vMac Windows Command Line Options don't work

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

sshrugg
Inquisitive Elf

vMac Windows Command Line Options don't work

Post by sshrugg »

Hello! I'm trying to run vmac from an external launcher and load in different roms / dsk files depending on the game selected.

I'm having trouble with the -r and -o command line options. In fact, all command line options are not working in version 36.04. I get the error "I did not understand one of the command line arguments, and ignored it." no matter what I try.

I'm following this guide : https://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/dnld_std.html

I've also tried --r --o and /r /o

Tested with and without quotes with multiple file names an paths

Can anybody recommend a version where this is working?
egrath
Space Cadet

Re: vMac Windows Command Line Options don't work

Post by egrath »

Hi,

the only command line options vMac Mini understands are documented here:

https://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/cont ... mmand_line

and are essentially "-r" for loading a ROM image and "-d" for specifying the directory to look for the ROM and disk images. What you are refering to are probably the build options which can be passed to the makefile generation utility for building the variations.

Egon
sshrugg
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sshrugg »

Yes. Those are the instructions I am referring to. They do not work.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

sshrugg wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:53 pm Yes. Those are the instructions I am referring to. They do not work.
Those instructions say nothing about an "o" flag, which is likely why you're getting "I did not understand one of the command line arguments, and ignored it.".
sshrugg
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sshrugg »

-o is "open disc image"

It also isn't working when I test with -r only.

I'll post a video and further details when I get a chance.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

The only command-line arguments are the one listed underneath the heading "Command Line Arguments." The O command is used only in control mode, which is available only after the app is launched, not from the command line. And the R command used alone (without a filename) is also used only in control mode. Please look again at the instructions.
sshrugg
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sshrugg »

Darn. I was afraid that would be the case. That means mini vmac won't work after all. Darn. Thanks!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

sshrugg wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:18 am Darn. I was afraid that would be the case. That means mini vmac won't work after all. Darn. Thanks!
Why won't it work? You can auto-boot by having vMac.rom and disk1.dsk in the same directory as MiniVmac.exe and just place a shortcut to MiniVmac.exe wherever you want it?
egrath
Space Cadet

Post by egrath »

... and in addition, you can also pass the desired disk images to MinivMac.exe as a command line parameter. So if you want to run Mini vMac from a Frontend with a selected game, simply pass the /path/to/dsk to the executable for startup.
sshrugg
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sshrugg »

I suppose is only have to have duplicates of app for different ROMs. Thanks everybody. I'll have another swing at it
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If you want to use different ROMs, you need to use different builds of Mini vMac: each build target only works with one ROM.

I just stick each build+ROM+disk image in its own folder with the exe appropriately named (MacPlus.exe, MacII.exe, Mac128.exe, etc.)
sshrugg
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sshrugg »

Yeah, adespoton! Thanks for the suggestion. I agree that's the best approach.

I was setting this up and have it working with some official builds. Jumped down the rabbit hole compiling my own versions last night in Ubuntu just so that I can set options such as full screen / magnification. Getting windows.h not found errors currently that seem to be caused by an issue with mingw-x64 or something...

That's for another thread, though. Currently I'm double checking for silly mistakes on my end