(COI) Unzipped Folders Are Invisible

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

thekraken8him
Space Cadet

(COI) Unzipped Folders Are Invisible

Post by thekraken8him »

This may have been answered before, but I've searched the web pretty extensively to no avail and decided to stop my search here.

I am using COI Chubby Bunny (Mac OS 9.0.4) on an iMac running Mac OS 10.7.5. I have been trying to install several applications, including Stuffit Expander 5.5, to the classic environment with 0% success. I know that COI is set up to use the Users/Shared folder as a default for file sharing, and every file I put in there shows up and transfers properly EXCEPT when that folder/file has been extracted in Mac OSX. If I unzip these applications in Mac OSX, they are invisible in OS9.

I tried installing Stuffit Expander for OS9 in order to get around this problem, but that too, like all other OS9 applications, does not show up in the Shared Folder.

I tried creating a folder in OSX [Folder 1] and putting an extracted folder [Folder 2] inside that one to transfer, and it appeared to transfer properly, but when I opened up the created folder [Folder 1], [Folder 2] was nowhere to be found.

When I don't use folders at all and try to transfer the OS9 applications alone, they do not appear in the shared folder.

If I put a lone OS9 application in a created folder and try to transfer that created folder, I get an error message saying that the OS9 application "cannot be found".

I tried opening up Sherlock 2 to try and reveal any hidden files, but it gave me an error message saying that Sherlock 2 needed the latest System Files to run.

I am at a loss and have no idea why these things are no showing up in the classic environment. Any light that you guys could shed on this would be helpful.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: (COI) Unzipped Folders Are Invisible

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

COI is build around a quite old SheepShaver version. In OSX 10.8.5 on my Mac it does not even show the "Unix" volume that relates to the shared folder. I suppose you can see the "Unix" volume mounted on the OS9 desktop?

Exactly what kind of archives did "unzip" on the OSX side and which application did you use to do that?
thekraken8him
Space Cadet

Post by thekraken8him »

Yes, I can see the "Unix" volume mounted on the OS9 Desktop. That is the location I am attempting to transfer from.

The archives that I am extracting in OSX are .sit files and I am using Stuffit Expander for Mac OSX.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I cannot reproduce this problem here. Older SheepShaver versions, like the one in COI, did have various issues with the shared folder. You could try a newer SheepShaver build.

When you launch a regular SheepShaver application after COI has been used at least once, it will use the configuration set by COI. You can even change preferences settings. It will continue to work as long as you do not move COI and in SheepShaver preferences do not remove the paths to files inside COI. Again launching COI will reset the settings back to COI defaults.

Note that you cannot run applications from the shared folder, they must first be copied inside MacOS9 from the "Unix" volume to another mounted volume in MacOS9.

Also note that the default startup disk in COI has little free space to add software. The ReadMe that is included with COI describes how to use the additional larger HD images.