Increasing RAM made SheepShaver (Wrapper) un-launchable

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

kevinduarte
Space Cadet

Increasing RAM made SheepShaver (Wrapper) un-launchable

Post by kevinduarte »

Ug. It appears increasing the RAM made Sheep Shaver un-launchable. I have the SheepShaver Wrapper and the SheepShaver icon in the doc. I've been clicking on the Wrapper icon which then launches the second icon. Now the first bounces, then the second does, and then they both turn off.

I broke the rule of only changing one thing at a time! Any way to recover the install, or do I need to wind back a couple of days and start over?
Maybe my entry of 1500 mb for RAM was the wrong number for 1.5GB RAM. I used this converter: https://www.gbmb.org/gb-to-mb

Missed this note "Enter a value for the amount of RAM in MB that the virtual Mac will have. For instance 128 or 256 or 512. The maximum value is 512, SheepShaver will not run if a higher value is entered."https://ronaldpr.home.xs4all.nl/sheepsh ... er_manual/"

Now the question is, is there a preference or a path go undoing my change...?

UPDATE: I culled various instructions from various posts and found I could edit the prefs with these steps.

1. Go to Users-> the current user director
2. Unhide the preferences file by typing Command Shift . (period/dot)
3. Open the .sheepshaver_prefs file in TextEdit
4. Update the ramsize setting to a supported value.

I tried 536870912 as recommended but the SheepShaver Wrapper tries to start SheepShaver
(I have both icons in my Dock) but the failure to launch remains.

It seems that changing the RAM setting in SheepShaver (application preferences),
can't be corrected by editing the prefs file. :(

Note: Using the Terminal suggestions in various posts didn't work in macOS 12.01 (navigation error) maybe old posts.
Last edited by kevinduarte on Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Increasing RAM made SheepShaver (Wrapper) un-launchable

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Much in the regular SheepShaver forum, as well as much in my setup manual, does not apply to the Wrapper. I trust that the creator of the Wrapper will answer you here.

(I notice that you refer to an ancient and long outdated version of my setup manual. It links to current versions.)
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

To modify the preferences for the SheepShaver Wrapper, do this:

Ctrl-click on the SheepShaver Wrapper and choose Show Package Contents.

Navigate to Contents->Resources->Files

Ctrl-click on MacOS.sheepvm and choose Show Package Contents.

Ctrl-click on "prefs", choose Open With and select TextEdit or some other editor. (Alternatively, open a terminal, type "open -e " followed by a space - and do not forget the space - and drag "prefs" in the terminal and press Enter.)

Change RAM to the recommended size. Close the file.

EDIT: I've now added these instructions to the web page for the application.
kevinduarte
Space Cadet

Post by kevinduarte »

emendelson wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:08 pm To modify the preferences for the SheepShaver Wrapper, do this:

Ctrl-click on the SheepShaver Wrapper and choose Show Package Contents.

Navigate to Contents->Resources->Files

Ctrl-click on MacOS.sheepvm and choose Show Package Contents.

Ctrl-click on "prefs", choose Open With and select TextEdit or some other editor. (Alternatively, open a terminal, type "open -e " followed by a space - and do not forget the space - and drag "prefs" in the terminal and press Enter.)

Change RAM to the recommended size. Close the file.

EDIT: I've now added these instructions to the web page for the application.
Thank you emendleson! That worked. Also thank you to both of you for rapid replies and helping us newbee's so quickly. :)