• can I modify the name of the Unix folder ?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

rlesperance wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:30 pm • when launching my OS 9 app, how can it select a specific folder ?
If you mean, "How can an application running inside SheepShaver select a folder in which to save files?" The answer depends on the application. You will need to experiment. If you mean something else, please explain. Please try to ask questions as if you are asking them to someone who knows absolutely nothing about what you are trying to do, and who will need every possible detail (preferably with examples) in order to understand what you are asking. Please try to imagine that the person asking the question does not know anything about your system or your applications.
rlesperance wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:30 pm • can I modify the name of the Unix folder ?
No, but you can create a shortcut (alias) to it with any name you like.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Thanks.