can't run sheepshaver (COI) full screen

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

stereolab
Space Cadet

can't run sheepshaver (COI) full screen

Post by stereolab »

hello! not sure this is where i should post this... but here it goes: i'm running CoI "chubby bunny" v4.1 and i can't set it to run full screen. it might have something to do with the preferences, because i've disabled launcher on startup items and it still launched the next time i started up OS9. but then again i changed the desktop background and that didn't revert to the original settings...

all help deeply appreciated! been using classic since system6 and it's really frustrating not to be able to use all the awesome software i managed to use some time ago (i've been frequently running os9 moonlight on my indigo iMac until early 2007 - when a power supply peak killed it - even though i've been using osx since 2005)´

take care!

------------

specs: CoI 4.1 on osx.5.8, macbook white (4,1) 2.4Ghz, 250GB hd, 2GB ram.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

COI "Chubby Bunny" cannot be run full-screen. Its settings are hard coded in the application. It is possible to change the code in that file (COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny"/COI/hih1) to make COI run full-screen, replacing "screen win/1024/855" by "screen dga/0/0". I tried that, but the result will be a distorted desktop image, even after adjusting the size in Monitors control panel. Don't know why. There must be other adjustments to SheepShaver in COI that I am unaware of.

The normal SheepShaver application can be run full-screen fine. The 25-10-2009 build will run best on MacOSX 10.5. Before you can set it up, you will need to remove the (invisible) file ~/.sheepshaver_prefs that COI writes each time it is launched. You can delete the prefs file with the script in this download: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... cripts.zip
stereolab
Space Cadet

Post by stereolab »

well, i will definitely try to install sheepshaver later... the truth is CoI runs quite well while windowed, and that should be enough for my occasional use of classic apps. i'm just a hardcore classic fan, i guess :) i was never too happy with the intel transition (although it's certainly great to be able to run all those windows games i was never able to run when i was a kid - we never had a non-apple computer at home; also i'm quite sure the compatibility provided by osx was crucial in order to keep apple in the game).

thanks for your help, i'll try your suggestion and see if i can further change any settings that'll get the fullscreen mode to work properly. i'll probably be back later when i'm installing sheepshaver form scratch, but for now, thanks for the help!
stereolab
Space Cadet

Post by stereolab »

so, i'm now trying to set up sheepshaver. i've read the instructions posted on the site, but apparently i didn't do it carefully enough, because i've immediately proceeded to extract the ROM file on the os9.0.4 cd, which apparently isn't supported. i will now try the same process using the ROM within the os8.6 cd. will this allow me to run 9.0.4?

i've also tried to extract a supported ROM out of the 1.0 update, using tomeview on CoI, but i'm getting a file system related issue with the .smi disk image. is this normal or do you think i could somehow bypass this problem? it would be much easier for me to extract it from the update than doing it off the 8.6 cd.

thanks for all the help! if a manual setup of sheepshaver works half as good as CoI (and with the bonus of running fullscreen), this will not only be good old classic fun! it will also be very helpful.

take care!

emanuel

ps: i've been trying to find out whether wi-fi is supported on sheepshaver. my specs are: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x88), firmware version Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.91.21). do you think this will work?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

- The ROM file from the 8.6 CD will not work either.

- If the .smi file is OK, double-clicking it in MacOS 9 in COI should mount the image volume.

- There are other ways to obtain a ROM file, read the setup manual.

- WiFi is not supported in SheepShaver itself, but you will be able to use the network connection of your host machine, regardless whether the connection is wired or wireless. Again, see the setup manual. (Should work in COI also.)
JimMurphy
Space Cadet

Re: can't run sheepshaver full screen

Post by JimMurphy »

Using the tip you provided, I had great success running COI 4.0.1+ in full screen mode. Tried it on two different Macbooks: an older 17" core 2 duo, which has been updated all the way to Mavericks OSX 10.9
and a newer Macbook 15" i7 that is still on OSX Lion.

Both have 1680x1050 screens, and OS 9 uses it edge to edge with perfect proportions.

I am using this to run a pretty demanding application: A CAD program from the early 1990's called PowerDraw5 - and everything works just as well as it did on the original hardware from that era.
jayman30usa
Space Cadet

Re: can't run sheepshaver full screen

Post by jayman30usa »

It is possible to change the code in that file (COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny"/COI/hih1) to make COI run full-screen, replacing "screen win/1024/855" by "screen dga/0/0". I tried that, but the result will be a distorted desktop image, even after adjusting the size in Monitors control panel. Don't know why. There must be other adjustments to SheepShaver in COI that I am unaware of.
I've been able to run Chubby Bunny with no problems in Yosemite (10.10.2) on an eight core Mac Pro in fullscreen at 1920x1080 using this method of editing hih1 file found inside the app executable. Had to change the code to "screen dga/1920/1080" Couldn't get a clean downloaded version of the latest Sheepshaver apps to ever launch without crashing in 10.10 no matter what I did, but Chubby Bunny starts right up every time.

Pic of Chubby Bunny running in 1080p glory here: http://tinypic.com/r/243jdwp/8
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: can't run sheepshaver (COI) full screen

Post by adespoton »

Strange; I've never used Chubby Bunny (or COI) and have had no issues with migrating all my SheepShaver guests from 10.5->10.6->10.7->10.8->10.9->10.10. This indicates it's probably a configuration issue (plain SS is configured a bit differently from the COI packages from what I've read on these forums).

These days, I run all my SS images in 1024x768, as that makes it easy to generate internet-friendly videos from them.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: can't run sheepshaver (COI) full screen

adespoton wrote:(plain SS is configured a bit differently from the COI packages from what I've read on these forums).
Chubby Bunny COI has a fixed configuration coded inside the application package that is written to ~/.sheepshaver_prefs (and will overwrite any other content of that file) each time the application is launched.

The prefs file will always be as shown below (if installed on the desktop of user "username"). Note the Finder-invisible 'dot' files inside the app package and the window mode setting.

The only way to change settings is to edit the file COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny".app/COI.app/hih1

Code: Select all

disk /Users/username/Desktop/COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny "/COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny".app/COI.app/.Classic.dmg
rom /Users/username/Desktop/COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny "/COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny".app/COI.app/.old.rom
keycodefile /Users/username/Desktop/COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny "/COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny".app/COI.app/.BasiliskII_keycodes
disk /Users/Shared/400Meg.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/800Meg.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/1200Meg.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/MyOldHD.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/COIHD.dmg
extfs /Users/Shared/
screen win/1024/855
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala 
serialb 
bootdrive 0
bootdriver -62
ramsize 268435456
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui true
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether slirp
keycodes true
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv false
idlewait false
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: