Running Snow Leopard (x86) in UTM on M1

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Rendezvous
Space Cadet

Running Snow Leopard (x86) in UTM on M1

Post by Rendezvous »

I've been trying to get Snow Leopard (x86) running, with no luck—this is all being done on Apple Silicon.

So far I've been following this guide: https://khronokernel.github.io/apple/si ... MU-AS.html

But I'm not able to get past the kernel screen: https://ibb.co/QXTcR7B

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Running Snow Leopard (x86) in UTM on M1

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I don't think we can provide an answer for you. We deal with PPC emulation, not running x86 versions of OSX in Qemu. Your best bet will probably be to ask in the UTM discord channels.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Rendezvous wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:04 am I've been trying to get Snow Leopard (x86) running, with no luck—this is all being done on Apple Silicon.

So far I've been following this guide: https://khronokernel.github.io/apple/si ... MU-AS.html

But I'm not able to get past the kernel screen: https://ibb.co/QXTcR7B

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
I'm working through this in General Macintosh Emulation UTM thread now.
Changing the processor type to i386 and the OVMF.bin file to type Disk instead of type BIOS has got me to a grey Apple screen before it hangs.

[Cat_7, can you move this thread to General Macintosh Emulation please? A year in to M1 Macs, we are now firmly in the "emulating x86 OS X" camp. We may even want a new area in the forum: x86 Emulation]
Rendezvous
Space Cadet

Post by Rendezvous »

I’ve been doing a lot of work on this, and it’s all about not having the right combination of drivers. So far, I can get Lion and Mountain Lion to run, just not Snow Leopard.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The big issue appears to be finding the right network interface. Choosing the wrong one messes things up.

From previous experience, power management drivers can also cause issues, but I haven't attempted to fiddle with that yet. It's possible I'm going to have to build custom OpenCore EFI for the i386 variant.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I'm currently documenting here:
https://github.com/adespoton/utmconfigs ... /README.md

and I'll be adding my UTM config files as I get things to "fully functional" -- currently, the only ones fully functional are 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9. 10.10 has network issues, 10.11 I'm in the middle of setting up (forgot to set clock back for my old installer), and 10.15 has network issues. 10.8 has App Store issues (can't connect) so I had to manually download all the updates and install them.
Rendezvous
Space Cadet

Post by Rendezvous »

adespoton wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:17 pm I'm currently documenting here:
https://github.com/adespoton/utmconfigs ... /README.md

and I'll be adding my UTM config files as I get things to "fully functional" -- currently, the only ones fully functional are 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9. 10.10 has network issues, 10.11 I'm in the middle of setting up (forgot to set clock back for my old installer), and 10.15 has network issues. 10.8 has App Store issues (can't connect) so I had to manually download all the updates and install them.
Let me know if you make any progress on this. I tried making a custom OpenCore boot loader, but I got the same error.
Bruninho
Tinkerer

Post by Bruninho »

Following with interest - Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion are the ones I am interested
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

OK, I'll see if I can add some config files to my Github page; currently I have 10.7 through 10.15 working; all but 10.10 has functional networking. 10.15 is functionally unusable. The rest work fine. Still scratching my head over networking on 10.10, and I haven't got the 32-bit EFI working with 10.5 or 10.6, and haven't got the 64-bit EFI working with 10.6 either. I've cracked them open to examine the config.plist, and everything in there looks like it *should* work, but the OS fails to boot into verbose mode, and then either hangs at a black screen, the apple screen, or boots for a while on the apple screen and then displays the dreaded (/), depending on how I configure things. And this isn't just an OpenCore issue, because I have the exact same issues when using iBoot or a custom Clover boot.

[edit] Added zipped config files. Enjoy!
Bruninho
Tinkerer

Post by Bruninho »

When you boot in verbose mode, what are the errors you are seeing? I did some hackintoshes back early in last decade until 2014, and I did have some headaches with them. Sometimes I did work around to make them work. Maybe, I don't know, I have never used OpenCore just what was available back then until 2014 - Chimera/Clover.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

That’s the thing… booting in verbose switches to a black screen or Apple screen instead of showing the proper verbose output. It’s not due to OpenCore because Clover’s doing the same thing. Turning on QEMU logging doesn’t show anything odd on the emulation side of things either.
Bruninho
Tinkerer

Post by Bruninho »

It's strange that you can get 10.7 functional (Lion) but not 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

Try this method: https://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04 ... -x-on.html
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Bruninho wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:53 pm It's strange that you can get 10.7 functional (Lion) but not 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

Try this method: https://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04 ... -x-on.html
I tried that and had the same issue: I can't get 10.4 x86 through 10.6 to boot; they get part way through the loading process and then halt with a ( / ) or a black screen.

10.7 boots with a more recent EFI and presented virtual Mac. But I've had issues with both 32 bit and 64 bit 10.6; different issues, but one panics and the other dies.

This smacks suspiciously of the issues I encountered booting 10.4 through 10.6 under VirtualBox 8 or so years ago -- there's bound to be a way to get past it, presenting the correct virtual hardware and setting the right UEFI flags, but I haven't figured it out yet. Others have had some theories, but even with their fixes applied, I still end up with the same boot errors.

And it's not just down to the UTM bug where USB virtual DVD drives can run too slowly throwing "data not found" errors -- I've had disk images I built on IA64 that boot just fine under VirtualBox that won't boot under UTM on IA64 or M1.

I'd love some help figuring this out though. The only OS versions currently MIA on UTM M1 are 10.4.7+ x86, 10.5 x86, 10.6, 11 and 12. Mac OS 9.0.4 through 10.5 PPC work fine, and 10.7-10.15 IA64 work (although 10.10 can't load any of the network kexts properly and 10.15 has abysmal performance due to mandatory APFS).

I'm hoping that soon UTM will also add the capability for M68k Q800 booting of 7.1 through 8.1. Then there will be one interface that can boot all 32-bit clean 68k OSes, and all new world PPC OSes except 8.6.
Bruninho
Tinkerer

Post by Bruninho »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-MoBz6kDFc

You can try this, but I bet this is a modified version of Snow Leopard for Intel.

From all I can remember about hackintoshes, which I did until 2014, I only used Chameleon at the beginning (For Lion and later) and Clover (for Mavericks or Sierra and Later) to boot. Had to work a lot on SSDT and stuff like that. Generally a crash on boot about ACPI means something is missing from ACPI tables or the entire table is missing, but I may be wrong since it has been nearly a decade since I last did it.

All the info I had for these methods were from tonymacx86 website. But this was on bare metal hackintoshes I built myself from scratch, buying each hardware for which I knew they would be compatible with macOS (like, NVIDIA card for graphics).

AMD came into play after I had already quit hackintoshing, when Apple switched to AMD because of an NVIDIA tussle, so I am not sure about them.

Tonymacx86 website had a list of them for buyers to build their own machine. I never managed to achieve my dream machine, which was a clone of a G4 Cube (or smaller). I never had the right case or hardware for that, because in Brazil it is difficult to find them or prices were too high. I couldn't even find a G4 Cube in pristine condition from any brazilian to buy and build my hackintosh on top of it.

When I was interested in PowerPC macs, I was ofc not only amazed with G4 Cube, but also the colorful iBooks. I could buy a G4 Mini if I could, brazilian online resellers do have a few of them, albeit not in pristine condition. But I had figured out that emulating OS 9 (which really was exactly what I was interested, the operating system) was enough for me, so I kinda forgot about that plan (buy a PPC).

I had quit hackintoshing because the hard-working maintenaince was not worth it. Too many headaches with small OS X upgrades. Plus I was getting tired of doing maintenance for too many hardware back then (I had an iPhone, an iPad, MacBook, and Hackintosh; now I just have the iPhone, Apple Watch and M1 Air). This is when emulation came into play.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Ah yes; one of the iATKOS or similar mods. That shouldn't be necessary; useful to know it works though, as that means that with some configuration, a clean install should also be possible.