Sheepshaver crashes when I try to install a CD-ROM

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

alericcio66
Space Cadet

Sheepshaver crashes when I try to install a CD-ROM

Post by alericcio66 »

Hello everyone,
I'm a near neophyte to this emulator, but by following the directions step by step, I managed to get it working on my 2018 Mac mini with OS 12.3 Monterey. I also installed Quicktime 4.1.2. I can't configure internet, on TCP/IP I put DHCP manually, I copied the same addresses of the host, but it doesn't work, I ask if someone can help me. The other issue, more important, is to be able to see the CD-ROMs that were popular at the time, from 1994 to 2000, approximately, such as Xplora by Peter Gabriel. I have two, at the moment, that at the time were running perfectly on systems from 7.5.3. onwards with Quicktime 4.0.1. Not seeing the CD-ROM in the external driver, as described in the site, I tried to generate disk images, with the Disk utility, weighing 650 MB, through the Disk copy application, once copied to a volume other than Unix, is mounted correctly on the desktop, at that point, by double clicking on the disk installer, Sheepshaver crashes, I tried with all types of disk images, same result. I'm asking for help because I really don't know what to do and I installed the emulator, especially to view these nice CD-ROMs. Thank you very much.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Sheepshaver crashes when I try to install a CD-ROM

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. Do you use a regular SheepShaver setup as described in this setup manual: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup ?

2. You cannot use your own network addresses in TCP/IP.
It is all described in the setup manual:
- In SheepShaver preferences enter "slirp" for Ethernet interface.
- Set the TCP/IP control panel to Ethernet and DHCP. As soon as you start using IP network access, for instance with a web-browser, the IP addresses will become visible in the control panel.

The slirp networking works as a built-in router, the addresses you wil get using DHCP can also be set manually:
IP Address: 10.0.2.15
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router address: 10.0.2.2
Name-server address: 10.0.2.3

3. Also mentioned in the setup manual:
- SheepShaver cannot use physical CDs
- macOS Catalina and later cannot read and mount old (HFS) CDs and thus you cannot create disk images from these CDs with Disk Utility

If you want to use old games, best search the web for disk images of the old CDs, for instance on the Macintoh Garden site.

The description of a possible workaround for creating a disk image from at least the HFS volume of an old CD is also linked to from the setup manual (I did not yet try it in Monterey): viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10709

4. Finally, if you want to mount a disk image in SheepShaver, you add it to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences. If it is the image of a CD ROM, you check the the CDROM box next to the image path,
alericcio66
Space Cadet

Post by alericcio66 »

Dear Ronald,
thank you very much for your valuable advice, in fact I had forgotten to insert the "slirp" in the preferences, now Internet Explorer connects to the network but I do not get the html screens but only empty white squares, clicking on the words appears the words "Security failure, the server reply is invalid". Practically I can not open any page. Then I followed your instructions step by step, I created the iso from the CD with the commands from Terminal, mounted it in Sheepshaver preferences, the CD icon appears on the desktop, I click twice on the installer and the same thing happens as described above, Sheepshaver crashes and I have to restart it. I had managed to make a similar image and see the installer too and it crashed identically. I don't want to use this emulator for games, but to view old cultural (museum tours, etc.), tourist, and music CD-ROMs, such as Peter Gabriel's Xplora, which require an installer before you can browse them. They are all compatible from system 7.5.3 and up, on Power Pc. I would like to send you some screenshots to make you understand, but I don't see the possibility to attach them to this message. I ask you if you can still kindly help me on these two issues described. Thank you very much.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Internet Explorer Mac is too old to be able to access modern websites. You may have more success with Classilla: https://sourceforge.net/projects/classilla/

It is impossible for me to get any idea of what you are doing from a distance. I also do not know if is at all possible to view the CDs you mention in SheepShaver. I would need to have the actual CD-ROM here.

We do not allow to attach files to posts. You can show images in your posts by uploading the images to a place on the net where they can be accessed and then use the "insert image" BBCode (see toolbar above the field where you type your message) and enter the url to the image file.

If you make one of the disk images you created available on the net and post the url to the file here, maybe I can see why SheepShaver crashes when you try to use it. Best archive the disk image before you post it.
alericcio66
Space Cadet

Post by alericcio66 »

Dear Ronald,
that you again, tried to start Classilla, but it appears this error: "There is not enough memory to open "Classilla" (zero K needed, 487,244 K available). Closing windows or quitting desk accessories can make more memory available.
At the bottom of this message you can find the link with the .iso of the CD-ROM, as you will see, there is an installer before navigating the CD, like the most of that CD of that years (virtual tours on Museums, interactive books, music, etc. ). Thank you gain for your precious help and your kindness.
https://we.tl/t-qRkhfj9RUq
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

alericcio66 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:44 amried to start Classilla, but it appears this error: "There is not enough memory to open "Classilla" (zero K needed, 487,244 K available). Closing windows or quitting desk accessories can make more memory available.
Probably Classilla is still on the Unix disk. The setup guide tells you:
If you use the shared folder and “Unix” disk to transfer applications for use in SheepShaver, always copy the applications and related files within SheepShaver from the “Unix” disk to the startup system volume (or to another mounted disk image volume) before actually using them.
Note that moving files directly from the “Unix” disk onto the SheepShaver desktop, does not copy them to the startup system volume. Those files will still be on the “Unix” disk, in fact inside the folder “Desktop Folder” in the shared folder.

At the bottom of this message you can find the link with the .iso of the CD-ROM, as you will see, there is an installer before navigating the CD, like the most of that CD of that years (virtual tours on Museums, interactive books, music, etc. ). Thank you gain for your precious help and your kindness.
1. Do not use the QT 4.0.1 installer that is included on the CD. A later QT version is already installed in MacOS 9.0.4. Never install an older QT version over a newer version. See what is written about QuickTime in the SheepShaver setup manual. If you did install QT 4.0.1, you can correct it by installing QT 4.1.2.

2. Clicking the 'Suoni e Colori' icon also crashes my SheepShaver. I cannot tell why. Two possibilities I can think of:
- Possibly SheepShaver does not emulate hardware that is needed to run the application.
- If the disk image was created from the CD using my workaround for Catalina and later, it is also possible that that procedure does not make a complete copy of the CD-ROM (it makes an image of the HFS section of the disk only). The only way to find out is to make a proper disk image using Disk Utility on a Mac that runs macOS 10.14 (Mojave) or earlier.
alericcio66
Space Cadet

Post by alericcio66 »

Dear Ronald,
now Classilla works perfectly. Thank you for your help.
I tried to create a disk image on El Capitan, installed on another Mini Mac that I have, this OS see the CD-ROM, I see it on the desktop. I've unmounted it, create a disk image with with Disk Utility (only CD/DVD image was possible, the other three gives error), transferred on Monterey, mounted on Sheepshaver and the result was the same, when I tried to start the installer, Sheepshaver crashed. At this point I don't know what to do, because I need to see many CD-ROM's for my job, I'd like to use only a Mac in my office, my new Mac mini 2018, not to have also an old Mac only for run these CD's. I don't know if you have a solution, please let me know. Thank you again
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Nothing yet, but we're working on https://github.com/thejoelpatrol/fusehfs to get it running in Monterey. At that point, you should be able to mount HFS volumes again. But it's still got a few kinks to work out.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The disk image created by Disk Utility in El Capitan should be fine. If it does not work, something may be missing in SheepShaver. Could be hardware that is not emulated (SheepShaver is not a complete 'true' emulator) or it could be software.

I studied the content of the disk image you linked to earlier. The application has an intact resource fork. Also, all images, movies, music, speech, and sounds on the disk seem to be intact and are playable.

I also notice several .cxt files and one .dxr file on the disk. Apparently a presentation created by Adobe Director.

I tried to run it in System 7.5.5 in BasiliskII (after installing QT 4.0.1). It does not crash BasiliskII but I get a -192 error:
-192 resNotFound Resource not found
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I did a quick Google to confirm my suspicions: -192 often triggers when you try to run PPC code on a 68k system.

So this CD-ROM likely requires SheepShaver to run but is depending on some 68k-only files. If it doesn't contain a CODE resource but contains Joy!peff at the start of the data fork, it's PPC-only. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_binary for more info.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

It is PPC only. From the ReadMe on the disk:

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Power PC or better
System 7.5.3 or better
CD-ROM player 8x or better (recommended)
Video card 16 bit
Sound card 16 bit
32 Mb of RAM available (64 Mb suggested)
QuickTime 4.01 or better (4.01 included)
alericcio66
Space Cadet

Post by alericcio66 »

Dear Ronald,
thank you very much again.
Is not possible to run CD-ROM Power PC only on Sheepshaver? There is another way to run it? If not, you'll think to implement this feature in the near future? I can do a little donation to contribute to this development.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

- I do not know why this CD-ROM (image) does not work in SheepShaver.
- As long as it is not clear why it does not run in SheepShaver, it is not possible to find a solution or even to tell if there can be a solution.
- I am not the developer of SheepShaver. I am just an experienced user who posts builds from source to help less experienced users. The developer of the source code that is used for my current builds is kanjitalk755.
- All work on SheepShaver and BasiliskII is done by volunteers in their free time. Donations will not give us more free time.

Maybe these CD-ROMS (images) can be played in QEMU. QEMU is a more complete emulator but it is much more complex to set up. Builds from the official source do not support sound (yet). Some experimental builds do.
viewtopic.php?t=8848
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes,

This cd rom runs perfectly in a sound-enabled Qemu build.
It performs a system check before actually running.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Well, then that is the way to go.
Which MacOS guest system did you use?

@ alericcio66
If you need help with QEMU setup, post in the ppc QEMU forum.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Mac OS 9.2

Best,
Cat_7
alericcio66
Space Cadet

Post by alericcio66 »

Ok, perfect, thank you very much for your kind and precious help. I go to the QEMU forum.