BasiliskII for Linux

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Re: BasiliskII for Linux

Post by Sebiohazard »

Hello !

I don't know how to install GTK3 ?! I don't even know what it is for ?

Greetings !
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The configure line you used does not work anymore.

You can configure using this line:
./configure --target-list="ppc-softmmu" --enable-gtk --enable-sdl

Best,
Cat_7
Dagobertus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Dagobertus »

Hello World,

I am trying to run Basilisk-II on ARM64, with an extremly high rez display (2560x1600). MacOS8.1 starts up fine, but both icon and menu font size are so tiny, the Deskop is close to unusable now. I was told to reduce the resolution inside MacOS, as there is no way to enlarge icon or font size. But when I do that the Desktop shrinks to a fraction of my screen's real estate, leaving a dark area all around it.

Is there any B-II for Linux ARM64 version out there that can handle scaling? I'd like to reduce my MacOS virtual rez to maybe half my physical display size and then scale it all up to fill the entire screen.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Is this a recent build from kanjitalk755 source?
Then add to the prefs file the line:

Code: Select all

mag_rate 2
(It will only work on a build from kanjitalk755 source and using any other than the built-in GUI from that build will probably again remove the line.)

(The default behaviour of macOS is doubling the size of everything on a high resolution screen. Apparently Linux does not do that?)
Dagobertus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Dagobertus »

I am runnimg Debian (latest stable build) on Arm64 and installed B-II from the official repo - where those lines do get removed.

kanjitalk755's sources won't compile on ARM64, at least not in my case. config runs through fine, but the compiler throws more error messages than I could list here. :-(

Any chance to get a ready-to-install Debian package for ARM64 of that version?
Dagobertus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Dagobertus »

I finally got it to compile, but this is bizarre. The config run passed with flying colors, yet I always thought that this step was supposed to check for missing software components. Turns out I had to install the SDL development files, for it to compile w/o error. Strangely this wasn't picked up by config at all.

But now I got another problem: When Basilisk-II SDL starts, it takes over the *entire* screen and since I am runnnig this via VNC from a headless setup, I am practically locked out from the underlying Unix system. What is the key combination I can use to switch back to the Linux level?

Also, that ports seems to be CmdLine only - no GUI(?)

PS: SheepSaver still won't compile (ANSI Header Error), but I wasn't after that anyway.
Dagobertus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Dagobertus »

While I am at it: How do I stop Basilisk-II from treating my HD images like supersized floppy disks? Why doesn't it recognize them as ordinary HDs?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Yes SDL2 needs to be installed for compiling. It is mentioned in the build instructions on kanjitalk755/macemu

BasiliskII shouldn't take over the screen by default. Does it opent with the GUI? There you should be able to set whether in will be in window mode or full-screen mode and at which resolution. Start with window mode at low resolution and without mag_rate line in the prefs file. If you want to use mag_rate 2, you will need to set the resolution at less than half your screen's resolution

Yes, disk images are seen inside BasiliskII (and SheepShaver) as (giant) floppy disks. That is how it works in these emulators.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You might have to install the GTK devel packages to get the gui compiled in.
Did configure not end with an overview of functionality available?

Best,
Cat_7
Dagobertus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Dagobertus »

Many thanks for the replies. As soon as I launch B-II a full size borderless SDL window opens, covering *all* the screen. I can't even get the LXPanel to show up anymore. And there were no options and the end of compile. Just tons of warnings (no errors, no thanks to Murphy) and a finished binary. But I'll try again, once I installed all the GTK dev stuff I can find.

One last issue: I am running on Androud via VNC, that means my Windoze keys are both "hard glued" to the cursed Google Assistant. How can I remap my keyboard, to get both Option and Command key working?

PS: Only slirp networking seems to work. Any drawbacks with that?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I am a little puzzled. You are building on arm64. But kanjitalk755 mentions arm64 only for macOS hosts. For Linux builds he mentions only x86/x86_64.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Apparently you have a working BasiliskII, but without the GUI.

Maybe you can post here the content of the .basilisk_ii_prefs file (note the leading dot) that should be in your home directory, so we can see what is going on.
Dagobertus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Dagobertus »

You assume correctly and I think I found the problem. autogen ends with the following config info:

Basilisk II configuration summary
Mac OS X GUI ........................... : no
Mac OS X Sound ......................... : no
SDL support ............................ : video audio
SDL major-version ...................... : 2
BINCUE support ......................... : no
LIBVHD support ......................... : no
VDE support ............................ : no
XFree86 DGA support .................... : no
XFree86 VidMode support ................ : no
fbdev DGA support ...................... : no
Enable video on SEGV signals ........... : yes
ESD sound support ...................... : no
GTK user interface ..................... : no
mon debugger support ................... : no
Running m68k code natively ............. : no
Use JIT compiler ....................... : no
JIT debug mode ......................... : no
Floating-Point emulation core .......... : IEEE fpu core
Assembly optimizations ................. : none
Addressing mode ........................ : direct
Bad memory access recovery type ........ : siginfo

Now my B-II prefs file reads as follows in that section:
screen dga/1536/960

I'll finish the compile and change the settings back to "win" and see if that helps.

BTW: I switched the resolution down to 1536x960, as nobody (here or on the Garden) could point me to a hack to increase font and icon size in MacOS 8.1
Dagobertus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Dagobertus »

Oah, that almost crashed my system. The entire VNC session stopped responding (no MacOS screen to be seen anywhere) and I had to sneak in via a 2nd terminal session to kill that thing. So switching back to "dga" gets me the usual result: Full screen MacOS desktop with no window decorations whatsoever. No resize, no close button, no hide widget. Ah and no program GUI either. ;-O
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

To start with, change that line to

screen win/1024/768
and show us all of the content of the prefs file.

(I don't know where you are, but it is past my bedtime now and tomorrow is a busy day for me.)
Dagobertus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Dagobertus »

Well, changing that to "screen win ..." is what almost crashed my system (blocked my VNC session with an invisible window).

And here goes nothing:

displaycolordepth 24
disk /storage/emulated/0/Basilisk-II/Startup.img
screen dga/1536/960
mag_rate 2
scale_nearest true
seriala /dev/ttyS0
serialb /dev/ttyS1
ether slirp
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
rom /storage/emulated/0/Basilisk-II/ROMs/Quadra700+900+PB140+170_420DBFF3.rom
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 1073741824
frameskip 0
modelid 14
cpu 4
fpu true
nocdrom true
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
jit false
jitfpu false
jitdebug false
jitcachesize 32768
jitlazyflush false
jitinline false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes true
keycodefile /home/batuta/.basilisk_ii_keyboard
mousewheelmode 0
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
idlewait true

Sleep well, sleep tight, do let some bed bugs bite. ;-)
Last edited by Dagobertus on Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dagobertus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Dagobertus »

Ha, I solved it: By setting the resolution to 1280x800 I am able to specify the "win" option and I get an SDL window with propper title bar and hide/close gadgets. And its (magically) scaled to the max VNC screen size (minus title bar). I also got my LXPanels back. Any higher rez than that results in B-II crashing.

Now I got two more dark spots to clean up:
1) I can't get the Option key to work, despite using a keymap file. As I wrote earlier I can't use the Windows Logo keys for that, and would like to use a Function key instead.
2) Right now the slirp interface is the only setting I can get to work in networking. Is that a good choice or should I try another one and which one could that be?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

1. Use the keycodes file in this download and read the included ReadMe: http://ronaldpr.home.xs4all.nl/keycodes ... t_2021.zip
(Make sure to correct the path in prefs to the new keycodes file.)

2. Depends on your needs. slirp will work for accessing the internet. It works as a built-in router. Other possibilities need additional software and are more complex to set up. You can find discussions in the forum about different networking setups.
Dagobertus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Dagobertus »

Thx a lot, that keycode file helped me fix the Option key (I copied the settings from "sdl windows" to "sdl x11"). Off to the playground it is. ;-)
Dagobertus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Dagobertus »

Well, all is not happy in paradise. I used to run on Basilisk-II for Android, which is truly not based on the most recent build by now ;-)
But it ran reasonably stable and most important: I could use even aging MacOS progs like Xtree with it. But now that I am using kanjitalk755's compiled binary, B-II crashes *every* time I call up Xtree, no matter what I put into the config file. I am afraid the same might happen with other System 7 programs and that would limit the usabillity of my MAcOS setup a lot(!)

Any suggestions what to do about it?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Dagobertus wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:29 pm Well, all is not happy in paradise. I used to run on Basilisk-II for Android, which is truly not based on the most recent build by now ;-)
But it ran reasonably stable and most important: I could use even aging MacOS progs like Xtree with it. But now that I am using kanjitalk755's compiled binary, B-II crashes *every* time I call up Xtree, no matter what I put into the config file. I am afraid the same might happen with other System 7 programs and that would limit the usabillity of my MAcOS setup a lot(!)

Any suggestions what to do about it?
Do you have ignore illegal instructions enabled and JIT disabled?
Dagobertus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Dagobertus »

Yes, I put that option in there and disabled everything JIT and was sure it would solve the problem - but it didn't.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Dagobertus wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:38 am Yes, I put that option in there and disabled everything JIT and was sure it would solve the problem - but it didn't.
Which Mac OS version are you running? 7.5.5?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You already had JIT disabled as we can see in the content of your prefs file above.

I do not know if this also applies to Linux, but in macOS one needs to always have "Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses" enabled to prevent common crashes. In prefs:

ignoresegv true
Dagobertus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Dagobertus »

I am running on MacOS 8.1 and I put that ignoresegv option in the prefs file as soon as I encountered that sigsev error - but to no avail.