Standalone SheepShaver for OS X (add ROM and OS 8.5-9.0.4)

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Standalone SheepShaver for OS X (add ROM and OS 8.5-9.0.

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
emendelson wrote:unfortunately, the current version of SheepShaver doesn't let you select a sparsebundle as a disk from the prefs menu. It treats it as a folder.
Wasn't this solved in the source I used for my latest test build? http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=8021
Apparently not, unfortunately. I'm trying the build dated 20130510, which seems to be the latest. But maybe there's a later one?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Ah, yes, you are right. I remember vasi promising to correct the issue, but he has not yet done it.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

adespoton wrote:Any chance you could update your wrapper to use this build:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=8021
and replace the fixed disk image with a 2gb sparse bundle? End result: smaller wrapper size by default, better integration with Time Machine, and larger potential capacity. Don't go past 2gb, or you'll run into potential HFS issues, depending on OS installed.
Following your suggestion, I've updated this system to use a 2GB sparse bundle; as in the original version of the system, it's been formatted, and contains a folder with an IMG file with some OS updates for convenience. I've also included a blank 2GB sparse bundle in the system that is NOT listed in the prefs, but can be added via the preferences dialog in case anyone needs to replace the existing disk.

Thanks again for suggesting this. Sooner or later, I'll update the page with instructions (see the first message in the thread) to reflect the change: 2GB disk instead of 512MB, and a blank disk for use if needed.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I've now updated this with the latest forum build of SheepShaver (2014). Everything else is the same.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I don't seem to be able to edit the initial post in this thread, but I should point out that the download address for the SheepShaver Wrapper is now:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8x4sci3h5ctl1 ... r.zip?dl=1

I had to change the address because DropBox is eliminating its Public Folder feature and all addresses in public folders will become invalid later this year.

The web page about the SheepShaver Wrapper remains:

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/sheepshaverwrapper.html

Admins: Could you possibly correct the link in the first post? Thanks!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Done, thank you.

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Holiday greetings to all. The SheepShaver Wrapper is now updated with to include the latest cebix/macemu SheepShaver code (built this morning); and the AppleScript launcher has been updated for the Sierra/High Sierra era (the quasi-full-screen feature won't work these days.) Also I've finally made 1024X768 the default window size. My old white MacBook isn't really relevant these days.

Same information address:

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/sheepshaverwrapper.html

Same download link as in the post two messages up from this one.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Now updated with a SheepShaver build based on kanjitalk755's 64-bit-compatible code. Same download page.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Current download of the SheepShaver Wrapper (using a build based on kanjitalk755's 64-bit code (as of 8 June 2018) is now here:

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/SheepShaverWrapper.zip
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

And this now uses kanjitalk755's 64-bit/SDL2 code, so it should be fully up-to-date and should keep running under Mojave and beyond.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

Is there an easy way to force these standalone apps to open by default in true (not quasi) full screen mode?

I have looked in the script inside the wrapper and it is not obvious to me what I would need to edit. I only see options to change the default windowed resolution.

Editing the SheepShaver prefs files inside the wrapper (i.e. changing win/1024/768 to dga/1024/768) or using the control-return key combination has no effect.

If I use the set screen size option when starting the app, I am getting an error message: "The variable resolution is not defined (-2753)".

I am using macOS 10.13.6.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Does this excerpt from our guide help at all?
Running in full-screen mode

SheepShaver can be set to run full-screen in the Audio / Video tab in preferences by setting “Video Type” to “Fullscreen”. The resolution settings (Width and Height) will be respected and will fill the available screen maximally while retaining proportions. On a modern high-resolution wide-screen monitor, a 1024×769 resolution will be thus be shown with black bars at the left and right sides of the screen. With the resolution set to “Maximum”, the native resolution of the screen will be used.

While SheepShaver is running full-screen, the Mac OS X environment cannot be accessed. That includes the Mac OS X menu bar and thus SheepShaver preferences. If you want to make changes to SheepShaver preferences you need to go back to running SheepShaver in window mode.

The latest SheepShaver build makes that easy with a new feature: fullscreen/window mode toggle by pressing Control-Return.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

almeath wrote:Is there an easy way to force these standalone apps to open by default in true (not quasi) full screen mode?

I have looked in the script inside the wrapper and it is not obvious to me what I would need to edit. I only see options to change the default windowed resolution.

Editing the SheepShaver prefs files inside the wrapper (i.e. changing win/1024/768 to dga/1024/768) or using the control-return key combination has no effect.

If I use the set screen size option when starting the app, I am getting an error message: "The variable resolution is not defined (-2753)".

I am using macOS 10.13.6.
You seem to be referring to my MacOS9 app. There's a typo in the code that causes the error you saw, and some of the screen options are left over from an older app I wrote and won't work. I'm working on fixing it now. Will post when it's ready.

@Cat_7 - the app being asked about doesn't use the preferences tab; the AppleScript wrapper writes the prefs on startup.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

almeath wrote:Is there an easy way to force these standalone apps to open by default in true (not quasi) full screen mode?

Thank you for catching these problems, which I should have solved long ago (but I don't actually use this system, so I only hear about problems when other people report them).

I've fixed the typo that caused the error message, and I've finally got true-full-screen working. Hold down the Option key when launching the app, and follow the prompts. Same download page and download link as before

The download page for this app explains (now that I've edited it) that the custom build of SheepShaver that I use toggles between full-screen and windowed mode with Ctrl-Option-Enter, NOT Ctrl-Enter. I changed this because I use applications that use the Ctrl-Enter key combination, and the original SheepShaver assignment gets in the way. If you click on About Mac OS 9 on the top-line host menu, you'll get a list of key-assignments.

EDIT: Download page has been updated with the key-assignment.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

emendelson wrote: Thank you for catching these problems, which I should have solved long ago (but I don't actually use this system, so I only hear about problems when other people report them).

I've fixed the typo that caused the error message, and I've finally got true-full-screen working. Hold down the Option key when launching the app, and follow the prompts. Same download page and download link as before
Works perfectly now. Thanks for your quick response on this, and for all your work on the wrappers to date.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

I have tried downloading and running the System 7 app, which I presume is using Basilisk II.

This app does not start at all when double clicked, with no error message or anything to go on.

However, when I hold down the option key I still get the options menu coming up. It is just that setting different options in there has no effect on the app not starting.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

almeath wrote:I have tried downloading and running the System 7 app, which I presume is using Basilisk II.

This app does not start at all when double clicked, with no error message or anything to go on.

However, when I hold down the option key I still get the options menu coming up. It is just that setting different options in there has no effect on the app not starting.
If you mean System761.zip, it certainly works here - though I had to move it from the Downloads folder first. Maybe try downloading again?

If it still doesn't work, it's possible it works only on my system. I tried it on another system a couple of months ago and it worked, and, if it won't work on your system, I'll try it on another system when I have access to one later this month.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I found some slight changes that I wanted to make in the System761 app, and uploaded a new version a few minutes ago. You might try downloading again to see if this version works in your system. I changed only one or two lines of the AppleScript, but that might have fixed whatever was wrong.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

emendelson wrote:I found some slight changes that I wanted to make in the System761 app, and uploaded a new version a few minutes ago. You might try downloading again to see if this version works in your system. I changed only one or two lines of the AppleScript, but that might have fixed whatever was wrong.
Unfortunately, it is still not working for me under macOS 10.13.6. I will try it on my MacBook with 10.11 and see how it goes.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

almeath wrote:Unfortunately, it is still not working for me under macOS 10.13.6. I will try it on my MacBook with 10.11 and see how it goes.
Strange. Works perfectly in a friend's 10.3.6 system, and in my copy of the Mojave beta, and of course in my own 10.3.6 system.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

emendelson wrote: Strange. Works perfectly in a friend's 10.3.6 system, and in my copy of the Mojave beta, and of course in my own 10.3.6 system.
I created a fresh user account under 10.13.6. In that account, when I start the System 7 app I see the follow error message come up:

"cp:/Users/test/Desktop/System761.app/Contents/Resources/Files/org.wpdos.sys761folder.plist: Permission denied"
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

I have encountered another problem with the MacOS 9 app.

When I dragged an ISO CD image onto the app and selected the prompts to copy it into the app bundle as a secondary disk, I received the following error:

"The variable tempPath is not defined. (-2753)"

I then looked inside the app and it appears to have created a secondary disk image, but having converted the ISO to DSK format. It also does not show up on the desktop when starting MacOS 9.

I was expecting to see this result in a CD-ROM image on the desktop.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

almeath wrote:I have encountered another problem with the MacOS 9 app.

When I dragged an ISO CD image onto the app and selected the prompts to copy it into the app bundle as a secondary disk, I received the following error:

"The variable tempPath is not defined. (-2753)"
Another good catch. That feature only works when the system is NOT running. (Actually, it says on the download page: "To add or replace a disk image with this system, shut down the the Mac OS 9 app and drop a disk image on its icon.")

I've updated the code so that it warns you if you try to do this while the system is running, because I can't expect everyone to memorize the download page. The version with the warning is being uploaded now, and should be available about 30 minutes after this message is posted. But there's no need to wait for it - just try again with the system shut down.

Also, the code doesn't convert anything or rename anything. It simply adds the filename/path of the image to the prefs file (and optionally copies the image, without renaming it, into the bundle). There's an undocumented "emergency.dsk" image in the bundle but it's there for me to use for making repairs, etc. to the main disk when needed.

Feel free to read the AppleScript to see exactly what it does.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

emendelson wrote:
almeath wrote: Another good catch. That feature only works when the system is NOT running. (Actually, it says on the download page: "To add or replace a disk image with this system, shut down the the Mac OS 9 app and drop a disk image on its icon.")

I've updated the code so that it warns you if you try to do this while the system is running, because I can't expect everyone to memorize the download page. The version with the warning is being uploaded now, and should be available about 30 minutes after this message is posted. But there's no need to wait for it - just try again with the system shut down.

Feel free to read the AppleScript to see exactly what it does.
Actually, I was already dropping the ISO image on the app when it was shut down. To provide the full sequence:

1. Dragging the ISO onto the app brings up the first prompt, to which I select "Keep existing and add new".

2. The second prompt comes up, to which I select "Copy disk to app".

3. The next prompt tells me to wait for it to import, but is then interrupted by the error "The variable temp path is not defined":

http://userweb.eftel.com/~almeath/mac/error1.jpg

Before importing the ISO I looked inside the app package and I could see the Emergency.dsk and MacOS9.sparsebundle files. After the above import attempt, I go back to the same folder and see a new file that was not there before, called "SecondDisk.dsk". The file size exactly matches the file size of the ISO image I tried to import:

http://userweb.eftel.com/~almeath/mac/contents.jpg

So this seems to indicate that the import is partially successful, but it converted the ISO to DSK format following the error message. As before, the CD/ISO image does not show up on the desktop when I subsequently boot into MacOS 9.

If it helps, I can provide the main.scpt following the import attempt:

http://userweb.eftel.com/~almeath/mac/main.scpt.zip
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Again, a good catch. I didn't try importing the disk into the bundle, but instead tested with the link-and-leave-outside option. I'll see if I can fix that today.

The program doesn't convert between formats. It simply renames the imported file. It doesn't matter what extension you give to a disk image file; it works the same way in SheepShaver. The file is absolutely the same. It's simply easier for me to use a standard name.