OS 9.2.2 Freeze With usb-audio

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

merzben
Space Cadet

OS 9.2.2 Freeze With usb-audio

Post by merzben »

Hi all,

I've managed to get OS 9.2.2 running, however, when I add the <-device usb-audio> argument to enable audio playback, the virtual machine will only run for around a minute, after which every window in the virtual machine will close and I'll only be able to move the mouse around, not being able to interact with any GUI element at all.
Has anyone else encountered this problem or does anyone have a solution for it? I'm only using OS 9.2.2 to access old music production software, so audio is a must.
The host machine is a 2014 MacBook Pro running OSX 10.15.3 Catalina. I downloaded QEMU 6.1.0 through Homebrew. This is my boot command:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -cpu g4 -M mac99,via=pmu,usb=on -m 1024 -hda macos92.img -boot c -g 1024x768x32 -device usb-kbd -device usb-mouse -device usb-audio
Any help would be much appreciated!!!
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: OS 9.2.2 Freeze With usb-audio

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

All who have tried -device usb-audio have the same issue. The cause is probably identified, but no one has fixed it yet.

Your command line has some redundancy:
qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -cpu g4 (the g4 is the default cpu when using -M mac99)
-M mac99,via=pmu,usb=on (via=pmu already sets usb=on)
-m 1024 -hda macos92.img -boot c -g 1024x768x32
-device usb-kbd -device usb-mouse (are already set when you set via=pmu)
-device usb-audio

So this will work as well:
qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -M mac99,via=pmu -m 1024 -hda macos92.img -boot c -g 1024x768x32 -device usb-audio

You might try one of our "screamer" builds that also provide audio out. You would have to set memory to below 1024 as otherwise the audio will not work.
Check the experimental builds, particularly the 15-12-2020: Qemu 5.2 with screamer sound support and fpu speed-up.
viewtopic.php?t=8848

Best,
Cat_7
merzben
Space Cadet

Re: OS 9.2.2 Freeze With usb-audio

Post by merzben »

Hi,

Thanks so much I tried the QEMU-5 Screamer build like you suggested, and I removed the <-device usb-audio> argument and it all runs perfectly! I'd tried building a QEMU with Screamer directly from the git repo before, but the version in your thread gets the job done without any problems.

Thanks so much again, trying to get this environment working has been consuming me for the last few days haha.