Windows BasiliskIIGUI doesn't show disks, etc. until clicked

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Windows BasiliskIIGUI doesn't show disks, etc. until clicked

Post by emendelson »

I don't know if this is affected by my Windows video driver, or whether it's a problem for everyone, but here it is:

When I use the Windows BasiliskIIGUI program (or the SheepShaverGUI) the entries in the Volumes list, ROM file, window size, etc., don't appear until I click inside the field.

Here are two images: The first is what I see when I start the GUI. Keep in mind that the disk image file is ALREADY in the prefs file - but only becomes visible in the GUI when I click in the Volumes field. I am NOT adding the image; it's already there, but not showing in the GUI.

In the second image, I've clicked inside the Volumes list and the disk image appears.

Is this happening only on my system? If not, is there a possible fix?

And please keep in mind that I did NOT click Add after making the first screen shot. I only clicked inside the box, causing the filename that was ALREADY THERE to appear.

Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Windows BasiliskIIGUI doesn't show disks, etc. until clicked

Post by Cat_7 »

Never seen anything like that.

You have all dll's from msys2 you used to compile with the executable?
Does the number of colours settings in Windows change anything?

Are you running your Windows screen using some scale factor?

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I'm running it from the src/Windows directory in my msys32 setup. Are there any dlls that I should get from somewhere else?

And my video driver (Windows 11, Nvidia GT 1030, up to date) doesn't let me choose anything other than 32-bit color. And I'm not scaling the display. I'm using default settings.

This machine can also boot to Windows 7 - I'll try it there as soon as I can - but the Windows 7 setup of course uses the same video card.

Very strange - but it's good to know that this shouldn't happen. I've had this problem for years.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

If you don't use the dll's from msys2, or don't have the path variable set to include the C:\msys32\mingw32\bin folder, do you then perhaps have an old gtk development environment installed?

When I create a build I copy the dll's from C:\msys32\mingw32\bin into the folder where I keep the executable.
Most dll's are actually needed for the GUI, not the SheepShaver executable itself.

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Cat_7 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:55 pm When I create a build I copy the dll's from C:\msys32\mingw32\bin into the folder where I keep the executable.
Most dll's are actually needed for the GUI, not the SheepShaver executable itself.
That fixed it. Thank you! It gave the GUI the old-X-system-style fonts instead of the current Windows fonts (as in my screen shots). Is that how it's supposed to look?

Will check my environmental variables next... Thank you again.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

And yes, the msys32 (etc.) folder was not in my PATH variable. Thank you again.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

This is how it looks at my place:

https://surfdrive.surf.nl/files/index.p ... o1cmlVgBOJ

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

And when I add all the required dlls, this is how it how it looks here:

It's slightly different from yours: the font is different (wider, and notice the different "J" in "JIT"). It seems to use GUI elements from the GTK toolkit, not the standard Windows GUI, as yours does.

It would be good to figure out how to make it use the Windows GUI elements, but it's not essential. When I download your latest build (from the first post in the forum), the GUI looks as it does in this image, not as it does in the one you linked to in your message. Strange!

EDIT: Well, ignore that last question. The screenshot I posted was taken from an old Windows 10-updated-to-11 system. When I boot to a clean Windows 11 system, I get the same font that you have. It seems that GTK is using some font that's installed in my old system, but not in the new one. Now to figure out which font it is...
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

And the answer to my font question was this. On my old system, the font used by the app was Deja Vu Sans. When I deleted that font from the system, the app looked like the one in Cat_7's screenshot, which is much better.