Basilisk II immediately quits when I start

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Basilisk II immediately quits when I start

Post by Tornevas »

https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ba ... _osx_setup

I'm using a OS X Sierra, I've been following the guide here, but whenever I start the Basilisk II application, it immediately quits just like many other incompatible applications.

For reference, I have the

* DiskTools_MacOS8.image
* MacOS753.dsk
* OS753InstallerParts.dsk

All in the Basilisk II folder and loaded in the Basilisk II GUI.

I also used the Basilisk II gui to create a hard disc called MacOS753.dsk and made it 800 MB, however I had to manually add it to my volumes folder afterwards.

I did the unix root as /Users/*username*/Desktop/Media/Basilisk II/Shared OSX:Basilisk and set window refresh to dynamic.

I ignored the keyboard thing as my keyboard is already English QWERTY style. I than set the OS Ram size to 256, the model to Quadra 900 and the CPU type to 68040. I then checked all the boxes for Don't use CPU and ignore Illegal memory.

Yet still with all this, it quits at start up, what am I doing wrong? Did I download the wrong version?

viewtopic.php?p=41081&sid=249f073d632a5 ... 415#p41081

I downloaded the links in the first post of this topic. Did I need to download a different version? Is it because my rom was an ISO, but even when I unloaded the rom, I got the same result?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Basilisk II immediately quits when I start

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You do not mention which rom file you use. BasiliskII will not run without a compatible rom file.
Is it because my rom was an ISO, but even when I unloaded the rom, I got the same result?
An ISO file is a disk image file, not a ROM file. Maybe you confused ROM with CD-ROM?

The Setup guide tells you:
Basilisk II will not run without a compatible ROM file. If BasiliskII does not find a compatible ROM file, it will immediately quit on launch. It may be difficult to get ahold of a compatible ROM file as distributing bare ROM files violates Apple license agreements. ROM files from Quadra and Performa machines work best. Google “redundant robot sheepshaver” for downloads.

Best use the Performa ROM that can be downloaded from redundant robot.
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:29 pm You do not mention which rom file you use. BasiliskII will not run without a compatible rom file.
Is it because my rom was an ISO, but even when I unloaded the rom, I got the same result?
An ISO file is a disk image file, not a ROM file. Maybe you confused ROM with CD-ROM?

The Setup guide tells you:
Basilisk II will not run without a compatible ROM file. If BasiliskII does not find a compatible ROM file, it will immediately quit on launch. It may be difficult to get ahold of a compatible ROM file as distributing bare ROM files violates Apple license agreements. ROM files from Quadra and Performa machines work best. Google “redundant robot sheepshaver” for downloads.

Best use the Performa ROM that can be downloaded from redundant robot.
I was using a rom from macintosh repository, Alone in the Dark 1.

Where should I download roms for basilisk II? All I got from that site was a PERFORMA.ROM file.
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

Well I managed to start it with the performa rom, but it says:

*The system software on this disk is designed for starting up from a floppy disk only.
*Please re-install the system software from the disks or CD that came with your computer.

Than it asks me to intialize the disc, what should I do?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I think you're still getting a bit confused. Performa.rom is the file that replaces the ROM chips inside the computer you're emulating. The ISO image you've got replaces the physical CD you'd buy at the store. You're still missing the main bit, which the instructions walk you through: installing Mac OS on a virtual disk image. Once you've done that, you can boot into an *installed* Mac OS 8.1, mount the CD image, and run the game installer from the CD. This should install the game on your virtual hard disk. Then you can run the game.
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

adespoton wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:33 pm I think you're still getting a bit confused. Performa.rom is the file that replaces the ROM chips inside the computer you're emulating. The ISO image you've got replaces the physical CD you'd buy at the store. You're still missing the main bit, which the instructions walk you through: installing Mac OS on a virtual disk image. Once you've done that, you can boot into an *installed* Mac OS 8.1, mount the CD image, and run the game installer from the CD. This should install the game on your virtual hard disk. Then you can run the game.
Could you explain step by step.

Do I initialize the disc, what should I put in my shared folder and how do I mount the CD image?

I wanna be careful so I don't make any mistakes.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

In that page you linked, viewtopic.php?p=41081&sid=249f073d632a5 ... c807319415 - navigate down to the Setup Manuals section. It will walk you through the process.
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

adespoton wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:37 am In that page you linked, viewtopic.php?p=41081&sid=249f073d632a5 ... c807319415 - navigate down to the Setup Manuals section. It will walk you through the process.
I use this one right?

This setup manual in E-maculation wiki explains how to set up BasiliskII with System 7.5.3:
Setup manual: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/bas ... _osx_setup
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

So I just past the
Et voila!
part of the guide.

How do I load games right now? As right now, I can just put isos from repository onto the shared folder, but they still won't be compatible within the emulated mac.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You add disk image files like .iso files to the volumes list in the GUI. At next launch of BasiliskII, the disk will appear on the BasiliskII desktop. Disk image files from CD-ROMs should best be locked first in the host (OSX) host to make the emulator see the disk as a, non-writeable, CD.
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:54 am You add disk image files like .iso files to the volumes list in the GUI. At next launch of BasiliskII, the disk will appear on the BasiliskII desktop. Disk image files from CD-ROMs should best be locked first in the host (OSX) host to make the emulator see the disk as a, non-writeable, CD.
How do I do that, Lock Disk image files from CD-ROMs in the host (OSX) host, I mean?

Do I need a physical blank cd to burn onto or can I make do without a physical disc?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

It is useless to burn image files to CD as BasiliskII in OSX/macOS cannot read physical CDs

In OSX Finder select the file icon and hit command-I. In the Finder Info panel for the file check the "Locked" box.

Add the file to the volumes list in the BasiliskII GUI.
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:36 am In OSX Finder select the file icon and hit command-I. In the Finder Info panel for the file check the "Locked" box.
Ah right, I've done that before. Its locked by default, but I set the ISO to read only as well.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:36 am Add the file to the volumes list in the BasiliskII GUI.
I did that, but the Disc/iso still doesn't show up as something the mac emulator reads when it starts up, its still just an iso on the emulated desktop.

What do I do?

EDIT: Wait looks like if I set the ISO to boot from CD, it works!
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

Wait now its saying the AloneCD.img file is unreadable, is it because its an .img file?

Also how do I set my mac to color by default?
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/how-to- ... es-to-iso/

Hmm, I tried the terminal part and got a .CDR, but Basilisk II couldn't read it? This is with a file of Alone in the dark from the repository.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Please tell us more clearly and in detail what you are doing.
Much of what you write here does not make sense to me.
Its locked by default
No such file is locked by default. If it is locked, you did that yourself.
Wait looks like if I set the ISO to boot from CD, it works!
What do you mean with that? "Booting an ISO from CD"? Are you talking about a startup disk?
Wait now its saying the AloneCD.img file is unreadable, is it because its an .img file?
So it is not an .iso file but an .img file? Or are you trying both an .iso file and an .img file? BasiliskII reads both .iso and .img files fine, provided they are Mac HFS volumes.
Also how do I set my mac to color by default?
You mean the emulated Mac? If you set it up following the setup guide, it should be in color.
I tried the terminal part and got a .CDR,
Why is that? You do not need Terminal and you do not need to convert the image file if it is a compatible file.
This is with a file of Alone in the dark from the repository.
Which file, which "repository"? From where did you download the file?
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:31 pm No such file is locked by default. If it is locked, you did that yourself.
When I downloaded the file and info'd with command I, the padlock icon is on and in the name/privilege section, it says "read & write only", I set it to "read only."
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:31 pm What do you mean with that? "Booting an ISO from CD"? Are you talking about a startup disk?
I'm talking about the emulated CD-Rom programs, not the start up disc.

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:31 pm So it is not an .iso file but an .img file? Or are you trying both an .iso file and an .img file? BasiliskII reads both .iso and .img files fine, provided they are Mac HFS volumes.
It worked with a different ISO game, but not with the .img file.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:31 pm You mean the emulated Mac? If you set it up following the setup guide, it should be in color.
I followed the guide and the default desktop is black and white, though it asks me to do color when I enable a game, which I do.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:31 pm Why is that? You do not need Terminal and you do not need to convert the image file if it is a compatible file.
So Basilisk II on OS X can read .img?
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:31 pm Which file, which "repository"? From where did you download the file?
MacintoshRepository, I also got one from Macintosh Garden.

Also sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I'm new.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Did you follow https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ba ... _osx_setup ?

More than that, did you thoroughly read and understand it? It seems like you're trying to do things that aren't appropriate for your current configuration.

.img files can be added as disk images to the prefs file, and they can also be copied via the shared folder and mounted from the boot image using Disk Copy.

The sources you mentioned have AloneCD.toast_.sit. If the Stuffit archive is expanded, you get AloneCD.toast, which can be added to prefs as a CD image.
They also have AloneCD.img_.sit which you seem to have tried, which is a Disk Copy 6.3 image compressed with Stuffit. If you expand it, the .img file should be mountable in the same way as the toast file.

If you get to the AITD2 and 3 CDs, these are in bin/cue format. Bin/cue is also now supported by BII I believe; you have to add the cuefile to prefs and not rename the binfile. This will provide the audio tracks in the games. There's no audio track for AITD1 at this time as far as I know.

So... first thing to do is get your virtual Mac environment set up properly. Then you shut it down, adjust the prefs to add the AITD disk image, boot it back up, and either run from CD or install it on your virtual internal drive.
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

adespoton wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:15 pm Did you follow https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ba ... _osx_setup ?
I followed it closely.
adespoton wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:15 pm More than that, did you thoroughly read and understand it? It seems like you're trying to do things that aren't appropriate for your current configuration.
I figure something's off but I don't understand what exactly I'm off on.

The GUi specifications, I did word for word and I created the shared folder and 1mbMacrom folder.
adespoton wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:15 pm .img files can be added as disk images to the prefs file, and they can also be copied via the shared folder and mounted from the boot image using Disk Copy.

The sources you mentioned have AloneCD.toast_.sit. If the Stuffit archive is expanded, you get AloneCD.toast, which can be added to prefs as a CD image.
I initially downloaded the 3607-alone-in-the-dark-cd-version, but I later found the toast version on the trilogy page.

I was able to run the toast version on Basilisk II, however it was incredibly laggy and buggy, I'm assuming I did something wrong, but I followed all the instructions for Basilisk II GUI to my knowledge?
adespoton wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:15 pm They also have AloneCD.img_.sit which you seem to have tried, which is a Disk Copy 6.3 image compressed with Stuffit. If you expand it, the .img file should be mountable in the same way as the toast file.

If you get to the AITD2 and 3 CDs, these are in bin/cue format. Bin/cue is also now supported by BII I believe; you have to add the cuefile to prefs and not rename the binfile. This will provide the audio tracks in the games. There's no audio track for AITD1 at this time as far as I know.
I used unarchiver on the AloneCD.img_.sit and got an AloneCD.img, added it to the volume of GUI and set it to boot by disc than saved. But when I started the Basilisk II program, it says "this disk is unreadable by this macintosh. Do you want to initialize this disk?"
adespoton wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:15 pm So... first thing to do is get your virtual Mac environment set up properly. Then you shut it down, adjust the prefs to add the AITD disk image, boot it back up, and either run from CD or install it on your virtual internal drive.
Go on?

What do I need to do, I can tell the specifications I have of my basilisk and Gui?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Let us not make this more complicated than needed.

1. You can set color depth in Monitors control panel in System 7.5.3

2. I tried the downloads from Macintosh Garden.

AloneCD.img
Does not work with System 7.5.3 because it is in HFS+ format. This image file needs at least MacOS 8.1

Alone In The Dark.img (floppy version)
Does not work when added to the volumes list. (May work when mounted inside BasiliskII using Disk Copy. I did not try that.)

AloneCD.toast (from Alone in the Dark Trilogy page)
Works fine when added to the volumes list.

(I expanded the sit files in the macOS host using The Unarchiver)
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:51 pm Let us not make this more complicated than needed.

1. You can set color depth in Monitors control panel in System 7.5.3
This is inside the emulated mac, right? Where do I find the control panel?
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:51 pm 2. I tried the downloads from Macintosh Garden.

AloneCD.img
Does not work with System 7.5.3 because it is in HFS+ format. This image file needs at least MacOS 8.1

Alone In The Dark.img (floppy version)
Does not work when added to the volumes list. (May work when mounted inside BasiliskII using Disk Copy. I did not try that.)
That checks out for me. I also haven't tried the disk copy.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:51 pm AloneCD.toast (from Alone in the Dark Trilogy page)
Works fine when added to the volumes list.

(I expanded the sit files in the macOS host using The Unarchiver)
I used Unarchiver as well.

AloneCD.Toast starts and kinda works for me, but moves at an unplayably slow speed. How well did yours emulate? Were you able to run downstairs from the attic? A thing to note is holding shift and than pressing the arrow keys, makes the characters run in the macintosh version.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

On the Garden, be sure to read the bit about the "stairs bug" in the comments. It seems that there's an issue in certain configurations due to emulation going too fast. However, that's mostly for people using PowerPC hardware or emulating using SheepShaver or QEMU-PPC. But the problem appears to be not that things are running slowly, but that the emulation tries to run too quickly, causing stuttering, making the stairs unplayable. I wonder if running the game on Mini vMac with a fixed processor rate instead of on Basilisk II would fix this issue?
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

adespoton wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:42 pm On the Garden, be sure to read the bit about the "stairs bug" in the comments. It seems that there's an issue in certain configurations due to emulation going too fast. However, that's mostly for people using PowerPC hardware or emulating using SheepShaver or QEMU-PPC. But the problem appears to be not that things are running slowly, but that the emulation tries to run too quickly, causing stuttering, making the stairs unplayable. I wonder if running the game on Mini vMac with a fixed processor rate instead of on Basilisk II would fix this issue?

I remember that glitch happening before, but I read on Abandonia, there is a fix for it if you press the arrow keys the right way.

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/archiv ... t-122.html

In this topic, was where I read it?

Anyone know why my version of AiTD1 is running so slow?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Is your entire emulated Mac OS running slow? If so, it could be your screen resolution. What do you have it set to? And what color depth do you have set in the Monitors control panel?
Tornevas
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Tornevas »

adespoton wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:02 am Is your entire emulated Mac OS running slow? If so, it could be your screen resolution. What do you have it set to? And what color depth do you have set in the Monitors control panel?
Is screen resolution and the monitors control panel in the Basilisk II Gui? Because I only see volumes, Graphics/Sound, Keyboard/Mouse, Ports, System and JIT?

Also here's what I read on the glitch. Also the desktop is black and white, though when I first loaded a color game, it noted it'd set itself to color for the game.
if you mean the "VERY FIRST" room, you have to go over to the stairs in the upper right corner of the room (if you have a realy fast comp. like me your guy will instantly go back up, I figured out a way to get it to stay though) when you get to the bottom of the stairs INSTANTLY press ESC. then press ESC. again it should let you stay there now :[img]http://www.abandonia.com/forum/html/emoticons/laugh.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='laugh.gif' /> good luck :guns:
as well as
Everything you got to do is when you're about to go down the stairs just press the key to move forward just once, and when it's done and you're down try to stay away from the stairs and move to the sides.
The mac version has differences from the other version, I'm guessing several other mac ports have noticeable differences.