File chooser doesn't show startup disk

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

kulath
Space Cadet

File chooser doesn't show startup disk

Post by kulath »

When I try to open a file or specify a folder to put something in, the chooser dialog box with the three boxes at top right (network, favourites, recent) doesn't show the startup disk (Macintosh HD).

The dropdown at top shows "Desktop", but nothing else. The leftmost of the dropdown boxes at the right shows Desktop, Network, Connect to server.. | Unix | Eject disk. In some cases, the chooser box is completely empty, in others, it shows the desktop printers.

The file chooser for SimpleText does not have the three boxes at top right, and behaves correctly, showing Macintosh HD, Unix, other files on the desktop, it shows the desktop printers as folders, and also shows the Trash (though this is greyed out).

I have tried this on several of the SheepShaver 2.4 and 2.5 builds. Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan. I have also tried with Extensions off (hold down the shift key), but none of this makes any difference.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: File chooser doesn't show startup disk

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I am not sure which dialog your are referring to. The Open/Save dialog? In which application? In MacOS9 or in a different MacOS version?

If the drop-down menu at the top in the dialog shows the chosen path. When you select the disk you want to access in the list below and press "Open", the drop-down menu will show both the chosen disk and the Desktop. If you then choose and open a folder on that disk, the drop-down menu will also show that folder. That menu allows you to go back along the chosen path. If you choose Desktop in the drop-down menu or with the button at the right, the menu will again only show Desktop. That is normal behaviour.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I think the OP is referring to this Mac OS 9 dialog (not used by all applications, but by some):

https://imgur.com/a/aQDqwoR
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Yes, you are right. I did not recognise the description, but I see variations of those dialogs also in other applications.

It is really strange that the mounted volumes, including the startup disk, are not shown. As in emendelson's picture they should appear in the Desktop list at the left and in the menu from the left one of the three buttons at the right.

The cause must be in the guest MacOS, not in SheepShaver.

Does the startup disk appear normally on the desktop?
Do you see the problem with the Open and Save dialogs with only one specific application or with several applications?

Aren't the dialogs a function of the Finder? Could trashing Finder Preferences solve the issue?
kulath
Space Cadet

Post by kulath »

Thx for help. Yes, that is the dialogue I am referring to.

Here is what I see:

https://i.imgur.com/zE7MUra.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0hVbp54.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/EZM4dOU.jpg

The startup disk does appear normally on the desktop. The problem appears with several applications.

I will try trashing the finder preferences.

I have now created an entirely new new emulation directory (as a package as it happens), and this works correctly.

I think the problem may have been that I was changing the "shared" directory from the OSX side while SheepShaver was running, and I was also getting problems with not being able to move files between folders (which were cured by shutting down and restarting SheepShaver), and even the shared folder on the OSX side turning into a package, which I solved by https://www.switchingtomac.com/tutorial ... e-in-os-x/

I have a few question not related to my OP:

(1) In the setup guide:
Unix Root
Add the path to your shared folder using the second “Browse…” button to find and “Open” the folder you created to be the shared folder. (In this example I used a folder named “Shared” on my desktop.)
I have my shared folder inside my SheepShaver folder alongside my "Mac OS ROM" and "Mac OS 9.0.4.toast" etc. So when I browse for the shared folder it only shows a relative name ("shared"). the example shows a full name, so when I created the package I typed in a full name.

? Does this mean I cannot move the SheepShaver.sheepvm package elsewhere on my machine, and I should use a relative name?
? Is it a bad idea to have the "shared" folder inside the SheepShaver folder (in general)? (Maybe this might have been a contributing factor to my original problems)
? Presumably with the package needs to have the "shared" folder inside the package to make it self contained?

(2) In the setup guide:
Note that, when using the Create, Browse, Add, etc. buttons, the Open/Save dialogs can access packages. Create the disk image that will be the Mac OS startup disk inside the VM package.
I find that I can't access packages. ?is this not possible in Mac OS X El Capitan? or is it not possible because I am using Default Folder X?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

That is many different questions.

I think the problem may have been that I was changing the "shared" directory from the OSX side while SheepShaver was running,
After making a change in preferences, any change, always quit SheepShaver (not just restart) and launch SheepShaver again! You will encounter all kinds of unusual and unwanted behaviour if you do not do that. Also, better not move files that are in use by SheepShaver while SheepShaver is running.

and even the shared folder on the OSX side turning into a package
I never heard of anything like that. I cannot imagine how that could have happened.

I have a few question not related to my OP:
In the setup guide:
Unix Root
Add the path to your shared folder using the second “Browse…” button to find and “Open” the folder you created to be the shared folder. (In this example I used a folder named “Shared” on my desktop.)
I have my shared folder inside my SheepShaver folder alongside my "Mac OS ROM" and "Mac OS 9.0.4.toast" etc. So when I browse for the shared folder it only shows a relative name ("shared").
That is the default behaviour in a regular setup when you add files that are in the same folder as SheepShaver itself. It is different for a .sheepvm VM setup, where relative paths are used for files inside the package.

? Does this mean I cannot move the SheepShaver.sheepvm package elsewhere on my machine, and I should use a relative name?
? Is it a bad idea to have the "shared" folder inside the SheepShaver folder (in general)? (Maybe this might have been a contributing factor to my original problems)
? Presumably with the package needs to have the "shared" folder inside the package to make it self contained?
I really do not know how you set up your .sheepvm virtual machine. Things like the rom file and the startup disk should not be inside the SheepShaver folder, but inside the .sheepvm package. If set up correctly (see setup manual) those files are referred to in Preferences with relative paths and the VM can be moved anywhere, even to a different machine, provided a SheepShaver application is available. A SheepShaver application can be inside the VM package, but does not need to be (again, see the setup manual).

It is not practical to have the shared folder inside the package, you would need to open the package each time you want to acces the shared folder. If the shared folder is outside the VM package, preferences will automatically create an absolute path. If you want to move the VM between different host machines, you could make the a folder that is always available the shared folder, like /Users/Shared/

In the setup guide:
Note that, when using the Create, Browse, Add, etc. buttons, the Open/Save dialogs can access packages. Create the disk image that will be the Mac OS startup disk inside the VM package.
I find that I can't access packages. ?is this not possible in Mac OS X El Capitan? or is it not possible because I am using Default Folder X?
Accessing packages will only work when using Preferences while running a VM, not when running a regular SheepShaver setup.

If you cannot access packages while running a correctly set up sheepvm VM, it could be because of Default Folder X.
kulath
Space Cadet

Post by kulath »

Thanks for your help.

Just in case it helps anyone else, here is some more information on Folders turning into Packages.

(1) One thing that caused this problem was when I tried to create an AutoTyper with FileTyper 4.1.2 This instantly turned the Applications folder (where I was trying to save the AutoTyper) into a Package.

(2) I am now using FileTyper 5.3.1 which works much better!

(3) Folders turning into Packages is apparently a known problem, and Apple provide "Package First Aid" to remedy this problem. The Package First Aid in in the Mac OS 9 distribution.

(4) I fixed a similar problem in Mac OS X by https://www.switchingtomac.com/tutorial ... e-in-os-x/ as mentioned elsewhere.

If you cannot access packages while running a correctly set up sheepvm VM, it could be because of Default Folder X.
Yes, it is due to Default Folder X. If I exclude SheepShaver from Default Folder X, then I can access the .sheepvm package.