BasiliskII/Windows Problems

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

J_Tiedeman
Space Cadet

BasiliskII/Windows Problems

Post by J_Tiedeman »

Are other folks having better luck than I am with BasiliskII in Windows?

I’m in the process of throwing away all my old Mac diskettes, reviewing them, seeing if there are things on them that I want to keep. (I had a Mac IIx, that I was using around 1987 to 1995.)

I’ve been working with BasiliskII. With a little work, I found a ROM image that worked for Quadra 900 emulation. (I got that from quadra605.mcdonnelltech.com.) And I’m running software from my diskettes. I think that’s great, to be able to do that. But I am having very mixed luck with the software. Only about half of it will run, maybe less. A typical kind of result that I get is I’ll get a window that looks like it’s probably a window for an error message but it’s blank and BasiliskII hangs.

I thought possibly I might have better luck with Mac IIci emulation, since I was on a IIx. I’ve tried a number of ROM images. I got one to work, a Mac IIsi ROM image, but it only worked once. The next time I started BasiliskII, I just got either a blank window or a gray window (I don’t remember which) and a hang.

Are other folks doing better than I am?

Any suggestions about anything I might be doing wrong, any settings maybe I should be using?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: BasiliskII/Windows Problems

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

It is is a common misunderstanding that with BasiliskII one needs the rom file from a certain Mac model to emulate that Mac model. The emulated Mac model is determined by the settings. A rom file that will work fine for BasiliskII, regardless the emulated model, is the Performa ROM that can be downloaded from the Redundant Robot site (confusingly from the SheepShaver page): https://www.redundantrobot.com/sheepshaver
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If the original system was a Mac IIx, you might have better luck getting your software to run using the Mac II build of Mini vMac. It's possible that the software never ran properly under the OS versions that Basilisk II supports.
J_Tiedeman
Space Cadet

Post by J_Tiedeman »

With regard to System 7, I was using it with the installation disk images still mounted. I switched to the Performa ROM and rebuilt my system disk and I have System 7 running.

I’m still frequently running into software that won’t run (although, strangely, I’m getting different types of problems than I was before). I tried running two of those pieces of software on Infinite Mac and they ran. So I think there are issues on the emulator side.

Thanks, very much, for the above posts.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

If you want advice here about problems with running certain software, you will need to be more specific: Which software and what kind of problems.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

J_Tiedeman wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:40 pm I tried running two of those pieces of software on Infinite Mac and they ran. So I think there are issues on the emulator side.
Infinite Mac is just Basilisk II running in WebASM. So there should be no difference in emulation between the two other than personal configuration and OS.