Playing games with a friend over the internet in BasiliskII running on Windows?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Kalieum
Space Cadet

Playing games with a friend over the internet in BasiliskII running on Windows?

Post by Kalieum »

I feel this must have been asked multiple times before, but all searching has turned up for me have been guides for accessing the internet via a browser in BasiliskII, guides that seem specific to running the emulator in a mac environment, and occasional snippets here and there that don't seem to resolve into a full set of instructions.

We tried (and failed) to cobble a solution together from those snippets yesterday, so I suppose I'm asking a) Is this even possible and b) if so, is there a step-by-step guide anywhere? Using SheepShaver is also an option if there's a solution that only works with that.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Playing games with a friend over the internet in BasiliskII running on Windows?

Post by adespoton »

Did you check out the Wiki Guides?

There's a few in there for getting your networking configured correctly, both for TCP/IP games and for AppleTalk games.
Kalieum
Space Cadet

Re: Playing games with a friend over the internet in BasiliskII running on Windows?

Post by Kalieum »

The setup guides under How-To don't mention it at all, and in the Extra Guides section there're the two Getting Online guides which appear to only be about getting a web browser working, but don't work with incoming connections. Aside from that, I see "AppleTalk for SheepShaver/Basilisk II for Windows 7/Vista/XP (32-bit)", which, as well as my friend and I being on 64-bit systems, that first sentence of that guide says using it is discouraged.
Emulators->Basilisk II has a "Appletalk for Basilisk II for Windows" link on the page, but that takes me to the same 'using this is discouraged' guide.

Are there more useful guides I'm missing?

Edit: I should also clarify that we tried both the SheepShaver and Basilisk Getting Online guides combined with adding the redirect in the preferences with no luck, but now I'm looking again the SheepShaver Setup guide linked from the Discouraged guide looks to be either slightly different or slightly more detailed for the setup than the individual Getting Online guides were.
To be honest, I'm still feeling a little lost looking at these instructions - I don't have any real experience with networks - and the impression I'm getting is there's a fair amount of assumed understanding beyond the plain instructions, but I've got enough to give it another go.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If you know which ports you need available, you can try SLIRP port forwarding as discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7782 That's not a discouraged method, but it is less-known, and wasn't working on Windows for a few years.

Setting up Tun/Tap is your only other option. The easiest way to do that is to use the Tun device provided by OpenVPN.
Kalieum
Space Cadet

Post by Kalieum »

I would swear blind that we'd already followed that in conjunction with the Getting Online guide that used Slirp, but we tried it again with the intent of being able to give a more specific step-by-step of what exactly we tried, and it just worked this time.

I can only assume I made a mistake last time. Regardless, it's working now; thanks very much for the responses.