Get networking between machines working

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Janne W
Space Cadet

Get networking between machines working

Post by Janne W »

Hi,

I'm totally new here so sorry if my question is in a wrong chain... I'm running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 and have succesfully Basilisk II 1,0 running on it.

Emulated system is 7.5.3 and have classic Bolo-tank game on it. My problem is that I can not make the networking between machines working. What would do the trick, have tried ethernet and appletalk options on emulated macs without success. Machines are connected with ethernet cable.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Get networking between machines working

Post by adespoton »

Because you need Bolo to be connectable from another device, you can't use SLIrP networking, and will need to set up a Tun/Tap device. There's a section on here in the Wiki on how to do that. It's significantly more complicated than basic SLIrP networking that gets used by default.
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

Hi,

Yeah, Bolo is still fun on a Mac! :lol:

As 'adespoton' did mention, you need to install a TUN/TAP device.
More info you can find here:

https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ap ... heepshaver

and here:

viewtopic.php?t=8067

Depending on your guest OS (Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, ...) installation could be challenging (Administrator rights required to install Kernel extensions, console in recovery mode).
Please note, that recent MacBooks have trouble supporting network functionality with WiFi. The Ethernet cable adapter still works for me, but WiFi just till MacBook 2013 (at least with chipsets I have available).

Don't miss to amend the port setting in "Basilisk II GUI OS X" from 'slirp' to 'etherhelper/tap0/bridge0/en0'

If you need help, this is the right place to ask your questions.

Good Luck & hapy hackin'
Janne W
Space Cadet

Post by Janne W »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your replies! At least I realized now that it needs more fiddeling than I thought ; ) So, I tried all the alternative BasiliskII builds with etherhelper but couldn't make them work (OS didn't start up). So now I installed again a "latest recommended build", which works fine and brings me back to starting point : )

But, I managed to install tuntap and now when I open up the BasiliskII / MacOS 7.5.3 I got at least a new error message => "Cannot open /dev/tap0 (Permission denied). Ethernet will be not available."

Which is probably because I typed in GUI "tap0" as an ethernet interface. Is "tuntap" just working automatically working somewhere on background or should I operate it somehow?

I checked out also this method => https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ap ... heepshaver

That's only until OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 and I'm running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 on both machines I'd like to connect.

Again, I'm thankful if you got some ideas how to proceed!
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

Just briefly before I‘ll go to bed:

"Cannot open /dev/tap0 0 (Permission denied). Ethernet will be not available."

All commands need to be issued using „sudo“.
Maybe this helps.

In addition, I did notice that I have older BAII clients that work with AppleTalk over Ethernet and new clients I can‘t get to work.
I‘ll prepare that very old client for test runs and will post links to that one here in the forum.

It was also successful running on Monterey!

So stay tuned and don‘t give up.
Look at my other recent posts here in the forum, we‘re trying to iron that issue out soonest poss, as System 7 networking is really the fun part.

Best,
Knuddelmac!