SheepShaver and Keyboard Access

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Bannon
Space Cadet

SheepShaver and Keyboard Access

Post by Bannon »

Let me start with the caveat that I am a novice Mac user but not a novice to personal computers ...

I am trying to setup SheepShaver (SS) on a 2018 Mac Mini with 8GB memory and running 12.2.1 and I am not getting very far:

- I downloaded the SS folder and dropped it on the desktop
- I downloaded the 64 bit version of SS and copied it into the SS folder
- I downloaded the New World PPC ROM from Redundant Robot, renamed it to Mac OS ROM, and copied it into the SS folder
- I downloaded MacOS 9.0.4 from Macintosh Garden and copied it to the SS folder
- When starting (double clicking) on SS I receiver a message saying SS would like to receive keystrokes from any application; I open system preferences; and add SS to the input monitoring section; but this doesn't change the error message. I cannot get past this step.

Please help!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: SheepShaver and Keyboard Access

Post by adespoton »

Sounds like you're on the right path. Try moving the SheepShaver folder to your Applications folder now. Then run it from there; after any notifications, you should be able to go to File->Preferences to continue setup.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

It is a known issue with one of the older SheepShaver builds. The build was replaced quickly with a build that fixed the issue. Exactly which SheepShaver build (build date!) do you use?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Looked back. The issue emerged in macOS Catalina and was solved in the 4 December 2019 build.

You are probably running the 4 May 2019, 64-bit Intel build, which should not be used on macOS later than 10.12 (Sierra).
You are on macOS 12 (Monterey), you should use the 24 January 2022 universal build.
Bannon
Space Cadet

Post by Bannon »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:32 am Looked back. The issue emerged in macOS Catalina and was solved in the 4 December 2019 build.

You are probably running the 4 May 2019, 64-bit Intel build, which should not be used on macOS later than 10.12 (Sierra).
You are on macOS 12 (Monterey), you should use the 24 January 2022 universal build.
BINGO! I was using the May version and as soon as I replaced it with the January 2022 version it started up correctly. Thanks!