[WINDOWS GUIDE] Installing MAC OS X Tiger With 4 Discs

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ImAhNoBoDy
Space Cadet

[WINDOWS GUIDE] Installing MAC OS X Tiger With 4 Discs

Post by ImAhNoBoDy »

After a lot of trial and error, I was able to install MAC OS X Tiger that required 4 discs. Please go use the standard guide at http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pearpc_setup, but there are a few more steps that need to be done.

What you need first:
-Sheepshaver or Basilisk II set up with any MAC operating system of your choice.
-Installat discs
-Few more gigs of hard drive space

I'll be starting off before the "Installing MAC OS X" section of the standard guide.

[GUIDE] Preparing for the Multi-boot disk

1. Extract another 6GB hard disk image. I will call this disk "Multi-boot" for this guide.
2. Open PearPC and select your Multi-boot disk as the IDE ONE or your "Primary Master HD".
3. Select your first MAC OS X disc as your IDE TWO or "Second IDE Slot". Your first MAC OS X install disc should be bootable, but not the other 3 discs.
4. Make sure your Boot settings or Boot method is showing "select" instead of auto.
5. Start PearPC and enter 1 for "partition 2 of 'cdrom0'". Press Enter.
6. The MAC OS should load and take you to the language selection screen. Choose your language and click the right arrow to continue.
7. In the next few steps, we will not be installing the MAC OS. So click on "Utilities" > "Disk Utilities" at the Menu.
8. You should see your Multi-boot disk and your disc. Click on your Multi-boot disk. It might be named "6.0GB EIN GEBUESH!" if you downloaded the disk from this site.
9. On the right panel, click on "Partition".
10. From the "Panel" screen, select "3 Partitions" from the "Volume Scheme:" section. We will only be making 3 partitions instead of 4, because the first MAC OS disc is bootable.
11. Select the last partition and name it "MAC OS X Install Disc 4". Set the size to 1GB. Change the (NOTE: Naming of your partitions HAVE to match what your disc's say, which means it is case sensitive. The install will be looking for that exact name. If you don't know the name, you will need to mount the disc in SheepShaver.)
12. Select the middle partition and name it "MAC OS X Install Disc 3". Set the size to 1GB.
13. Select the first partition and name it "MAC OS X Install Disc 2". Set the size to 4GB.

Transferring The Install Discs To The Hard Disk in SheepShaver

14. Move/Copy your 3 install discs (ISO) in Windows to your C: Drive (It's simpler this way. I tried a different drive in Windows, but some of my folders didn't show up where the discs were.)
15. Rename the extensions on your disc from ISO to dmg.
16. Open up SheepShaver and add your Multi-boot disk.
17. Select the option "Enable "My Computer" icon on your desktop (external file system)"
18. Click start and whatever MAC OS you have should of loaded only the first partition which should be "MAC OS X Install Disc 2" (None of the other partitions show up.)
19. Open up "My PC" and then your "C" folder. Click and drag all of your install discs to "MAC OS X Install Disc 2".
20. Once the files are transferred, shutdown SheepShaver.

Restoring The Install Discs To The Hard Disk

21. Repeat steps 5 through 7 in the "[/b]Preparing for the Multi-boot disk[/b]" section above. (When choosing which drive to boot you will notice that you can see your partitions at startup)
22. Click on your Multi-boot disk. On the right panel, click on "Restore".
23. At the "Source:" section, click on the "Image...." button.
24. Click on the "MAC OS X Install Disc 2" partition and you should see your 2nd install disc. Double click on the file for the 2nd disc.
25. Click and drag your "MAC OS X Install Disc 2" partition from the left panel to the "Destination:" section on the right panel. Drop your file when you see a green + sign.
26. Click on the "Restore" button.
27. You will be prompted if you want to copy the new data. Click yes.
28. Go through steps 24 through 27 for your 2nd and 3rd partitions with their respective disc and partition names.
29. After you have the discs restored on your Mult-boot disk, Click on "Disk Utilities" > "Quit Disk Utilities".
30. Click on "Installer" > "Quit Installer". Click "Restart" at the prompt.
31. Swap out your Mutli-boot disk with a blank 6GB blank disk that you want to install MAC OS X with in PearPC.

The Disc Switch

32. Start your install with the "MAC OS Install Disc 1" (I will not be walking you through that).
33. After you restart the MAC OS X at the end of disc 1, open up PearPC again. Swap out your "MAC OS X Install Disc 1" with the Multi-boot disk.
34. At the boot up screen, enter 1 for "partition 3 of 'disk0'".
35. Finish up the installation. You won't be prompted to insert any discs.

If you know of any easier way to do this, let me know. I'm assuming this will work with multi-disc games. Thank you for visiting my guide.
Last edited by ImAhNoBoDy on Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Re: [WINDOWS GUIDE] Installing MAC OS X Tiger With 4 Discs

Post by ClockWise »

Thanks for sharing this. After it has been up here for discussion for a little while, I'll add a reference to this post in the existing guide.
ImAhNoBoDy
Space Cadet

Post by ImAhNoBoDy »

No problem. I hope I can help someone who was having issues with multi-disc issues.

I would like someone to test it out to make sure I didn't miss anything though.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

This sounds pretty much exactly how I've done it in the past -- but we should probably have at least one person follow the instructions "cold" so that we can find out if anything's missing that we just assume, but others may not :)
Mina Sameh
Student Driver

Post by Mina Sameh »

I can't understand "swap". and quick reply please, because it logs me out after 10 minutes. :cry:
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Google translate is your friend.
swap=exchange

Be sure to ask a more elaborate and to the point question next, because our spam-alert feelings are triggered by such questions...and we have short fuse nowadays: you weren't logged out: your account was removed first time around.

Best,
Cat_7
Mina Sameh
Student Driver

Post by Mina Sameh »

I know it means exchange, but i tried the following:
turning ide 0
tuning slave 0
but nothing worked. i am unable to install tiger.
please help... :cry:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I am not sure what you trying to do. If you want help, you must be more elaborate and more specific.

Are you following the setup guide until "Installing MAC OS X", and from there the above instructions?
How far were you able to follow the guide and the instructions?
Where, at which point, do you not understand how to proceed.
Mina Sameh
Student Driver

Post by Mina Sameh »

i was able to continue more until step 31. yes i was setting up pearpc from the guide then this. stopped until 31. I have became more specific as you said.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

31. Swap out your Mutli-boot disk with a blank 6GB blank disk that you want to install MAC OS X with in PearPC.
The sentence does not go well, but its meaning seems clear: Exchange the Mutli-boot disk image file with a (I suppose new) blank 6GB disk image file onto which you want to install Mac OS X.

If this does not make sense to you, I hope someone with experience with PearPC on Windows can help you further.
Mina Sameh
Student Driver

Post by Mina Sameh »

yeah i did it, but i meant step 33. doing the 33rd step this makes pearpc close after choosing 1 for disk3. at the point where it says "swap out you mac os x disc 1 with the multi-boot disk". :sad:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The way you write it, it looks as if you did things in the wrong order.

Did you start the Mac OS installation as mentioned (not described in detail) in step 32 and restart Mac OS X when finished with disk 1 as mentioned at the beginning in step 33?

After that, you are supposed to first "swap out your "MAC OS X Install Disc 1" with the Multi-boot disk".

Only then, after the disk image swap, you should enter 1 for "partition 3 of 'disk0'" at the boot up screen.
Mina Sameh
Student Driver

Post by Mina Sameh »

i did them in the correct order, and started the installation in step 32 and restarted at 33. but after that, i remove the iso image from my config file:
ppc_start_resolution = "1024x768x32@60"
ppc_start_full_screen = 0
redraw_interval_msec = 50
key_compose_dialog = "Ctrl+F11"
key_change_cd_0 = "Ctrl+F12"
key_toggle_mouse_grab = "F12"
key_toggle_full_screen = "Alt+Return"
prom_bootmethod = "select"
prom_env_machargs = "-s"
prom_driver_graphic = "video.x"
page_table_pa = 0x00300000
cpu_pvr = 0x00088302
memory_size = 0x10000000
pci_ide0_master_installed = 0
pci_ide0_master_image = "C:\Users\Mina\Downloads\Tiger_CD1.toast_\Tiger_Disc1.iso"
pci_ide0_master_type = "cdrom"
pci_ide0_slave_installed = 1
pci_ide0_slave_image = "C:\Users\Mina\Downloads\macosx_6gb\macosx_6gb.img"
pci_ide0_slave_type = "hd"
pci_3c90x_installed = 0
pci_3c90x_mac = "DE:AD:CA:FE:12:34"
pci_rtl8139_installed = 0
pci_rtl8139_mac = "PE:AR:PC:58:25:01"
pci_usb_installed = 0
pci_serial_installed = 0
nvram_file = "nvram"
here i mean the cdrom. when i remove the img and put in place the iso file, and choose 1 for disk3. it closes instantly. what did i swap wrong?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

IDE prefers a disk in the Master position in order to work. You've disabled the IDE master:
pci_ide0_master_installed = 0
pci_ide0_master_image = "C:\Users\Mina\Downloads\Tiger_CD1.toast_\Tiger_Disc1.iso"
pci_ide0_master_type = "cdrom"
What you should try is swapping your master and slave values so the HDD is the master device and the CD-ROM is the slave. Then you can disable the CD-ROM and you shouldn't have issues.

It's also worth noting that this is invalid:
pci_rtl8139_mac = "PE:AR:PC:58:25:01"
Ethernet MAC IDs have to be hexadecimal values... that means 0-9 and A-F are approprate; P is not.

That shouldn't be an issue here though as it's disabled.
Mina Sameh
Student Driver

Post by Mina Sameh »

I have swapped them and corrected the address:
ppc_start_resolution = "1024x768x32@60"
ppc_start_full_screen = 0
redraw_interval_msec = 50
key_compose_dialog = "Ctrl+F11"
key_change_cd_0 = "Ctrl+F12"
key_toggle_mouse_grab = "F12"
key_toggle_full_screen = "Alt+Return"
prom_bootmethod = "select"
prom_env_machargs = "-s"
prom_driver_graphic = "video.x"
page_table_pa = 0x00300000
cpu_pvr = 0x00088302
memory_size = 0x10000000
pci_ide0_master_installed = 1
pci_ide0_master_image = "C:\Users\Mina\Downloads\macosx_6gb\macosx_6gb.img"
pci_ide0_master_type = "hd"
pci_ide0_slave_installed = 0
pci_ide0_slave_image = "C:\Users\Mina\Downloads\Tiger_CD1.toast_\Tiger_Disc1.iso"
pci_ide0_slave_type = "cdrom"
pci_3c90x_installed = 0
pci_3c90x_mac = "DE:AD:CA:FE:12:34"
pci_rtl8139_installed = 0
pci_rtl8139_mac = "3C:07:71:6E:11:B8"
pci_usb_installed = 0
pci_serial_installed = 0
nvram_file = "nvram"
but still closes after selecting 1 for partition 3 of disk 0. Why? :cry:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Where are you selecting partition 3?
Mina Sameh
Student Driver

Post by Mina Sameh »

on the 3rd partition. if that's what you mean. yes. on the img file the 3rd partition.
Mina Sameh
Student Driver

Post by Mina Sameh »

anyone, please reply, i installed mac os x tiger over 2 times and still closes for partition 3 of disk0...
Mina Sameh
Student Driver

Post by Mina Sameh »

alright i will give up. this guide doesn't work for me. especially where it says swap disc 1 with the multi boot disk. :sad: :sad: :sad:
Mina Sameh
Student Driver

Post by Mina Sameh »

the automated process for this is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySmkOTh_0Gw
rather than i configure everything and don't get the right results. :mad: