Standalone SheepShaver for OS X (add ROM and OS 8.5-9.0.4)

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Standalone SheepShaver for OS X (add ROM and OS 8.5-9.0.

Post by emendelson »

OK, this was another thing I neglected to change when I converted the Mac OS 9 app from single-user to multi-user-capable. I've got it fixed but want to test it some more. Will post here when it's ready.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

This should now be fixed. Ever since I complicated this system by making it work for multiple users and by switching to a sparsebundle format for the main disk, everything got extremely complicated. If there are still problems, then you can download the old single-user version which works reliably, but doesn't use a sparsebundle and works only a single-user system when run from the Applications folder.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

emendelson wrote:This should now be fixed. Ever since I complicated this system by making it work for multiple users and by switching to a sparsebundle format for the main disk, everything got extremely complicated. If there are still problems, then you can download the old single-user version which works reliably, but doesn't use a sparsebundle and works only a single-user system when run from the Applications folder.
Thanks for your work on this. It does import successfully now.

Now that SheepShaver supports it, is there a way to specify that CD images import as a virtual CD-ROM, rather than as a hard disk?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

almeath wrote:Now that SheepShaver supports it, is there a way to specify that CD images import as a virtual CD-ROM, rather than as a hard disk?
Just to clarify: what has changed is not SheepShaver, but the AppleScript in my Mac OS 9 app that launches SheepShaver.

And you're right that it should be possible to mount an image as a CD-ROM. That is now supported in the current version.

Anyone who finds this AppleScript application useful in their work, or who is glad to have it, is welcome to visit:

http://wpdos.org/voluntary.html
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

emendelson wrote:And you're right that it should be possible to mount an image as a CD-ROM. That is now supported in the current version.
I tried dragging different images onto the app and it works well. For some reason, several of the CD images still displayed as hard drive icons on the desktop, but it seems they are still recognized as CDs by MacOS.

I know I keep throwing requests at you .. but could there be an ability to import multiple CD images to be mounted simultaneously? There are some multiple CD games (i.e. Riven) where it would be useful to mount all the images at once. This can be done within the standard SheepShaver preferences file, so I am hoping it could be incorporated into your script? When I try dragging a second image onto the app, it says it will remove the original image and replace it with the new one as the second disk.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

almeath wrote:I know I keep throwing requests at you .. but could there be an ability to import multiple CD images to be mounted simultaneously? There are some multiple CD games (i.e. Riven) where it would be useful to mount all the images at once. This can be done within the standard SheepShaver preferences file, so I am hoping it could be incorporated into your script? When I try dragging a second image onto the app, it says it will remove the original image and replace it with the new one as the second disk.
Very interesting idea. I hadn't thought of it because I don't actually use this system. Yes, I can easily do that, and I've already got it working in a no-frills way. I've added a voluntary-contribution ink to my download page for this system, and if any substantial contributions come in, I'll put in the time needed to make it work smoothly.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I've updated this to include kanjitalk755's recent improvements. Linear scaling and nearest-integer scaling are turned on by default.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I've now completely reworked the SheepShaver Wrapper app so that that it uses the SheepShaver Preferences pane in the normal way.

When you launch the SheepShaver Wrapper for the first time, it sets the Unix folder as your Documents folder, but it will remember any change you make to the Unix folder in the Preferences pane. If you enter a non-existent folder in the Preferences pane, it will automatically set the Unix folder as your Documents folder.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

Is anyone experiencing problems with the wrapper in the latest version of Mojave (10.14.5)?

It was working perfectly for me up to 10.14.4, but following the update, I am getting a black screen and beach ball when I run it. I have to force quit because it does not respond at all.

I also tried dropping the latest SheepShaver build (4 May 2019) into the wrapper, and it does the same thing. So it does not appear to be an issue with the latest build of SheepShaver in 10.14.5.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

No problem here under Mojave 10.14.5. Possibly something's wrong with the disk image on which you installed the classic OS? That's just a guess.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

emendelson wrote:No problem here under Mojave 10.14.5. Possibly something's wrong with the disk image on which you installed the classic OS? That's just a guess.
Thanks. I will do some more testing with fresh disk images. The two things that confuse me are that the existing wrappers worked normally before the update (nothing was moved or copied) and SheepShaver 2.5 VMs (using the same disk images) are still working fine for me.
almeath
Mac Mechanic

Post by almeath »

After some more testing, the problem is now manifesting itself with the SheepShaver 2.5 application. I will raise the issue in the main forum.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I've now updated the SheepShaver Wrapper so that (1) it runs smoothly under Catalina and (2) it includes a 4GB blank disk image on which to install OS 8 or 9. The 4GB image is in sparsebundle format, so it only occupies about 26MB until you install something to it. There's a second 4GB image in the same folder, and, if you need extra space you can add that from the Preferences Pane.
bedwyr
Space Cadet

Post by bedwyr »

hi -
I had SheepShaver working on Mac OS10.14 - recently updated to Catalina OS10.15

When I tried to open SheepShaver Mac "Security & Privacy" > "Privacy" > "Input Monitoring" system preferences opened asking me to 'tick' the SheepShaver.app to "Allow the apps below to monitor input from your keyboard even while using other apps." - I 'ticked' but SheepShaver wouldn't open, just a white rectangle on the monitor with spinning beachball icon and in the Force Quit Applications window it said "not responding" so I force quitted after a while.

Updated the SheepShaver wrapper from this site - version 2.5 October 2019 - and replaced the original in my Applications folder with this one. When I open the app I get a "Before you run this application under macOS 10.15 Catalina or later" notice - I click 'continue' but then get a warning "The variable posixToMe is not defined. The variable PosixToMe is not defnined. (-2753)" - I get a choice to "Edit" or "OK" - "Edit" opens Script Editor - "OK" closes the dialog -

should I change any details with Script Editor?

to be honest I'm quite lost! - hope someone can help -
thanks - bedwyr
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

That "PosixToMe" error is my mistake; I know how to fix it, and will post an update within the next few hours. Apologies for the inconvenience.
Last edited by emendelson on Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Fixed now (at least I hope it's fixed).
bedwyr
Space Cadet

Post by bedwyr »

hi emendelson -
yes, I can confirm it's fixed! - all went well, got the "Update Apple Hard Disk Drivers" hang during installation but got around that -
many thanks for all your work -
bedwyr
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

This system now uses the 25 July 2020 revision of SheepShaver by kanjitalk755. Also, the AppleScript wrapper has been updated so that it will run smoothly on Macs that have an updated operating system later this year.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Standalone SheepShaver for OS X (add ROM and OS 8.5-9.0.4)

Post by emendelson »

This is now a universal app, using kanjitalk755's latest code.
brklyn.ellie
Student Driver

Post by brklyn.ellie »

I'm getting the error message below after my most recent OSX update to Big Sur:

"Can't make "Retina" into type number.

Can't make "Retina" into type number. (-1700)"

I tried uninstalling the MacOS9 app and reinstalling it to no avail. Reached out to the developer and he's also not sure of what the error message could be in reference to. The "edit" button takes me to a window in Script Editor that may as well be written in Greek, based on my ability to understand it - but searching "Retina" in that window also yielded nothing.

Let me know if I'm on the right track here, or if anyone else has had this issue.

Link to error message image: https://imgur.com/k7Cl72S
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ah - I see from your other post that you're running my Mac OS 9 application, which is discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=9358

But since we're here already: I can't imagine where that message is coming from, as the word "Retina" is not in the AppleScript for that application. I can only guess that you may be running the application on a non-Retina Mac. But I use both a Retina and a non-Retina Mac, so I can't guess what's wrong. (You didn't tell us which model/year Mac you're using.) And no one else has reported this. So it's a puzzle.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Possibly, but I can't figure out where "Retina" comes from. It's not in the AppleScript and it doesn't seem to be returned from any of the shell scripts run by the AppleScript.

To the original poster: Are you trying to run SheepShaver full-screen, or (the default) in a window. The more details you can give about what, if anything, you did other than simply double-click the application, the more likely we are to find an answer.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

And perhaps let us know what locale/language/region you are running?

Best,
Cat_7
brklyn.ellie
Student Driver

Post by brklyn.ellie »

Hi all,

Sorry for my delay. I'm running Version 11.4 (20F71) of Big Sur on a 2020 iMac Retina 5k 27". I'm in New York running American English.

I last updated my Mac this past Sunday and only noticed the issue with MacOS9 on Wednesday.