BasiliskII for Windows

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: BasiliskII for Windows

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Depends on the System/MacOS version, but in both System 7.1 and System 7.5, the Sound control panel is in the Control Panels folder in the System folder.

A "Sound" extension does not exist. Maybe adespoton refers to the "Sound Manager" extension. It was available in early System 7.5 versions and was removed in System 7.5.3. A later "Sound Manager" extension was again installed with QuickTime installations.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:12 am Depends on the System/MacOS version, but in both System 7.1 and System 7.5, the Sound control panel is in the Control Panels folder in the System folder.

A "Sound" extension does not exist. Maybe adespoton refers to the "Sound Manager" extension. It was available in early System 7.5 versions and was removed in System 7.5.3. A later "Sound Manager" extension was again installed with QuickTime installations.
Yup; I believe that's the one needed for 7.1 sound in BII. From viewtopic.php?t=7890 installing Quicktime 2.5 in System 7.1 appears to install the correct extension. The installer is available from Macintosh Garden's quicktime-2 page. Likewise, you won't get a shared folder in 7.1 without installing the File System Manager which is on MG at file-system-manager-12
skeletonspaghetti
Space Cadet

Post by skeletonspaghetti »

I'm following the guide linked in the OP and using the most recent build linked there to try to set up an os8.1 instance. I can get it to boot off the install image but when I try to install I'm getting "Drive Setup cannot be launched on this computer". This also happens if I try to manually run Drive Setup. Is there a setting that I likely missed when configuring my emulator?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You should not need Drive Setup. Did you create a hard disk image in the GUI on which to install MacOS? After clicking Start, did you allow initializing of that volume during startup? Then you should see both the install disk and the created volume on the desktop. When you then start the installer, you can choose the volume you created as the volume on which the MacOS should be installed.
skeletonspaghetti
Space Cadet

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:50 pm You should not need Drive Setup. Did you create a hard disk image in the GUI on which to install MacOS? After clicking Start, did you allow initializing of that volume during startup? Then you should see both the install disk and the created volume on the desktop. When you then start the installer, you can choose the volume you created as the volume on which the MacOS should be installed.
I did create the hard disk image in the GUI and initialize it during startup. When I run the Mac OS Installer it brings up the Drive Setup error while the installer is at "Updating Apple hard disk drivers".
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Updating the Apple hard disk drivers is not needed with a volume on a hard disk image. Some installers still insist on doing that.

Cancel the operation and quit the installer.

Then start again, but in the screen where the actual installation can be started (usually the first screen after the software license agreement), first click the “Options…” button and uncheck the option to “Update Apple Hard Disk Drivers”. Installation should now proceed normally.
skeletonspaghetti
Space Cadet

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:20 pm Updating the Apple hard disk drivers is not needed with a volume on a hard disk image. Some installers still insist on doing that.

Cancel the operation and quit the installer.

Then start again, but in the screen where the actual installation can be started (usually the first screen after the software license agreement), first click the “Options…” button and uncheck the option to “Update Apple Hard Disk Drivers”. Installation should now proceed normally.
That seems to have done the trick. Thanks so much for your help!
oldtimergames
Space Cadet

Post by oldtimergames »

I am trying to get the BasiliskII running for my Windows 10 [2019 computer] . I am a total newbie and would appreciate the help.

I've only downloaded the "BasiliskII-Windows-29-05-2021" files and upon looking into a few videos, it appears I need more than just that to get the emulator working. And then I installed "Cockatrice III (Win32 i386) v0.0-5a"... Please help!

I'm trying to play a few games including "Spell it Deluxe"- all games I found on macintoshrepository. This is how I learned that I would need an Emulator in order to play the games.

[Sorry if this wasn't the thread to post on.]
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Use the regular BasiliskII. Cockatrice is a different thing.

Do not let various videos confuse you, just follow our BasiliskII setup guide: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup
(Skip the section about upgrading, start at "Introduction")
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

A new build was posted in the first post in this thread, fixing the cdrom entry reset at reboot.

Best,
Cat_7
cooz
Space Cadet

Post by cooz »

Can someone please reply to my question below is the topic name?

My BasiliskII sound drops out during playing games: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11338
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moderator edit: Added link to the mentioned topic
bfranske
Space Cadet

Post by bfranske »

Are there any known issues with the last few Windows builds? I have tried both 02-09-2021 and 29-05-2021 on two different computers with the similar results running Windows 10.

On my primary PC at first I got a reasonable error, Basilisk started up and showed a no boot disk (blinking ? on floppy) message inside the emulator. I thought something may be wrong with either my HDD image or the boot disk image I was trying to use so I removed the HDD image and tried different boot disk images. From that point on as soon as I hit the start button and the GUI tries launching the actual BII program the program just hangs (no video output in the window at all).

On the second PC I never even got BII to boot once, trying just with a couple different boot images as soon as start is pressed in the GUI the BII program launches and immediately hangs.

Any thoughts?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Did you follow our setup guide? https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup
If so, which option did you follow? Option one (MacOS 8.1) or option two (System 7.5.3)?
bfranske
Space Cadet

Post by bfranske »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:33 pm Did you follow our setup guide? https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup
If so, which option did you follow? Option one (MacOS 8.1) or option two (System 7.5.3)?
Not specifically, I've used (much older) versions of BII several years ago so I took a look at the guide but it seemed to be pretty standard to the way things were done before. I am trying to install 7.5.3 but note that I was not even able to boot with just a startup disk, and I did actually try using the statup disk you provided after my own did not seem to be working.

On a hunch though I realized I had only been trying one ROM image (from one of my IIci computers) and just tried another one which seems to be working... So I believe there is either something wrong with the ROM image or something wrong with how BII is interacting with the image. I'd like to try reading the ROM on some of my other systems and seeing if I can get BII working with those ROMs. Is there a preferred utility/process which is known to produce ROM images that work correctly with BII?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The easiest way to get a working rom is to search the internet for redundant robot sheepshaver and download the rom called performa rom.

Best,
Cat_7
psh
Tinkerer

Post by psh »

Hi!
i had problem with keycode of BasiliskII. it said that it cannot find the vendor "windows"
proof: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T6wyPs ... sp=sharing
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Apparently you use a (newer) SDL2 BasiliskII build with an old keycodes file. I checked the content of the latest (02-09-2021) BasiliskII for Windows download and, indeed, it contains an old version of the keycodes file that is not compatible with the newer BasiliskII builds.

The keycodes file in this download will work (also read the included ReadMe): http://ronaldpr.home.xs4all.nl/keycodes ... t_2021.zip
kondor999
Space Cadet

Post by kondor999 »

Would there be any way for you to use a somewhat faster storage site? I'm getting 3-5 kb/s download speeds (not a typo) from this Surfdrive thing you're using. Google drive is pretty cheap, so is Mega or, well, pretty much anything would be a lot better.

It takes 45 min to 1 hour just to download a 9.5mb file.

In 2022.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I have no idea why you would be getting that kind of throttled downloads.
It would a bit of a problem for education and research if the network of the joint universities in the Netherlands was limited to that speed ;-)

I've heard no-one else complain about it.

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Cat_7 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:58 am I have no idea why you would be getting that kind of throttled downloads.
It would a bit of a problem for education and research if the network of the joint universities in the Netherlands was limited to that speed ;-)

I've heard no-one else complain about it.
It took less than two seconds to download the 9.9MB BasiliskII for Windows file, on a wireless laptop in the USA.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I've also never had any issues from the north of the continent.
classicmacfangirl
Space Cadet

Post by classicmacfangirl »

Hi!!

I'm hoping someone can help me please. I have an old Macintosh SE, (model M5011). The HDD is crashing at start up, and I can't get around it. I don't have any floppies disks I can use to to try and reinstall 6.0.3 on it so I'm trying, (trying), to build a hard drive image in Basilisk II that I can then move on to a SD Card.

I'm hoping I'm making just a dumb mistake but when I try to run Basilisk II it locks up.

I have made a pastebin of the preferences file: https://pastebin.com/Gct8FzCa

To show everything.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Perhaps try renaming the ROM file to something like

ROM

and put it in the same folder with the BasiliskII.exe, and change the prefs file to match?

This is just a guess!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

There might be several issues with the approach you chose.
1. Disk image created with Basilisk are not full drive images, only partition images. Your old Mac might not boot from it. You would need to create a new disk image with e.g. Qemu or perhaps CockatriceIII. Basilisk can read those.
2. Current BasiliskII builds do not boot System 6, so you need to install System 6 from within an installation with e.g. Mac OS 7.5 onto that other disk image. Then attempt to copy the disk image to your medium to boot the old Mac.

Best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

There is new Basilisk for Windows build available in the first post.

Best,
Cat_7