Prefs Editor

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Calvinball33
Space Cadet

Prefs Editor

Post by Calvinball33 »

How the heck do I get to the Sheepshaver GUI / SheepShaver Preferenced Editor to edit prefs AFTER I've already set up Sheepshaver?

I've been using Sheepshaver for years; I get the prefs editor pane fine on on first start or if I manually delete my existing prefs file, I can manually edit the file myself, I can't use the standalone "SheepShaverPrefs" editor as I'm on Big Sur and all the builds I have found are 32-bit.

(This is probably stupid but I've banged my head against the wall for so long and searched every single forum post I can find and can't find anything about editing it AFTER setting it up).
Last edited by Calvinball33 on Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Prefs Editor

Post by adespoton »

SheepShaver menu: Preferences.

When done, quit SheepShaver and relaunch.

Or... manually edit the prefs file in ~/.sheepshaver_prefs -- you can do this from Terminal.app by typing

Code: Select all

open -t ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
Calvinball33
Space Cadet

Post by Calvinball33 »

I can manually edit, as I mentioned.

But I can't access the preferences GUI directly any way I can find, and there is no menu bar when you are in full screen so that isn't an option.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Calvinball33 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:03 pm I can manually edit, as I mentioned.

But I can't access the preferences GUI directly any way I can find, and there is no menu bar when you are in full screen so that isn't an option.
Ah; you're in full screen :)

Control-Return to exit full screen, then select the menu item.
Calvinball33
Space Cadet

Post by Calvinball33 »

Thank you! That's what I was missing.

I don't know who admins the wiki, but it would be super helpful if under the "Open Preferences from SheepShaver application menu", there was something that said "NOTE: If you are in Full-Screen mode, press Control-Return or CMD-Return to switch to Windowed mode to access the menu:"

I took a look and that is buried in a tiny line and is even incorrectly listed as cntrl-return on the OS X/macOS wiki.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I do not know which page in our wiki you refer to. The "NOTE" you quote is not in our setup manual: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup

The section in the manual "Open Preferences from SheepShaver application menu" is about setting up SheepShaver. At that point the user does not have full-screen enabled.

The section about running full-screen explains the Control-Return toggle: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... creen_mode

You wrote that you have been using SheepShaver for a long time. You can find more in the manual about newer features in SheepShaver that you may not be aware of.

BTW: Make sure you use a recent build in Big Sur. In any build from before 2020 classic Mac files will loose their resource fork in "Unix" on a APFS host.
Calvinball33
Space Cadet

Post by Calvinball33 »

"The section in the manual "Open Preferences from SheepShaver application menu" is about setting up SheepShaver. At that point, the user does not have full-screen enabled."

Of course, but if I have it set up and am trying to figure out how to get back to Settings, that's the first thing I look at.....
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Regardless whether SheepShaver is set up initially in window or fullscreen mode, control-return will toggle between fullscreen and window mode. In fullscreen mode press control-return and you can access the host's menu bar and Preferences/Settings in the SheepShaver menu.