SoftMac setup guide

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ClockWise
Site Admin

SoftMac setup guide

Post by ClockWise »

Here, then, is a guide to setting up SoftMac and installing System 7.5.5:

http://emaculation.com/doku.php/softmac_setup
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes, I saw it. Quite a complex beast :lol:

Cat_7
Buddha
Student Driver

Accessing Windows Files in SoftMac

Post by Buddha »

In the properties dialog for SoftMac, I have a check box to enable Windows File Access. Is this similar to the My Computer in Basilisk and Sheepshaver? I notice that when I enable this function by checking the box, I still see no way to access my Windows files within SoftMac.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanx,

Buddha
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

No it isn't. You'll have to use HFVExplorer to send files in and out of your images.
Buddha
Student Driver

Post by Buddha »

Thanx. What does the Windows File Access function do?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Actually, according to the documentation it is supposed to be like the "My Computer" option like you described. But I don't think it actually works.

http://www.emulators.com/gemul8r.htm
Buddha
Student Driver

Post by Buddha »

Upon further investigation, SoftMac comes with a transfer utility on the utilities disk image. I copied this to my emulated HDD and it needs the Windows Acces box checked in order to function. So, apparently it serves a similar purpose to My Computer in Sheepshaver and Basilisk, you just need the utility off the floppy image in order to take advantage of it.
Celtorai
Space Cadet

Post by Celtorai »

In the guide you guys have provided, I have stumbled upon a problem I can't seem to solve. When I get to figure 8, all is well. I have a startup screen with Network Access, Install Files and the Trash. When I open the Install Files however, the setup file called Apple HD SC Setup 7.3.5.sea can't be opened, as "the program which created it cannot be found". Any help here? I'm dying to play old AmbrosiaSW games, and I've been trying to beat this Mac Emulation thing for too many hours with only minor success... Please! :D
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Hmm. Not sure about your problem.

However, please note: SoftMac isn't very good for games because it can't play sound.

You can try using Basilisk II instead:

http://emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup

You'd be much, much better off with that one.
Celtorai
Space Cadet

Post by Celtorai »

Thanks for the tip, friend! :) I have installed Mac OS 8.1, but I don't have internet access (I couldn't get that to work on 7.5.3 or 7.5.5 either: No TCP/IP Control Panel; same problem on 8.1 too) and games don't work. The oldest ones say my monitor doesn't support 256 colors and the others just give me errors of various numbers (error type -3 and type -192). Do you have any clues of what I could do to fix it? And is there any way to make the emulator understand that my settings are at millions of colors, which is way more than 256? I can only find resolution, no colors...
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Hmm. Not sure about what emulator/system configuration you are asking about. If this is in Basilisk II, how about starting a new topic in the Basilisk II folder that includes your system configuration, etc.
Celtorai
Space Cadet

Post by Celtorai »

Oh, crap! Sorry about that. Wasn't thinking. Yes, it's Basilisk II. I'll make a new topic.
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

I have the same "type -" problems as well . Type -192 and type-3 . Anyone knows what they mean? Is there a type error code index somewhere?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The mysterious descriptions of the error codes usually are of not much help:

-3 corErr core routine number out of range

-192 resFNotFound Resource file not found

(I am not sure, but the last one could mean that a file is missing its resource fork. Classic Mac files will loose their resource fork irreversibly and become useless when they are saved on a non-HFS volume, for instance in a Windows or Linux environment.)

Descriptions of error codes in this little application: http://www.tucows.com/preview/207016