New user, looking for assistance

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Leishycat
Space Cadet

New user, looking for assistance

Post by Leishycat »

Hello all. I just installed the prebuilt SheepShaver installation provided by Edward Mendelson, and am having some trouble with getting started, running into several problems I hope to get some guidance on.

When starting the Mac OS 9 app, it loads into Mac OS correctly, but then I get a couple of errors saying that file transfer is not working (these close by themselves so I was unable to get the exact text). I changed the memory from 512mb to 1024 in SheepShaverGUI, but in the OS it is still set to 512. I changed the theme, but when I reboot it resets to the standard gray background.

When I try to copy a file from 'This PC' to the File Transfer folder, I receive an error stating "You cannot copy [file name] onto the folder "File Transfer", because the disk is locked.

When I try to open a program from within 'This PC' (since I cannot transfer it), I receive an error stating that there is not enough memory (0kb required, 485,262k available).

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: New user, looking for assistance

Post by emendelson »

You're using the Windows version of this, correct? And you're starting it by running MacOS9.exe, not any other program? That error occurs when the launcher program hasn't been able to create a folder that the SheepShaver setup looks for when it launches. If you run SheepShaver.exe directly, you'll get that error. For this system, you absolutely need to run the program named MacOS9.exe

Also, could you spell out exactly what Windows system you're using and exactly which folder contains the Mac OS 9 app? If it is NOT in your user folder, could you try installing it there?

Edit: It's working on my system. I have it installed in a folder named MacOS9 inside my user folder. Again, try running it from a folder inside your user folder. If it doesn't work, please open the Finder to the MacOS9 disk; delete the shortcut labeled Transfer, and then open the System Folder and delete the file named WinPath.txt. Then shut down the app (don't restart it). Then launch MacOS9.exe again.
Leishycat
Space Cadet

Post by Leishycat »

OK, I uninstalled and reinstalled, installing in my User folder this time. I am starting by running MacOS9.exe. Now I am receiving a system error on start: 'The code execution cannot proceed because libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.'

I uninstalled and reinstalled, and received the same error. I uninstalled, rebooted my computer, and reinstalled, and still received the same error.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I'm completely baffled. I don't have that file on my system anywhere, and I can't imagine what that error is coming from.

Are you running Windows 10? 32-bit? 64-bit? When you enter "VER" at a command prompt, what does Windows tell you? Do you have an administrative or user account?
Leishycat
Space Cadet

Post by Leishycat »

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, version 10.0.19042.1348. My account's an administrator account. Doing some poking around in the install folder, that file does exist in this path: C:\Users\[user name]\MacOS9\GTK\2.0\bin, so I would think it wouldn't have trouble finding it. I'm kind of baffled.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Possibly your [user name] has a space. That's legal in Windows, but causes all kinds of problems and I haven't updated all my applications to work with usernames with spaces.

(And I mistyped that dll filename when I searched for it - it is definitely on my system.)

EDIT: But I still don't understand how you can be getting that error when you run MacOS9.exe. I renamed the GTK folder, and the app ran perfectly without it. Are you trying to run BasiliskIIGUI.exe? The actual MacOS9.exe doesn't use anything in the GTK folder.

Could you please confirm that are not running any other program in the MacOS9 folder or its subfolders EXCEPT MacOS9.exe? And maybe delete the whole folder and start again.
Leishycat
Space Cadet

Post by Leishycat »

I just created a new user profile and migrated over to it, you were correct in your thought that my username might have a space. It was the default profile created when I got the computer.

I have now reinstalled the package, and am attempting to open MacOS9.exe. Now I am receiving a new error: 'Cannot map second Kernel Data area: 487'.

Edit: It seems to be working now. I rebooted and it launched without issue. I'll update if there's any more issues. Thank you!
Leishycat
Space Cadet

Post by Leishycat »

OK, one more question... Now that I've gotten into OS9, I've successfully launched the game I was hoping to play on it (Prince of Destruction), but text to speech isn't working. There doesn't seem to be a text to speech control panel item either. Can you point me in the direction of how I can enable or install TTS?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

You'll need MacInTalk, which is fairly easy to find online. I didn't include it when I installed 9.0.4 for my system because it didn't occur to me that anyone would want it. I've since added it to my macOS version, and maybe someday will add it the Windows version, but you can easily install it by yourself. Google will help you find links.
Leishycat
Space Cadet

Post by Leishycat »

Found and installed, thank you again :)