Standalone SheepShaver for OS X (add ROM and OS 8.5-9.0.4)

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Standalone SheepShaver for OS X (add ROM and OS 8.5-9.0.4)

Post by emendelson »

For the past few months I've been using an elaborate AppleScript application that I put together which contains SheepShaver, a virtual disk, ROM, and all other required files - all in a single application bundle. The whole system is in a single package and uses no files or programs outside the package. I thought it might be worthwhile to create a reduced version (that doesn't do a lot of things I need for my own purposes) which would be convenient for other people to use. So here it is: an AppleScript application bundle called "SheepShaver Wrapper" (rename it anything you like). It should make it easy to get started with SheepShaver.

This system uses the self-contained .sheepvm feature introduced by Mryd some time ago, and described in other threads. But it builds on that feature by enclosing the .sheepvm in a single application bundle that also contains the SheepShaver application and an AppleScript that controls the whole application.

EDIT: This now describes a revised version of the application, posted 3 August 2013.

A separate page about this system can be found here:
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/sheepshaverwrapper.html

Here's how to use it:

1. Download the application bundle from the separate page about the system linked above.

Do not launch the application yet; if you do, it will display a warning that you need to add a ROM file, and SheepShaver will not start.

2. Get a copy of a New World Mac PPC ROM (see the setup guide in the Wiki here for suggestions on how to find it); be certain that the file name is Mac OS ROM and drop it onto the SheepShaver Wrapper. A message will tell you that the file was copied to the correct location.

3. This step assumes that you have a copy of an OS 9 installation CD either on CD or on a disk image. The installation CD must be a retail CD, not one that came with a specific machine. (This procedure should also work with OS 8.5 or later.) Note that when installing, you should NOT format or initialize the virtual hard disk; it is already formatted, and contains a few Apple-supplied updaters for OS 8.6 and 9.0.4 in a disk image .IMG file in a folder named "OS Updaters"; some of these are US-English-language versions; other versions may be available from Apple's web site. (Note: When installing OS 9, I suggest that when you reach the menu that lets you specify which parts of the OS you want to install, click Options and turn OFF the option to Update Apple Hard Disk Drivers. For reasons that I don't understand, the installation may stall when this option is ON.) (If installing OS 8.5, the 8.5 CD may "stall" when booting. Try it again, but hold down the Shift key when SheepShaver starts, in order to turn extensions off. This is not necessary with an OS 8.6 CD.)

a. If you have an actual Mac OS installation CD, mount it on the OS X desktop, and then - after the CD has mounted on the OS X desktop - start the SheepShaver Wrapper application. When the CD boots, you may install OS 9 on the virtual hard disk included in the SheepShaver Wrapper. When you are done, shut down SheepShaver, and eject the CD.

b. If you have a CD image of a Mac OS installation CD, drop the disk image file on the SheepShaver Wrapper. If the image file is in the correct format, and is bootable, and boots to OS 8.5 through 9.0.4, then SheepShaver will boot from the CD image, and you can install the Mac OS to the emulated hard disk. When the installation is complete, either shut down SheepShaver from its own menu, or shut down the emulated Mac OS system in OS 8 or 9 (click "Special" then "Shut down"). When you start the system again, the CD image will NOT be mounted. If you want to boot from the CD image later, drag it to the SheepShaver Wrapper icon. (Note: If the image file that you drop on the SheepShaver Wrapper is not "locked" in the Finder, or is not marked as read-only, the script will offer to lock the file for you; the image file must be "locked" in order to boot correctly.)

4. This procedure will give you a working SheepShaver system, with the "Unix" folder in SheepShaver set to be your Documents folder in OS X. If you want to use a different folder to be the "Unix" folder, then shut down SheepShaver, and turn on Caps Lock by touching the CapsLock key on your keyboard. Follow the prompts to select a folder as your "Unix" folder.

Note that you should not try to change the Unix folder from the SheepShaver -> Preferences dialog, because the application will ignore any change you make there. For complicated reasons, my own system (the one on which this one is based) writes the location of the Unix folder every time the program launches, and I didn't change that method for this reduced version.

5. Some tips and tricks. If you hold down the Command key while launching the SheepShaver Wrapper, it will open in a quasi-full-screen mode. (It will prompt you to ask if you want this to happen.) The dock will be hidden; the OS X top-line menu will not appear until you move the cursor to the top of the screen; the SheepShaver "window" will fill the entire screen. This is different from true full-screen mode in that you can Alt-Tab to other OS X applications. If you want to go back to windowed mode, hold down the Option key when launching the SheepShaver Wrapper. (It will prompt you to ask if you want to go back to ordinary windowed mode.) This quasi-full-screen feature requires that "Access for Assistive Devices" be turned on in your OS X system; if "Access for Assistive Devices" is not already turned on, you will be prompted to let the script turn it on for you. (You will be prompted by OS X for a password. As you can see by reading the AppleScript, the script itself does NOT get any access to your password.)

By default, the application opens with a window size of 896 x 672. If you know how to edit AppleScript, you can open the application in the AppleScript Editor (ignore the warning message about the application not being scriptable), and change a clearly-explained option near the top of the script, so that the application will instead calculate its initial window size as a proportion of your actual monitor size. Also, you can change the window size at any time by using the SheepShaver Preferences dialog, and then shutting down and restarting the application. Or (if you know what you are doing) you can edit the AppleScript in the SheepShaver Wrapper to change the default window size, then hold down Option when starting the SheepShaver Wrapper in order for the new default setting to take hold. (The PowerBook G3 series used 800 x600 or 1024 x 768.)

The virtual hard disk in the system is a 2GB "sparse bundle" disk image. If that is not large enough for your purposes, create a second disk, using the procedures described in the wiki on this site; or use the SheepShaver preferences to add the (unformatted) Backup disk already included in the package but not mounted on the desktop.

If you want a standalone SheepShaver setup (in other words, one application that contains the program, virtual disk, and other files), but you already have a virtual hard disk file that you use now with a separate copy of SheepShaver, you can use your existing hard disk image file with this standalone system. To do this, ctrl-click the application; choose Show Package Contents; go to Contents, Resources, Files, and ctrl-click MacOS.sheepvm, and again choose Show Package Contents. Copy your hard disk image file into the same folder with the ROM file; delete the existing SheepShaver2GB.sparsebundle file. Start up the SheepShaver Wrapper; it will begin with the disk icon on a blank desktop; open the SheepShaver Preferences, using the technique described in step 3-a below, and remove the SheepShaver2GB.sparsebundle from the list of disks, and add your formatted disk. If you do this, you won't need to install a fresh copy of OS 9.

This system contains Ronald's 26-July-2013 SheepShaver build. The current version is code-signed for use with Mountain Lion's Gatekeeper security feature.

I spent quite a bit of time putting this together for my own system. I hope someone else might find it useful. The AppleScript in the application bundle got put together over a long period, and the coding is very messy and inefficient, but it seems to work. Any improvements to the AppleScript code will of course be welcome.
Last edited by Cat_7 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 29 times in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Standalone SheepShaver for OS X (add ROM and OS 9)

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Interesting package. Basic functionality would be available with the .sheepvm package only. As far as I can see, the script adds auto configuration of the shared folder and auto setting of the "quasi" fullscreen mode and back again to a default window size.

Though problems appear to be rare with current builds of SheepShaver, I usually advise not to use a folder like the Documents folder as shared folder. The script could create a "SheepShaver shared" folder in an appropriate location and use that folder as shared folder.

I like the automatic "quasi" full-screen mode setting. For several reasons that mode is preferable to the "real" full-screen mode and the script makes it very easy to use. However, I am now stuck in that mode because launching with option key pressed does not work here as you describe.

Not sure it is a good idea to provide all those extra software already on the disk image. Several are English versions of software of which my Dutch OS9 install CD installs the Dutch version.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Thank for catching the mistake that caused the Option key not to work. When I cleaned up the AppleScript, I put an "end if" in the wrong place. Current version fixes that.

The current version also lets you drop a "Mac OS ROM" file on the application, and the file will go into the right place. That should help some people.

I've also put all the freeware utilities into a single folder called "Additional Software" (or something like that). You're right that many people will already have versions of it, but I thought it might be useful to someone.

Yes, you are completely right that my application does not add very much to what any expert user can do with a .sheepvm file. The main point was to make SheepShaver easier to use for the non-expert user who has trouble following the clear directions in the wiki. And the window-size controls are a bonus. (The much more elaborate version of the script that I use with WordPerfect does a few more things - for example, it can automatically set up printer sharing in OS X and then runs an AppleScript that creates a matching desktop printer in SheepShaver. In other words, it automatically performs all the steps described in the Printing in OS X thread - and it also sets up a PDF "printer" using CUPS-PDF in OS X. But that didn't seem suitable for this script, though I might add it if anyone thinks it's worthwhile.)

Please download the new version. It will fix the mistake I made about the Option key.

EDIT: About the location of the Unix folder. This script is a reduced version of a very elaborate one that I've created for WordPerfect for the Mac and which I've made available elsewhere. A few people have asked for the ability to put the Unix folder wherever they like - not in a location that I chose for them. I suppose you are right that it is potentially dangerous to use the Documents folder; I may change the script to remove the buttons that offer Documents and Home. Meanwhile, anyone who reads this thread will see your warning.
Last edited by emendelson on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpmyst
Space Cadet

Post by jpmyst »

I followed the procedure outlined in the document "Setting up SheepSaver for Mac OS X" but I haven't been able to get SheepShaver for OS X to start so I tried your standalone procedure to see if I could have better success. Unfortunately, I got the identical results in both cases: the SheepShaver emulator starts, the floppy disk icon appears with the flashing ? but there is no activity on the DVD drive even though I am using a store bought OS 9.0 CD mounted in the DVD drive before I start the emulator. I am using a 17" Macbook PRO running OS 10.6.8 I am guessing that the emulator is not looking at the DVD player in the Macbook because the player is inactive. I haven't changed any of your settings in the SheepShaver preferences. I am using "Mac OS ROM Update 1.0" from the Apple website which I processed using TomeViewer on a G4 Tower using the instructions: http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepS ... ow_to.html

There must be something I am missing?? Do you have any suggestions? I am impressed by your work to simplify the installation of SheepShaver as, indeed, the installation process can be daunting even for someone like me who has been using a Mac for more than 20 years.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

When you insert the CD in the drive, after a few seconds, the CD should be "mounted" on the OS X desktop, and a CD-like icon should appear on the OS X desktop. After - and ONLY after - that icon appears, launch the SheepShaver Wrapper. You say that the disk is "mounted" in the drive - but is it also mounted on the OS X desktop. If the icon does NOT appear, then something is wrong with the CD or the drive, and you need either a different CD or a different drive.

If you can't use the CD itself in SheepShaver, then use Disk Utility to create an image of it; make sure to choose the "DVD/CD Master" option for the disk format. Lock the image file after it is created. Add the image file to the SheepShaver preferences as described above in step 3.
Last edited by emendelson on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpmyst
Space Cadet

Post by jpmyst »

Thank you for replying so quickly. The DVD player does work and the OS 9.0 CD is mounted on the desktop and your solution to make a Disk image worked. I suspect that SheepShaver does not have the appropriate driver to run the DVD player in my Macbook Pro and that is why the drive was silent when I started the product earlier.

Now that that SheepShavers starts and the OS 9.0 installation begins the installer says that "This disk is unreadable by this Computer . Do you want to initialize the disk?" with a choice of either Initializing or Ejecting with the option to initialize an untitled drive with format Mac OS Standard 803.9 MB. Questions like this make me nervous so could you confirm that the drive in question is SheepShaver512.dsk, the disk listed in your preferences and why the system is trying to initialize a 803mb disk?

Also, I noticed that now I don't have access to the applications folder anymore though I am administrator. Is it possible that your package changes access privileges?

I am looking forward to hearing from you again?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I used the application to succesfully install Mac OS 8.5 on the provided disk. So far, everything seems OK.

However, in Lion, using the option key to run "full screen" provides a dialogue box behind the SheepShaver window that says that access for assistive devices is disabled. Options are OK or Edit. This seems undesirable behaviour ;-) (Choosing Edit leads to script editor opning the script.)

The command key works to get back to windowed operation.

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I think we should try the SheepShaver Wrapper with caution until it has been tested thoroughly by more people on more different Macs. It was posted here for the first time by emendelson only hours ago.
jpmyst wrote:Thank you for replying so quickly. The DVD player does work and the OS 9.0 CD is mounted on the desktop and your solution to make a Disk image worked. I suspect that SheepShaver does not have the appropriate driver to run the DVD player in my Macbook Pro and that is why the drive was silent when I started the product earlier.
It is strange that the CD does not work in SheepShaver. It should work with the regular setup.

@ emendelson:
The CD may not work with the Wrapper because its default setting for the cdrom is /dev/disk2 which may not work on all machines. The setting should best be /dev/poll/cdrom
Edit: Maybe it is something the 25-10-2009 SS build does. I will have a look at that.
Now that that SheepShavers starts and the OS 9.0 installation begins the installer says that "This disk is unreadable by this Computer . Do you want to initialize the disk?" with a choice of either Initializing or Ejecting with the option to initialize an untitled drive with format Mac OS Standard 803.9 MB.
The included disk image should already be initialized. I will try the revised version that emendelson posted and see what happens when I start a new installation. It could be that the included "HD" image is not initialized correctly.
Also, I noticed that now I don't have access to the applications folder anymore though I am administrator. Is it possible that your package changes access privileges?
That certainly should not happen. Try to use Disk Utility to repair disk permissions on your hard drive.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason:  
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

jpmyst wrote:Now that that SheepShavers starts and the OS 9.0 installation begins the installer says that "This disk is unreadable by this Computer . Do you want to initialize the disk?" with a choice of either Initializing or Ejecting with the option to initialize an untitled drive with format Mac OS Standard 803.9 MB.
I do not know what this "disk" is. The included disk image is smaller and already correctly initialized and it cannot be the CD image, because you used it to startup from. Are you sure you have only these two files in the volumes list in preferences?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

emendelson wrote:Thank for catching the mistake that caused the Option key not to work. When I cleaned up the AppleScript, I put an "end if" in the wrong place. Current version fixes that.
Yes, the option key now works
The current version also lets you drop a "Mac OS ROM" file on the application, and the file will go into the right place. That should help some people.
Copying the Mac OS ROM file by dropping it on the application works fine.
I've also put all the freeware utilities into a single folder called "Additional Software" (or something like that). You're right that many people will already have versions of it, but I thought it might be useful to someone.
I am still not too happy about that. Some files may conflict with files installed with a OS installation. If you want to add them, better put them in a .sit archive. It is confusing and annoying when files open in the 'wrong' application. It reminds me of the times when all kinds of software were accompanied with various versions of TeachText/SimpleText and you had to search your HD for yet another uninvited TeachText/SimpleText application to be deleted. (BTW: Many of the added files are not freeware, though some may have been abandoned.)
Yes, you are completely right that my application does not add very much to what any expert user can do with a .sheepvm file. The main point was to make SheepShaver easier to use for the non-expert user who has trouble following the clear directions in the wiki. And the window-size controls are a bonus.
A pre-configured .sheepvm would be just as easy for a non-expert user. The automatic 'quasi' full-screen mode is what makes this Wrapper special.

About the included SheepShaver:
Could it be a version that you downloaded around the time it was posted in October 2009? Judging by the Info.plist file, it is not the final 25 October 2009 build.

About cdrom setting:
In this prefs file it is blank. It works on my iMac. Not sure it will work everywhere. The preferred setting is:

Code: Select all

cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
When I do a fresh setup with the 25 October 2009 build, that is what I get.

About default window size:
Any reason why you chose this (unusual) size of 896x672 ?

About "full-screen" window size:
On my 1680x1050 screen, the window size in the prefs is set to 1680x1529. The MacOS cannot handle odd numbers for screen resolution and changes the window height to 1530. Indeed, when looking closely, I can see that the bottom 1 pixel row of the window is hidden below the bottom of my screen. I suppose there is no solution for that, 1530 is one pixel too much and 1528 will be one pixel too little.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Cat_7 wrote:However, in Lion, using the option key to run "full screen" provides a dialogue box behind the SheepShaver window that says that access for assistive devices is disabled. Options are OK or Edit. This seems undesirable behaviour ;-) (Choosing Edit leads to script editor opning the script.)
Could this be the result of new security measures in Lion?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Could be, it doesn't appear when starting a normal SheepShaver version with the command key pressed.
(btw, I tested the latest version, not the first one).

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Holding the command key or option key while launching SheepShaver Wrapper will not only make the included script change SheepShaver settings, but it will also change settings in OSX for the menu bar and the Dock. It could well be that this kind of manipulation is blocked in Lion by default.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

It's not blocked, the "full screen" option works, and also the return to windowed operation. It it just the message, which can be discarded without noticable repercussions for SheepShaver. I haven't looked for assistive devices (whatever that might be) that would be disabled.
The feature called 'Enable access for assistive devices' is found in the Universal Access preference pane. It needs to be enabled in order for any GUI AppleScripts to run. From: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 3225241914
It seems that enabling "assistive devices" in the universal access prefs pane makes the dialogue not appear.

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Ah, I see. I enabled access for assisted devices in System Preferences > Universal Access years ago. The option is needed for several utilities I use. I forgot all about it.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Cat_7 wrote:However, in Lion, using the option key to run "full screen" provides a dialogue box behind the SheepShaver window that says that access for assistive devices is disabled. Options are OK or Edit. This seems undesirable behaviour ;-) (Choosing Edit leads to script editor opning the script.)
Thank you for catching this! I had forgotten that Access for Assisted Devices needs to be enabled. My full version of the script includes a routine that offers to turn on that option for you. I will add it to the script for this version and will post a notice here that the new version is available.

I see that this mistake also messes up the setting in the SheepShaver plist file that determines whether the top-line menu and dock are shown. Until I fix this in the script, could you kindly turn on Access for Assisted Devices in your system, then start the Wrapper with the Command key pressed down, then exit, and start it again with the Option key pressed down, and that will temporarily solve the problem. (EDIT: The version currently available for download does NOT have this problem.)
Last edited by emendelson on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I am still not too happy about that [the freeware/abandonware files]. Some files may conflict with files installed with a OS installation. If you want to add them, better put them in a .sit archive. It is confusing and annoying when files open in the 'wrong' application. It reminds me of the times when all kinds of software were accompanied with various versions of TeachText/SimpleText and you had to search your HD for yet another uninvited TeachText/SimpleText application to be deleted. (BTW: Many of the added files are not freeware, though some may have been abandoned.)
You have convinced me. I'll put them on an IMG file or something similar.
A pre-configured .sheepvm would be just as easy for a non-expert user. The automatic 'quasi' full-screen mode is what makes this Wrapper special.

I also like the menu-driven selection of the Unix folder - a step that (as you know) causes difficulty for many beginners. But of course no one needs to use this system if they don't want to. I would be very happy if someone provided a pre-built VM as an alternative, but no one has done so!
About the included SheepShaver: Could it be a version that you downloaded around the time it was posted in October 2009? Judging by the Info.plist file, it is not the final 25 October 2009 build.
I use a custom Info.plist file which I may not have updated correctly. The Unix executable is (I hope, anyway) your build, which I downloaded two days ago.
About cdrom setting: In this prefs file it is blank. It works on my iMac. Not sure it will work everywhere. The preferred setting is:

Code: Select all

cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
I did not know about this setting. Thank you again. I have fixed it in the version which I will post later.
About default window size: Any reason why you chose this (unusual) size of 896x672?
This setup was originally designed for WordPerfect, and that size produces a window that opens a full US-Letter page view in WordPerfect using the settings that I use in my system. It also fits on any recent Mac. If you can suggest a better size, I will be glad to change it. You might try experimenting with the setting in the AppleScript that forces the script to calculate the size as a proportion of your screen size.
About "full-screen" window size: On my 1680x1050 screen, the window size in the prefs is set to 1680x1529. The MacOS cannot handle odd numbers for screen resolution and changes the window height to 1530. Indeed, when looking closely, I can see that the bottom 1 pixel row of the window is hidden below the bottom of my screen. I suppose there is no solution for that, 1530 is one pixel too much and 1528 will be one pixel too little.
I believe the height of the menubar is 21 pixels (that may be wrong, but that's what I've seen quoted), so I subtract 21 pixels from the vertical size of the current monitor, and use the resulting number as the vertical height. If I need to change this, I will happily do so.
Last edited by emendelson on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I've now posted a new version of the SheepShaver Wrapper (same download link as in the first post). It includes these changes:

1. If you use the option that switches to quasi-full-screen mode (by holding down Command when launching the SheepShaver Wrapper), and if Access for Assistive Devices is NOT turned on in your OS X system, the SheepShaver Wrapper will offer to turn it on for you. That will avoid the problems noted by Cat_7.

2. I've changed the prefs so that cdrom is specified as /dev/poll/cdrom as suggested by Ronald. I have not tested this, but I hope it may clear up some problems with access to CDs.

3. I've moved all the "Additional Software" to an .IMG file. That way the Finder will not get confused by finding the wrong version on your disk, but the software is available if you want it. As Ronald says, some of it is abandonware, not freeware, but I don't think anyone's copyright is violated, because, in the non-freeware applications, you still need to select "Use Trial Version" or "Enter Registration Code" when you start the application.

Also, I've got the download size back down to 25 MB. I'm sure there will still be some remaining problems, but I hope this version gets rid of the worst ones.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

jpmyst wrote:Now that that SheepShavers starts and the OS 9.0 installation begins the installer says that "This disk is unreadable by this Computer . Do you want to initialize the disk?" with a choice of either Initializing or Ejecting with the option to initialize an untitled drive with format Mac OS Standard 803.9 MB. Questions like this make me nervous so could you confirm that the drive in question is SheepShaver512.dsk, the disk listed in your preferences and why the system is trying to initialize a 803mb disk?
I have no idea why that message appears. It definitely should not appear. Do NOT answer Yes. I suggest that you download the latest version and start over. Do not reuse anything that you used before. Also, make sure that the disk image file that you made from the OS 9 installation CD is locked in the Finder. (Use Command-I or Get Info for the image file, then under General, add checkmark next to Locked.) If you have already used the image file without locking it, delete the image file and create another. (This may not be necessary, but it can't hurt.) Also, make sure that you are following the instructions exactly, and that you have not done anything that the instructions did not explicitly tell you to do. No matter how reasonable or obvious it might seem to do something else, do NOT do it. Follow the instructions exactly.
It is physically impossible for my AppleScript to have any effect at all on your access to any folder. There is absolutely nothing in the script that affects these things.

I suggest (1) that you restart your computer and see if that fixes anything and (2) that you run a maintenance utility like Yasu (search the web for it) and (3) if you still have problems, it is time to reinstall OS X. Something seems to be seriously wrong with your system, and we are not capable of solving it in a forum about Mac emulation.
Last edited by emendelson on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

emendelson wrote:1. If you use the option that switches to quasi-full-screen mode (by holding down Command when launching the SheepShaver Wrapper), and if Access for Assistive Devices is NOT turned on in your OS X system, the SheepShaver Wrapper will offer to turn it on for you. That will avoid the problems noted by Cat_7.
Works here as intended

I cannot change the window size in SheepShaver preferences anymore. In your previous version I could, but not after using the 'quasi' full-screen mode.
I also like the menu-driven selection of the Unix folder - a step that (as you know) causes difficulty for many beginners.
I don't know when you last set up a regular version of SheepShaver, but I don't think that the procedure (in SheepShaver preferences click Browse, go to the shared folder, click Open and click Save) is more complicated than the procedure with SheepShaver Wrapper that includes changing the name of the application.
I would be very happy if someone provided a pre-built VM as an alternative, but no one has done so!
How about this one. It is a stripped down version of a more complete version that includes a 9.0.4 install disk image and rom file that I sometimes give to people but that I do not dare to post here because of the included rom and installer. http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... achine.zip

A copy of SheepShaver needs to be installed on your Mac, does not matter where, and a "Mac OS ROM" file needs to be added to the package. The included 2GB disk image needs to be initialized at first startup.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:I cannot change the window size in SheepShaver preferences anymore. In your previous version I could, but not after using the 'quasi' full-screen mode.
Some variables seem to have got "stuck" in the AppleScript. I've seen this happen before. One way to fix it is to open the application in the AppleScript editor, click Compile, and save it again. I've posted another version in which I've recompiled the whole AppleScript; it may or may not fix the problem. But AppleScript seems to suffer from bugs like this, especially in large scripts.

By the way, I haven't looked back at my AppleScript (some of it two years old or more), but I think I don't let you change the window size when using quasi-full-screen mode. I do let you change the window size when you are in normal windowed mode, and the problem you found was the result of an AppleScript bug which I hope is now fixed, simply by recompiling the script file.
I don't know when you last set up a regular version of SheepShaver, but I don't think that the procedure (in SheepShaver preferences click Browse, go to the shared folder, click Open and click Save) is more complicated than the procedure with SheepShaver Wrapper that includes changing the name of the application.
I maintain another website with a lot of script-based software that I've written for Windows and OS X. I find that even something as simple as you describe is beyond the capabilities of many people. They can't find the right menu item; they don't click Save. They are terrified by the message that invites them to initialize a disk and worry that they will lose their OS X system. Or they press Enter instead of clicking "Initialize" and wonder why they don't get a hard disk to use, because the default is to Cancel, not Initialize. And much, much more. I always try to reduce the number of ways in which a user can get things wrong or be frightened about the effects of any action. I think this forum is fortunate in attracting competent users. On my own site, I had to waste a lot of time answering questions from people who could not follow instructions, so I rewrote my software so that, as much as possible, the user did not have to do anything at all.
How about this one. It is a stripped down version of a more complete version that includes a 9.0.4 install disk image and rom file that I sometimes give to people but that I do not dare to post here because of the included rom and installer. http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... achine.zip

A copy of SheepShaver needs to be installed on your Mac, does not matter where, and a "Mac OS ROM" file needs to be added to the package. The included 2GB disk image needs to be initialized at first startup.
That is excellent! It is all that minimally-competent users will need. I hope you will start a separate thread about it. Again, my system is designed to make things easier for more-or-less incompetent users - and it has the advantage of being completely self-contained. You do not need to install a separate copy of SheepShaver anywhere on your disk. Absolutely everything is inside the application bundle.

I think this has almost reached the point where there is almost nothing more that I can do to help non-technical users who get confused about having files in different places, etc.

Actually, there is one more thing I intend to do, and that is this: in the next few days, I will revise the AppleScript so that it tests the file size of the user's Mac OS ROM file against a list of file sizes of ROM files that are known to work with SheepShaver. If the size of the dropped file does not match one of those known sizes, I will copy the file to the right location, but I will display a warning that it is possible - only possible, not certain - that the ROM file might cause problems.

Thank you again for all the close attention you paid to this. The application is much more robust and useful, thanks to your help.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I've now posted a revised version that tests whether the ROM file size is one that I know will work with SheepShaver and OS 8.6 or later. If the ROM file is not one of the sizes that I recognize, it will display a warning, but it will copy the ROM file into the correct location (unless, of course, the user clicks Cancel).

The ROM file sizes that I know will work are these:

If anyone knows any other ROM file sizes that will work with SheepShaver and OS 8.6+, please let me know, and I'll add them to the AppleScript.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

When I launch the latest version I get a window asking "Where is WPMacApp.app" while at the same moment the menu bar shows that WPMacApp is running. When I click Cancel, SheepShaver starts.

Sometimes I now also get this message right in front of the already opened VM:
The document "MacOS.sheepvm" could not be opened. SheepShaver cannot open files in the "SheepShaver VM" format.

As before, I can change the window size in preferences as long as I have not yet used the quasi full-screen mode. After using that mode and again returning to the default window size, I am stuck with that default window size. The window size cannot be changed in preferences anymore.
emendelson wrote:
I maintain another website with a lot of script-based software that I've written for Windows and OS X. I find that even something as simple as you describe is beyond the capabilities of many people.
I am sure that there are people who do not know how to use Open and Save dialogs, but they could better first start to learn computer basics before trying something like emulator software. I tried to be mildly ironic, but in this specific case, setting the path to a shared folder, SheepShaver Wrapper is definitely more complex than the regular SheepShaver Preferences. Considering that Home folder or Documents folder should not be used, one needs to use a Open dialog just like in the preferences. Changing the name of a file is not something an average user will readily do. Many will not even know how to do that.

I like the SheepShaver Wrapper for the easy way it can be set to this quasi full-screen mode, although I myself never use SheepShaver (or BasiliskII) full-screen. But otherwise I do see little advantages over the regular SheepShaver versions. A simple pre-configured VM could be helpful for some, though.

Regrettably we cannot publish the click-through solution I have here on my Mac because of the EULAs.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Holding the command key or option key while launching SheepShaver Wrapper will not only make the included script change SheepShaver settings, but it will also change settings in OSX for the menu bar and the Dock. It could well be that this kind of manipulation is blocked in Lion by default.
This is not correct. The SheepShaver Wrapper does not - repeat NOT - change any OS X settings for the Menu or Dock.

It's important to clarify this: The settings in OS X are absolutely one-hundred percent NOT changed by my script. My script ONLY changes a settings in the info.plist for the copy of SheepShaver that is included in the SheepShaver Wrapper. Nothing else in OS X is affected in any way whatever.

What my script does is automate this procedure:

http://www.macworld.com/article/55321/2 ... nubar.html

(This is also documented in many other places. This is simply the first one I found in a web search)

As you can see by reading the linked article, and by looking at my AppleScript the affected settings are changed ONLY for the copy of SheepShaver in the SheepShaver Wrapper and only while the copy of SheepShaver that is inside the SheepShaver wrapper is running. The moment you shut down SheepShaver, your standard settings for the menu and dock are restored.

I want to emphasize this, because I don't want anyone to think that the SheepShaver Wrapper changes any OS X settings. It does, of course, prompt you to turn on Access for Assistive Devices, but it prompts you for approval first, and it is absolutely not necessary to do do unless you want to use the quasi-full-screen feature.
Last edited by emendelson on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:When I launch the latest version I get a window asking "Where is WPMacApp.app" while at the same moment the menu bar shows that WPMacApp is running. When I click Cancel, SheepShaver starts.

Sometimes I now also get this message right in front of the already opened VM:
The document "MacOS.sheepvm" could not be opened. SheepShaver cannot open files in the "SheepShaver VM" format.

As before, I can change the window size in preferences as long as I have not yet used the quasi full-screen mode. After using that mode and again returning to the default window size, I am stuck with that default window size. The window size cannot be changed in preferences anymore.
This is the effect of a long-standing bug in AppleScript. A variable set as a property seems not to get reset no matter how often you run the script. I've changed the script in order to work around the problem. I've also (I hope) fixed the problem with the error messages you saw earlier. That was the result of my trying to mix parts of two different application bundles. I should know better.
Last edited by emendelson on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.