Qemu package and guide for OSX available

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Qemu package and guide for OSX available

Post by Cat_7 »

No problem,

Compiling on OSX is easy, but distributing an OSX build requires some additional steps like fixing references to libraries you will probably not have installed on your machine. These libraries sometimes get updated by brew, so I have to copy the correct libraries into the Libs folder and check the script I use to point to the libraries in the Libs folder. See here:
https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... =34&t=8848

Next, I need to check whether all works correctly by actually downloading my own version. This sets additional attributes on some files that need to be correctly removed by the allow-qemu-to-run script provided. Only then I can upload something to the forum.

Windows builds just require copying the executable, pc-bios folder and dlls used into one folder and upload it.

While we're at it: misschien kun je me een voorbeeld van een internetradio-link sturen die met winamp afgespeeld kan worden?

Best,
Cat_7
rscaboyke
Student Driver

Post by rscaboyke »

@Cat7, I think everything needed for livestream muziek via Winamp for Mac is included in this .sit file, give a sign please when working - thx for everything and greetings from Belgium.

By the way ages ago I posted in the Sheepshaver forum about opcode error when launching Adobe Framemaker 7 in sheepshaver and that Gwenolé posted me a version that resolved that issue, though with all the upcoming versions the error re-appeared. I found out that when you launch framemaker in structure-mode and not in the normal-mode no error occurs anymore. In Qemu ppc never had an error with framemaker

https://we.tl/t-yjIA6Ub17W
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Thank you. Sound quality is perfect.
I found one can add channels by finding e.g. http://icecast.vrtcdn.be/stubru-high.mp3 and add it to the list.
Oh boy, I remember the days StudioBrussel only broadcasted between 7 and 23 and played 2 songs back-to-back, only mentioning title and performers in-between. For a long time now it has become an advertising vehicle.... m-and-m hits? Really?

Best,
Cat_7
rscaboyke
Student Driver

Post by rscaboyke »

Hey Cat,

Since the new osx built in the qemu.command is now also like windows versions the backslash-separator used, what is the actually the best way to go - one line and "-drive file=9.2.img,format=raw,media=disk" or "-hda 9.2.img \" ?
Thanks for any explanation
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The ^ for windows and the \ for OSX and Linux line endings are just there to improve readability.
When those lines are parsed in the Windows or OSX terminals they are stitched together into one line, recreating the original one-liner.

As for -hda or -drive: -hda already fill in some parameter values -drive does not.
For example, -hda automatically fills in media=disk while -drive needs explicit mentioning of that.

Please note the logic: after the last line there is no ^ or \ as the parser should not try to read an additional line that is not there.

However, I do not know all parameters set automatically. I wonder who does ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I used to know the defaults, but they've changed since then :) If you look in the source repository, the defaults are outlined there.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Classic works within Tiger

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but, just in case, at least the latest experimental Qemu build (5.0, with screamer) for macOS can run Classic within its emulation of Mac OS X Tiger. The first time I tried this, a couple of years ago, with an earlier version of Qemu, the Tiger disk would get corrupted. Now it works just fine.
A9K
Space Cadet

Post by A9K »

This looks great, nice work.

This preserves a huge chunk of the history of OS X, I'm curios to see if I could get a python web server running on old PPC hardware with OS X Puma.
That build belongs in a museum.
Flyinace2000
Space Cadet

Post by Flyinace2000 »

I'm probably missing something, but I can't get CRTL+ALT+G to release my mouse in Catalina. I'm using the left side of the keyboard.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I posted a new qemu-system-ppc for MacOS in the first post.

best,
Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

A new Qemu for osx build has landed in the first post.

Best,
Cat_7
spoofy
Space Cadet

Post by spoofy »

I have a macbook pro 17 "late 2006 with osx 10.6.5.
I can't install qemu either via brew or MacPort. Compiling gets stuck on some inaccessible features. Does anyone have a compiled version of qemu-system-ppc that runs on osx 10.6?
I need to run the MacOS 9.2
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

That will be difficult. Qemu only supports building on the last two versions of OSX. Older hosts might work, but there is no guarantee.

Do you need 9.2 or can 9.0 also provide what you need? In that case SheepShaver might help.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

spoofy wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:36 am I have a macbook pro 17 "late 2006 with osx 10.6.5.
I can't install qemu either via brew or MacPort. Compiling gets stuck on some inaccessible features. Does anyone have a compiled version of qemu-system-ppc that runs on osx 10.6?
I need to run the MacOS 9.2
What features is it getting stuck on?

If it's networking, you may need 10.7 or later to enable that. If it's just SDL2 support, you could try compiling it against X instead.
spoofy
Space Cadet

Post by spoofy »

clock_gettime and CLOCK_MONOTONIC macro
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Do you absolutely need MacOS 9.2.2? Most applications that run in MacOS 9.2.2 will also run in MacOS 9.0.4. Some may need the CarbonLib 1.6 extension installed in MacOS 9.0.4. MacOS 9.0.4 will run in SheepShaver. My 1 February 2014 version 2.4 SheepShaver build will run fine in MacOSX 10.6.
spoofy
Space Cadet

Post by spoofy »

It doesn't have to be os9.2, it's ok and 9.04. It's about that, qemu is much more stable on Linux and requiring less resources than SheepShaver,
so I wanted to try it on OSX. Surely there is a way to compile the thing on the old osx as well.
I just wanted to not reveal what I had already seen. Thanks anyway.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

spoofy wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:48 am It doesn't have to be os9.2, it's ok and 9.04. It's about that, qemu is much more stable on Linux and requiring less resources than SheepShaver,
so I wanted to try it on OSX. Surely there is a way to compile the thing on the old osx as well.
I just wanted to not reveal what I had already seen. Thanks anyway.
Nobody's currently targeting old OS versions on OS X. Remember, targeting 10.6 is like targeting Ubuntu 8. Can you get it to compile on Ubuntu 8? If so, with a bit of MacPorts or HomeBrew backports finangling, you should be able to apply the same libraries to make it run in 10.6.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

I've just installed the latest 5.2 experimental build of QEMU. It appears that "-rtc base=localtime" no longer works. Is there an equivalent parameter that will allow the guest MacOS 9.2.2 virtual machine to show the correct time?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

PeterHolbrook wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:53 am I've just installed the latest 5.2 experimental build of QEMU. It appears that "-rtc base=localtime" no longer works. Is there an equivalent parameter that will allow the guest MacOS 9.2.2 virtual machine to show the correct time?
You might want to file a bug report -- the changelog doesn't show anything that should have broken the RTC option, but there were some changes to edk2 that may have broken it.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I just gave the screamer build a go in my sierra host, -rtc base=localtime works OK over here.
Did you add that option to the command line on a separate line?
Perhaps you forgot to end the previous line with a \ so the terminal would continue to read the next line?

Best,
Cat_7
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

^My bad. I don't know what happened, but it does indeed work. I had used my 5.0 "MacOS922_Launch.command" which contained the -rtc parameter and refused to launch (I don't recall what the specific error message was, but it was related to "localtime"), so I removed it and it finally launched. I've just re-entered the parameter and it works just fine. Sorry about the unjustified whistle-blowing.
Forzafan456
Space Cadet

Post by Forzafan456 »

Hi the qemu screamer builds don't work on Big Sur and running allow qemu to run says emu-system-ppc doesn't exist
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Please check the allow qemu to run command file.

Perhaps I made an error in the command file.
It can be the name of the qemu program is not correct. If it says qemu-system-ppc in the command file, and the qemu program is actually called qemu-system-ppc-screamer then change all qemu-system-ppc into qemu-system-ppc-screamer and run the command file again.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Forzafan456 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:33 pm Hi the qemu screamer builds don't work on Big Sur and running allow qemu to run says emu-system-ppc doesn't exist
I'm running the screamer builds on Big Sur, so they do work. "emu-system-ppc" appears to be missing the "q" at the start. The initial qemu.command script has this written correctly, but maybe you accidentally modified it?