The UTM Thread

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: The UTM Thread

Post by adespoton »

The image I included on Github is a compressed cqow2 image. If you want disk I/O to be reasonable, you'll want to convert the image to a raw image, which will speed it up significantly. I should probably add a comment to the Github page, and maybe provide a selection of blank pre-formatted images people can use in raw or uncompressed qcow2 format.
hstriepe
Space Cadet

Post by hstriepe »

Worth a test, since disk space is not an issue on my system.
theirongiant
Space Cadet

Post by theirongiant »

adespoton wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:25 am I've got https://github.com/adespoton/utmconfigs updated now; every OS from 9.1 through macOS 11 is working except 10.6. Still have to sort out the UEFI config for that, and get 9.0.4 working again. 3.1.1 seems to have fixed most of the stability issues I found in 3.1.0.
I have been lurking in this forum for close to a decade, reading tips on PearPC and Sheepshaver, but I've always wanted to be able to run the PPC versions of Mac OS X. Now I have a brand new M1 Pro and I've just discovered UTM.

You are a hero for sharing these configurations. I was able to get MacOS X 10.1 installed and online. iTunes plays http:// streams if you feed the URLs manually. What a trip. Thanks!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

theirongiant wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:51 am
adespoton wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:25 am I've got https://github.com/adespoton/utmconfigs updated now; every OS from 9.1 through macOS 11 is working except 10.6. Still have to sort out the UEFI config for that, and get 9.0.4 working again. 3.1.1 seems to have fixed most of the stability issues I found in 3.1.0.
I have been lurking in this forum for close to a decade, reading tips on PearPC and Sheepshaver, but I've always wanted to be able to run the PPC versions of Mac OS X. Now I have a brand new M1 Pro and I've just discovered UTM.

You are a hero for sharing these configurations. I was able to get MacOS X 10.1 installed and online. iTunes plays http:// streams if you feed the URLs manually. What a trip. Thanks!
Thanks for the feedback! Usually I just get complaints :)
Nowhere Man
Student Driver

Post by Nowhere Man »

adespoton wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:39 pm If you run your image in the screamer build on here, do you have the same issue? If not, raise an issue on the UTM Github tracker.
Hi,

Thanks for the response! It just has a different issue, namely no audio even after I add -soundhw screamer to the script.

Interestingly, on UTM, it sometimes just crashes at boot with an error pointing to an audio extension (I forget which and I can't get it to happen now), and even more interestingly, it is only an issue on my M1 Mini, whereas it seems to be just fine on my M1 Air, playing sound at the normal rate. Both copies of UTM appear to be the same version from the about box, and they are from the App Store. -cpu 750 and -cpu 7400 give the same result.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Nowhere Man wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:14 am
adespoton wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:39 pm If you run your image in the screamer build on here, do you have the same issue? If not, raise an issue on the UTM Github tracker.
Hi,

Thanks for the response! It just has a different issue, namely no audio even after I add -soundhw screamer to the script.

Interestingly, on UTM, it sometimes just crashes at boot with an error pointing to an audio extension (I forget which and I can't get it to happen now), and even more interestingly, it is only an issue on my M1 Mini, whereas it seems to be just fine on my M1 Air, playing sound at the normal rate. Both copies of UTM appear to be the same version from the about box, and they are from the App Store. -cpu 750 and -cpu 7400 give the same result.
If you haven't done so yet, I recommend updating to UTM 3.2.1 or later, as a number of what are likely related bugs have been fixed: https://github.com/utmapp/UTM/releases/
Nowhere Man
Student Driver

Post by Nowhere Man »

adespoton wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:30 pm
Nowhere Man wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:14 am
Hi,

If you haven't done so yet, I recommend updating to UTM 3.2.1 or later, as a number of what are likely related bugs have been fixed: https://github.com/utmapp/UTM/releases/
I use the App Store version, so it is always as up to date as can be.
Bruninho
Tinkerer

Post by Bruninho »

@adespoton: last night I just installed Full Throttle MacOS version for OS 9, and I am getting stuttering sounds for everything on it (effects, music, voice). I have tried two different game image versions.

Funnily enough a similar game (The Dig) from the same studio (Sierra) doesnt have such issues and run fine. I don't know why it has a such big difference, they seem to be the same engine, different story plot.

Any ideas? Anyone here knows a thing or two about screamer/sound on OS 9?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Bruninho wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:44 pm @adespoton: last night I just installed Full Throttle MacOS version for OS 9, and I am getting stuttering sounds for everything on it (effects, music, voice). I have tried two different game image versions.

Funnily enough a similar game (The Dig) from the same studio (Sierra) doesnt have such issues and run fine. I don't know why it has a such big difference, they seem to be the same engine, different story plot.

Any ideas? Anyone here knows a thing or two about screamer/sound on OS 9?
We've got lots of discussion about Screamer/sound in the regular QEMU threads; the main issue appears to be FPU-related. As a result, there's a custom build of QEMU-ppc on here that has FPU speedups that significantly improve audio in FPU-heavy contexts. UTM doesn't include those FPU patches (the patches can potentially break real FPU operations in unpredictable ways).
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

Bruninho wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:44 pm @adespoton: last night I just installed Full Throttle MacOS version for OS 9, and I am getting stuttering sounds for everything on it (effects, music, voice). I have tried two different game image versions.
Audio stuttering in Full Throttle, The Dig, and Dark Forces is something I have been trying to figure out for years, as it affects these three games on SheepShaver as well. I think it is definitely about how these games interacted with virtual memory and/or FPU, both of which are not perfectly emulated by SS or QEMU (as far as I know). I have not yet tried out the FPU-patched version of QEMU, so I will definitely look into that. It's particularly frustrating for Dark Forces, as no other version can do the 640x400 graphics output.

Interestingly, "earlier" games ported to Mac CD versions (i.e. Sam and Max, Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis) are seemingly not affected. Neither are slightly later games such as TIE Fighter CD version (1997). It is something specific to those three Mac games released between 1995-1996.
Nowhere Man
Student Driver

Post by Nowhere Man »

Posting from Fedora 36 ARM64 running on UTM :)

The option to use fn+F to go full screen seems to be gone in the 4.0.9 update. Is there a way to do that now?
wattzXVM
Space Cadet

Post by wattzXVM »

I know I started another thread, but does anyone know how to run MacOSXPantherDP with UTM?
I picked up the Panther DP that exists in the Macintosh repository, renamed all .toast to .iso, and followed the same procedure as normal to complete the disk1 installation. However, it seems that disk2 must be installed before it will be recognized as a boot disk, and moreover, it is not possible to boot from disk2 either.
How can I do this?
Also, does that intro video play?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I can tell you how I would do that with bare qemu:

Add both cd images in the order cd1, cd2, and a empty hd image to the command line,
boot from cd, the installer from the first cd will start. Install everything.

Reboot when instructed (the hd is by then bootable), but change boot order from cd to hd.
Once booted from hd, Mac OS tells you it needs to install from cd2. OSX seems to be polling the cd drive, as after a few seconds cd2 is automatically recognised and installation proceeds.

Once fished, click done and the registration begins. If you use the sound-enabled build, there will be some sound, but all OSX suffer from serious sound corruption.

Best,
Cat_7
wattzXVM
Space Cadet

Post by wattzXVM »

So, I am stuck at this screen. The command line looks like this.
qemu-system-ppc \
-L pc-bios \
-M mac99 \
-m 1024 \ \
-boot c \
-drive file=MacOS9.2.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom \
-drive file=MacOSXInstallDisc2.iso,format=raw,media=disk \
-drive file=MacOS9.2.img,format=raw,media=disk
At the end of the installation, I got the message "Installation completed successfully. I installed everything. I then changed the boot order and rebooted, but it still did not seem to boot from hd.
What should I do?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

There is something strange in your command line. An iso cannot be set as media=disk.
If you want to include images in your posts you have to upload them somewhere and link to them.

Download this empty disk image: https://surfdrive.surf.nl/files/index.p ... u/download
This is a max 20 Gb disk image. However, it will take up only as much space on your hard disk as there is content on the disk image. Extract the image inside called emptydisk20Gb.qcow2. Rename the file to PantherDP.qcow2

Then start with this:
qemu-system-ppc \
-L pc-bios \
-M mac99 \
-m 512 \
-boot d \
-drive file=MacOSXInstallDisc1.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom \
-drive file=MacOSXInstallDisc2.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom \
-drive file=PantherDP.qcow2,format=qcow2,media=disk

After installation from both cd roms, shut down Qemu.
Change only -boot d into -boot c and start Qemu again.

Best,
Cat_7
wattzXVM
Space Cadet

Post by wattzXVM »

ええ...出来ました!私は本当にできました!
感謝しますcat_7、私はここにその画像を上げたいのですがtwitterリンクに代えさせていただきます.
https://twitter.com/wattz84051375/statu ... 9879508993

ありがとうございました...
そして、これからもどうぞよろしくお願いします,cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

完全。

Best,
Cat_7
RykGroff
Space Cadet

UTM Is Amazing!

Post by RykGroff »

I recently upgraded one of my Mac minis from Big Sur to Monterey, before which I did some research to make sure all my apps would still work. But after upgrading SheepShaver would no longer launch. I looked around for an alternative, found QEMU, but found it too daunting. And then I discovered UTM. I installed it, downloaded the prebuilt OS 9.2.1, and BOOM! It works! Well, mostly. I really wanted to get all the apps I had in my SheepShaver image file, but networking and sharing don't seem to function at all in 9.2.1 because OS 9 doesn't have SPICE tools or WEBDAV. Luckily, I was able to use the qemu-img utility to convert the UTM .qcow2 image file to a raw image file, put all my old apps in a folder within that, and then convert the image file back to .qcow2 format. And it worked! I love it!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: UTM Is Amazing!

Post by adespoton »

RykGroff wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:07 pm I recently upgraded one of my Mac minis from Big Sur to Monterey, before which I did some research to make sure all my apps would still work. But after upgrading SheepShaver would no longer launch. I looked around for an alternative, found QEMU, but found it too daunting. And then I discovered UTM. I installed it, downloaded the prebuilt OS 9.2.1, and BOOM! It works! Well, mostly. I really wanted to get all the apps I had in my SheepShaver image file, but networking and sharing don't seem to function at all in 9.2.1 because OS 9 doesn't have SPICE tools or WEBDAV. Luckily, I was able to use the qemu-img utility to convert the UTM .qcow2 image file to a raw image file, put all my old apps in a folder within that, and then convert the image file back to .qcow2 format. And it worked! I love it!
Just so you know, you don't have to convert the image back; UTM automatically uses qemu-img to do this on the fly. I've really got to add a feature request to auto-convert the other direction as well when the "raw image" option is checked.

Just a warning: there currently appear to be some issues with UTM 4.x and the x86_64 emulator, if you're planning to run any OS more recent than OS X 10.8.
RykGroff
Space Cadet

Post by RykGroff »

Thanks for the info adespoton! I'm going to redownload it through the App Store so I can contribute to future updates of this amazing app!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

RykGroff wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:47 pm Thanks for the info adespoton! I'm going to redownload it through the App Store so I can contribute to future updates of this amazing app!
You can also contribute via the GitHub project by filing tickets on issues and feature requests, or even submitting code updates :)
CharlesS
Granny Smith

Post by CharlesS »

Weird question: does anyone else notice UTM running x86 emulation on ARM much faster than it does on x86_64? I just gave it a try on my sorta-new M1 Max (almost as good as an M2 Max, but at a crazy $1,400 discount on the model with maxed-out RAM), firing up a Windows XP VM I already had lying around. I really wasn't expecting much given that on my old i9, this VM ran so comically slowly as to be completely unusable, but on this machine... it's pretty smooth actually! Shouldn't it have been the other way around, with the i9 running it virtually and the M1 Max having to emulate? Not that I'm complaining really, but it seems weird for the M1 Max to not only run it faster, but by the crazy margin I'm seeing.
There's no earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going, for the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

CharlesS wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:58 am Weird question: does anyone else notice UTM running x86 emulation on ARM much faster than it does on x86_64? I just gave it a try on my sorta-new M1 Max (almost as good as an M2 Max, but at a crazy $1,400 discount on the model with maxed-out RAM), firing up a Windows XP VM I already had lying around. I really wasn't expecting much given that on my old i9, this VM ran so comically slowly as to be completely unusable, but on this machine... it's pretty smooth actually! Shouldn't it have been the other way around, with the i9 running it virtually and the M1 Max having to emulate? Not that I'm complaining really, but it seems weird for the M1 Max to not only run it faster, but by the crazy margin I'm seeing.
Yeah; it's supposed to virtualize on the I9 and use the TCG emulator on the M1. I've only been testing on my M1 Pro, where performance has been pretty smooth until you get to attempting emulation of Catalina, at which point things grind to a halt.

I suspect that something Osy's done with version 4 has forced x86 hosts to use the TCG emulator as well. And with the switch to QEMU 8 for 4.3.x (still in beta), it appears all sorts of things have broken (PPC and x86_64 emulators). Some of those things appear to be broken in QEMU though, not specifically UTM.
CharlesS
Granny Smith

Post by CharlesS »

Yeah, and the x86 code for the TCG emulator must be bad. I know the M1 Max is faster than the old Core i9 Macs, but not this much faster.

How are you getting the High Sierra installer to run, btw? I found your config file, which works great to get booted into the install disc, but the hard drives I create don't show up in the installer or Disk Utility, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I make them IDE or USB.
There's no earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going, for the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing.
CharlesS
Granny Smith

Post by CharlesS »

Update: turns out that when I changed the hard drive to IDE, even though it still wasn't showing up in Disk Utility, diskutil was able to see it in the Terminal, and I was able to format that way as APFS, after which I was able to start the installer and get the installation files copied over to the drive. Unfortunately, on rebooting, the only option in the OpenCore boot menu was to boot from the iso again. So I shut down, removed the ISO from the VM thinking that perhaps if the HD was the only thing to boot from, it would work. No luck there—the OpenCore boot menu only has OpenShell.efi and Reset NVRAM as options.

Now, the part that really grinds my gears: Even if I put the ISO back, now it doesn't show up in the OpenCore boot menu either! And worse than that, even if I download the template fresh and select the ISO, it doesn't show up as a boot option there. Nor do any of several other boot images that were working before. Fiddling with order and IDE/USB doesn't seem to change anything here; I seem to have somehow globally lost the ability to boot from ISOs to this VM, so I can't even get back to where I was last night. :sad: Do you know what might have caused this, or any way to force this thing to accept something as a boot disk?