SheepShaver Installation and User Guides

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: SheepShaver Installation and User Guides

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Both "ROM" and "Mac OS ROM" should work and both work here with the latest universal build with no rom file name (yet) in prefs.

Are you sure you did not have the file name extension hidden instead of removed, or a maybe just "rom" removed instead of ".rom" while editing the file name in the File Info panel, or maybe a space too many somewhere in the name?
Kajashey
Space Cadet

Post by Kajashey »

I tried again and now both names work. I guess I made a mistake the first time around. Thanks for your support.
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

uhm k, question: I've got an iMac M3 and I'm back in daily driving a Mac after a 19 years hiatus. Under Windows I had multiple instances (folders) of SheepShaver each running with a different ROM, different disks, etc... never had an issue with this. Now under macOS 14, I'm running the 2023-08-10 v2.5 build downloaded from here and I can get ONE (1) instance of SheepShaver working, then when I go back to a previous SheepShaver folder and launch it, I realize all the configuration was overwritten by the other SheepShaver instance. So uhm, how can I have separate instances of SheepShaver that don't overwrite each other's configuration? Before, each instance had a SheepShaver_prefs file in its folder, now under macOS there isn't any?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

SheepShaver works differently in macOS. In a regular setup there is only one prefs file. It is the hidden file .sheepshaver_prefs in your Home folder. Note the leading dot in the file's name, which makes the file invisible in the Finder.

Look in our SheepShaver for OSX/macOS setup guide for "Self-contained virtual machines". You can create separate virtual machines, each with its own set of files inside the virtual machine package.

https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Ah yes! I missed the "Self-contained virtual machines" paragraph, thanks!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

that-ben wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:51 pm Ah yes! I missed the "Self-contained virtual machines" paragraph, thanks!
If you don't want a bunch of .sheepvm folders, you can also use Emendelson's containerized apps which embed the virtual machine inside the executable.

I use my own custom versions, such that I've got a self-contained app running every OS from the original Twiggy DP through the latest macOS (the latest ones really just fire off a VM in the background, but it looks like an App in the Finder).

But everyone who uses SheepShaver should really take the extra time to set up .sheepvm folders; it's not really any more complicated than the default setup, and it means that the contents are more portable between devices and easier to move to a new version of SS when it comes out, and you don't have to worry about different flavours getting mixed up with each other.
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Well, I mean, it's not that hard to make .sheepvm and I don't really mind that way, BUT has anybody ever encountered this issue I've been facing for days with multiple .sheepvm : Every time I reboot my iMac M3 (macOS 14 Sonoma) it no longer understands what the .sheepvm "files" (packages, really) are associated with. When I see this pop up, I have to right-click the .sheepvm "file", then "Show Package Contents", then double click SheepShaver.app then it fails to boot, because it doesn't find the proper configuration, then I force quit it, then I get out of the package folder and I can finally double click the .sheepvm and then it launches successfully. It's kind of annoying and I don't understand why I have to do that every time I reboot my computer and how manually launching SheepShaver.app in the package clears this Finder error (until I reboot).

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Where are you storing the SheepShaver app, and with what permissions?

I've had issues like that before when only a user account had access to the main app, and it kept losing the bundle associations.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

It seems you have SheepShaver.app installed inside the .sheepvm package. If you created several .sheepvm packages and installed SheepShaver.app in each of them, the Finder will loose track of which SheepShaver.app to use.

Better have only one copy of SheepShaver.app installed. If you use all VMs in the same user account, it can be installed anywhere, even inside one of the VMs.
1day
Space Cadet

Post by 1day »

I am using high sierra 10.13.6.

I downloaded the SheepSaver. From what I understand, this is an emulator. But upon trying to open it from the desktop -- it begins to open (the animation is shown on the bottom bar) then never does and closes.

Please assist.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

SheepShaver will not run on its own. It needs additional files and a proper setup. Follow our setup guide:
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup
flaurens
Space Cadet

Latest macOS build download link

Post by flaurens »

Hello,
it seems that the download link for the Dec 29, 2023 macOS build announced here: viewtopic.php?p=77615#p77615
in fact points to the previous (Aug 10, 2023) macOS build.

Is this normal?

Thanks,
--FL
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Not normal, no. Thanks for reporting. My mistake.
I corrected the download link.
flaurens
Space Cadet

Post by flaurens »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:53 am I corrected the download link.
Thanks!
--FL
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

adespoton wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:44 pm Where are you storing the SheepShaver app, and with what permissions?
Whew, things got a little bit out of hand lately, but I'm back after a month of silence! Happy new year a little late!
Normal/Vanilla permissions. The SheepShaver apps are in their respective packages, so for Mac OS 9.0.4 I've got a SheepShaver.sheepvm package and inside there's a SheepShaver.app with its New World ROM and prefs file... same for Mac OS 8.1, it has a SheepShaver.sheepvm package but inside there's a SheepShaver.app + a 4MB Old World ROM + different prefs file. Each version of Mac OS that I use has its own package with its own inner SheepShaver.app.
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:49 am It seems you have SheepShaver.app installed inside the .sheepvm package. If you created several .sheepvm packages and installed SheepShaver.app in each of them, the Finder will loose track of which SheepShaver.app to use.
That's exactly what I have, yes. And happy new year a little late to you too!
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:49 am Better have only one copy of SheepShaver.app installed. If you use all VMs in the same user account, it can be installed anywhere, even inside one of the VMs.
OK but the issue with this (at least that I can think of) is that I need a different prefs file and ROM for each package so if there's only one SheepShaver.app and it's outside of the package, then how is it going to find each package's ROM and prefs file? Or am I misunderstanding how this works? I'm so used to SheepShaver under Windows. This package thing is totally new to me.

Hey, while we're here, do you guys know why macOS Sonoma (perhaps happening in other macOS'es, not sure) displays a missing icon in the Applications folder in the dock for SheepShaver.sheepvm? If I make an alias to the actual .app instead of .sheepvm then the icon shows up fine in the Applications folder, but SheepShaver does not boot up, because it does not find its ROM and prefs file. When I make a .sheepvm alias then it boots up just fine, but there is no icon. It's not the end of the world, but I would like Basilisk II and SheepShaver package aliases to have an icon. I tried to copy/paste the icon from the .app to the .sheepvm using FILE > GET INFO and I see it when I navigate in the Finder to that folder, but in the Applications folder in the dock there are no icons for those aliases :(

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

that-ben wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:09 pm
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:49 am It seems you have SheepShaver.app installed inside the .sheepvm package. If you created several .sheepvm packages and installed SheepShaver.app in each of them, the Finder will loose track of which SheepShaver.app to use.
That's exactly what I have, yes. And happy new year a little late to you too!
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:49 am Better have only one copy of SheepShaver.app installed. If you use all VMs in the same user account, it can be installed anywhere, even inside one of the VMs.
OK but the issue with this (at least that I can think of) is that I need a different prefs file and ROM for each package so if there's only one SheepShaver.app and it's outside of the package, then how is it going to find each package's ROM and prefs file? Or am I misunderstanding how this works? I'm so used to SheepShaver under Windows. This package thing is totally new to me.
Yes, you are misunderstanding how these sheepvm packages work. You should best have only one SheepShaver application installed somewhere, like in your applications folder. It does not need to be in one of your .sheepvm packages. It can be, but better not to prevent confusion.

When you double click a sheepvm package, SheepShaver will start and it will use the prefs file in that particular sheepvm package and the files that prefs file points to.
When you double click SheepShaver itself, it will use the hidden .sheepshaver_prefs file in your Home folder and the files that hidden prefs file points to.

Also for setting up a new .sheepvm virtual machine, SheepShaver does not need to be inside that package (better not).
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:00 pm When you double click a sheepvm package, SheepShaver will start and it will use the prefs file in that particular sheepvm package and the files that prefs file points to.
Makes sense, now that's clear. So only one .app needs to be on my Mac and it can be anywhere on the hard drive. Thanks for the clarification. Do you have any idea about the missing .sheepvm alias icon in the Applications folder in the dock?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

that-ben wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:04 pmDo you have any idea about the missing .sheepvm alias icon in the Applications folder in the dock?
I do not know why the icon would not show in the Dock. Try deleting the alias and create a new one.
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:15 pm Try deleting the alias and create a new one.
That did the trick! Thanks :) I've got to pick up the pace on refreshing how Mac OS works after so many years under Winblows.
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Nope. Rebooted the iMac and now the SheepShaver alias icons in my Applications folder are gone again :( Basilisk II icons are still there though. Ugh.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Strange. It does not happen here. But this is in Sonoma on M1 iMac.