Pip Pin emulation ?!

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Pip Pin emulation ?!

Post by Sebiohazard »

Hello everyone !

I am trying to emulate the Apple Pip Pin...I found this link with System 7.5.3 already installed...the CD of the game I would like to run (Racing Days) is here...it also gives a CD of System 7.5.3 I do not understand what it is for since it is already installed on HDD ?!

I mount the game CD in SheepShaver but it doesn't work... everything is in Japanese I don't understand how to install the game... can someone help me ?

Greetings !
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Pip Pin emulation ?!

Post by adespoton »

Apple Pippin isn't a hardware profile SheepShaver emulates: SheepShaver emulates a generalized PPC Mac based on a beige PPC604 hardware profile, IIRC. It doesn't know about Pippin hardware.

To emulate the Pippin, you need to use MAME, which I think has the only Pippin emulator available. Setting it up is rather complex, and you'll need the Pippin ROMs and CD images and the correct Pippin profile for the version of MAME you're using.

You can, however, run many Pippin CD software titles on Mac OS 7.5 if you read Japanese, as Pippin was based on the PPC Mac and designed to run a modified Mac OS 7.5, so the applications use the standard Mac toolbox. But you won't get the Pippin interface, or be able to use Pippin controllers, or games that depend on them.

See viewtopic.php?t=7083 for more details.
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

Hello thank you for your help :)

I found the Pip Pin BIOS for MAME but when I start the machine nothing happens... I don't even have the Pip Pin logo displayed ?! Do you have a procedure for MAME ?

Greetings !

[EDIT]

I installed System 8.1 to try because I found a version of Racing Days which normally is compatible with System 8.1 here... unfortunately after mounting the iso of the game I have this error message:

I don't know how to proceed ??? MAME doesn't work either...
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

No one to help me ?!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You missed the part about it requiring Japanese Mac OS. You need to install Kanji Mac OS 7.5 for anything to work. And you'll need to be able to read at least rudimentary Kanji Japanese to make any sense of it.
jonirob
Tinkerer

Post by jonirob »

If you want to play Racing Days use the sit (English) version from Macintosh Repository, it works fine in Sheepshaver.
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

@adespoton Ok it's not won then... & do you know where I can find this Japanese OS ?!

@jonirob I have already tried the .sit version of the game but cannot launch the game there is an error message with unreadable characters...

@everyone has anyone here on this forum ever managed to run a Pip Pin game with SheepShaver or another emulator ?

Greetings :)
jonirob
Tinkerer

Post by jonirob »

I've just tested the sit version in Sheepshaver Mac 7.5.3 and it works flawlessly. I see that your 8.1 is running in Basilisk II, the game is PPC only and as such it won't run in Basilisk II.
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

jonirob wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:32 pm I've just tested the sit version in Sheepshaver Mac 7.5.3 and it works flawlessly. I see that your 8.1 is running in Basilisk II, the game is PPC only and as such it won't run in Basilisk II.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh you have to use a PPC with SheepShaver... that's where the error on my part was :) so I just installed System 7.5.3 here with SheepShaver (PPC) I installed the .sit version of Racing Day & it works !!! I'm so happy really thank you for your very precious help !!!

I will try with other games :)

Greetings !
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

Just a question... if SheepShaver crashes what is the key combination to quit the emulator ?

Thank you
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Control-Escape will hard shut down SheepShaver (and BasiliskII).
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:14 am Control-Escape will hard shut down SheepShaver (and BasiliskII).
Hello the CTRL + ESC combination does not work ?!
jonirob
Tinkerer

Post by jonirob »

On Windows 10, ctrl-shift-escape brings up Task Manager, from there you can shut down Sheepshaver.
lenpi
Space Cadet

Post by lenpi »

jonirob wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:41 pm On Windows 10, ctrl-shift-escape brings up Task Manager, from there you can shut down Sheepshaver.
Thanks mate. It worked.
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

jonirob wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:41 pm On Windows 10, ctrl-shift-escape brings up Task Manager, from there you can shut down Sheepshaver.
OK that's what I already do :) but it's not very ergonomic...
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Sebiohazard wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:47 pmI am trying to emulate the Apple Pip Pin...
If you are having difficulty searching for information, please be aware that the word is Pippin, not "Pip Pin". (It's a variety of apple, you see.)