Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ClockWise
Site Admin

Feralcore

Post by ClockWise »

This was sent in via e-mail, so I thought I should share it here:

http://www.feralcore.com/

"Feralcore has many interpretations, but one of them is a form of networked Core War.

The experiment is written in Java (in a Functional style) and the underlying VM is the Motorola 68000.

It has a built-in emulator, disassembler, and interactive debugger (Swing interface). The debugger roughly models the old Macsbug debugger for macs. So, I think Macsbug enthusiasts might really like it.

It is open-source under the GNU Affero license."

The website provides more info:

"Feralcore is an experimental general-purpose communications protocol. It draws on many ideas including Darin, Core War, and Cryptovirology. It relates to artificial life research like Network Tierra since programs can send themselves anywhere within the feralcore network. However, the underling virtual machine is a Random Access Machine based on the Motorola 68000. Feralcore is designed as a best-effort layer supporting application protocols on top of it. The experimental implemenation is covered under the GNU Affero license. This scientific experiment encompasses the theory of computation, computer network theory, and cryptography. The current experiment is written in Java. The PDF guide to feralcore is available here: feralcore guide. You can build this PDF from the LaTeX source in the source tar ball.

In addition to being an experiment in distributed communication, feralcore also serves as a good Motorola 68000 emulator. It is an emulator, disassembler, and interactive debugger all rolled into one. The interactive debugger uses the Swing interface and loosely resembles the old Apple Macsbug debugger for 68k macs. Be advised that not all Motorola 68000 instructions are implemented, and a few new instructions were added to the instruction set. Feralcore is nonetheless a great educational tool for learning Motorola 68000 assembly language on any machine that supports Java."
Last edited by ClockWise on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: