Qemu package and guide for OSX available

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

MacOS9Lives!
Space Cadet

Re: Qemu package and guide for OSX available

Post by MacOS9Lives! »

I have tried (3) "Screamer" builds under High Sierra with a 2009 Mac Pro, they all work until "Virtual Memory" is turn off in Mac OS 9.2.2...

Unfortunately, many DAW applications like ProTools free will not open with "Virtual memory" turned on...

Cat_7, do you have a build... or can you make a build... that does not break "screamer" support with "Virtual Memory" set to "off" in Mac OS 9.2.2 ?

- DieHard
Last edited by MacOS9Lives! on Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIDIgital
Space Cadet

Post by MIDIgital »

Hi Cat_7

Hope you're well. Need your advice on how to get Qemu to recognise the PACE USB iLok dongle key. Currently I'm using Qema on an iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013) 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7 running Mac Mojave 10.14.6. The Apple System Profiler details my USB connection as follows:

USB 3.0 Bus:

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBXHCILPTH
PCI Device ID: 0x8c31
PCI Revision ID: 0x0005
PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086

iLok:

Product ID: 0x5036
Vendor ID: 0x088e
Version: 0.10
Speed: Up to 1.5Mb/sec
Manufacturer: iLok
Location ID: 0x14100000 / 4
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 100
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Also, any luck in getting Sound to work without Virtual Memory having to be turned on? It basically kills all users wanting to run audio apps such as Digidesign or Opcode which won't run unless VM is turned off.

Thanks in advance.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I'm currently not able to look into this and will not be for the next two weeks. But to have any success with a usb device to be recognised by Mac OS 9.x you would first need to connect it to a real usb 1.1 bus like in an old Apple keyboard. Mac OS 9.x does not support usb 2 or higher.
As I am not the developer I cannot help the virtual memory issue. Also note that sound support is not in main line qemu so there are some issues there too.

There have been some developments in supporting usb on macOS hosts and I will create a new Qemu build once back to a real computer.

Best,
Cat_7
MacOS9Lives!
Space Cadet

Post by MacOS9Lives! »

Let me clarify...

Under Mac OS X High Sierra (as a host), every "Screamer" build I have tested (with Mac OS 9.2.2) immediately "breaks" the system sound (that was initially working with Virtual Memory "on")

If the "Virtual Memory" setting in Mac OS 9.2.2 is turned to the "Off" setting, and the machine restarted, the Control panel system sound will lock up and cause a series of random "clicking" sounds.

Has anyone had luck with any version of Mac OS X (as a host) and working sound with an emulated Mac OS 9.2.2 machine and Virtual memory set to "off".
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

^My current host is Big Sur 11.5.2, but the following would also apply to previous (and all) iterations of the OS as far back, at least, as Mojave. The screamer version of Qemu 5.x works fine on Mac OS 9.2.2 and Mac OS X 10.4 (including Classic) virtual machines.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The question was: Do they run after switching off virtual memory in the Mac OS guest and restarting.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Hmm... does the VM setting get stored properly in the NVRAM file SheepShaver creates? I've lost track; I'm pretty sure it doesn't in QEMU and has to be manually set at boot.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:52 pm The question was: Do they run after switching off virtual memory in the Mac OS guest and restarting.
Yes, I got the question, but, since the "screamer" Qemu works well (not perfectly, just fine) without tweaking the memory, what would be the point? Crippling the installation and then see if uncrippling it is feasible?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You ask what would be the point. Two weeks ago, this post started the discussion about virtual memory in builds with screamer support:
MacOS9Lives! wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:36 pm I have tried (3) "Screamer" builds under High Sierra with a 2009 Mac Pro, they all work until "Virtual Memory" is turn off in Mac OS 9.2.2...

Unfortunately, many DAW applications like ProTools free will not open with "Virtual memory" turned on...

Cat_7, do you have a build... or can you make a build... that does not break "screamer" support with "Virtual Memory" set to "off" in Mac OS 9.2.2 ?

- DieHard
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

^OK, fair enough.
MIDIgital
Space Cadet

Post by MIDIgital »

Hi, is there a version of Qemu that runs on host Mac OS Mountain Lion and Mavericks? Don't seem to get Qemu 4.2-5.2 to launch. Thank you in advance.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Did you try any of the 2017 builds we provide here:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8848

Unfortunately Qemu's policy is to only officially support the current and two prior versions of macOS, so a newer Qemu can most likely not run on your host.

Best,
Cat_7
MIDIgital
Space Cadet

Post by MIDIgital »

Cat_7 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:02 pm Hi,

Did you try any of the 2017 builds we provide here:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8848

Unfortunately Qemu's policy is to only officially support the current and two prior versions of macOS, so a newer Qemu can most likely not run on your host.

Best,
Cat_7
Hi Cat, it didn't work. This pops up:

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _clock_gettime
Referenced from: /Users/home/QemuOSX/./qemu-system-ppc
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: _clock_gettime
Referenced from: /Users/home/QemuOSX/./qemu-system-ppc
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong, or need to add? Thanks :)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

In 2017 macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) was introduced, so 2017 builds will probably not run on OSX 10.10 (Yosemite) or earlier.
Bruninho
Tinkerer

Post by Bruninho »

Is there any build of qemu-screamer for M1 Macs?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Bruninho wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:18 pm Is there any build of qemu-screamer for M1 Macs?
I believe the UTM build includes qemu-ppc-screamer and is compiled for M1.
Bruninho
Tinkerer

Post by Bruninho »

adespoton wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:58 pm
Bruninho wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:18 pm Is there any build of qemu-screamer for M1 Macs?
Yeah, I forgot to come back here and say that I had compiled macayland's code from his repo for my M1. Works fine so far. The problem with UTM is that it does not let me save/run my VMs in an external SSD disk. There is a workaround by using a sparse image to store them, kinda like a symlink, but I am still thinking about trying that.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Bruninho wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:42 am
Yeah, I forgot to come back here and say that I had compiled macayland's code from his repo for my M1. Works fine so far. The problem with UTM is that it does not let me save/run my VMs in an external SSD disk. There is a workaround by using a sparse image to store them, kinda like a symlink, but I am still thinking about trying that.
Hmm... I hadn't realized .utm bundles needed to be in the UTM Documents folder. Guess it's an iOS holdover. So you're saying that symlinking the bundle to the SSD doesn't work, and symlinking the Documents folder itself to an SSD doesn't work?
Bruninho
Tinkerer

Post by Bruninho »

adespoton wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:41 pm
Bruninho wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:42 am

Hmm... I hadn't realized .utm bundles needed to be in the UTM Documents folder. Guess it's an iOS holdover. So you're saying that symlinking the bundle to the SSD doesn't work, and symlinking the Documents folder itself to an SSD doesn't work?
They have to be, the app was made sandboxed. All VMs must be in ~/Library/Containers/UTM/Data/Documents.

There is certainly a proper way to make it work from everywhere outside the sandbox, like it is with every other app, but the dev apparently has other priorities and moved it to the next milestone.

Symlinking does not work it's confirmed, because of permissions.

The only workaround is to create a sparse disk image from where you want to save them, and mount it as the "Documents" folder, replacing the original one, using hdiutil attach. I renamed the folder to "Dummy Folder" and mounted the sparse image as "Documents". Then I could load and run the VMs, but I could not create them. So whenever I want to create a VM, I need to create it first on my disk before mounting the image and moving the VM into the image.
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

You could mount the entire SSD or a partition of it at ~/Library/Containers/UTM/Data/Documents.
See https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... -of-volume.
Bruninho
Tinkerer

Post by Bruninho »

That's an interesting idea, but wouldn't it mount automatically the partition at /Volumes/Documents when I plug the external SSD in? I'd have to unmount and then mount it again manually at ~/Library/Containers/UTM/Data/Documents. That's not very different from the sparse image idea, though. In the long run, I expect UTM to address this by allowing external usage, like every other app, but for now the sparse image method gives me a decent workaround. I have two shell scripts to manually mount and unmount the image before and after using UTM.
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

Bruninho wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:57 pm That's an interesting idea, but wouldn't it mount automatically the partition at /Volumes/Documents when I plug the external SSD in?
No, in step 4 of the link I provided it says:
“Mount the volume, the mount point should show the path you specified.”
And exactly that is the idea of the whole fstab entry.

Also, I seem to remember the disk appeared in the volumes list in the sidebar just like any other volume back when I used fstab for this. So you unmount it the way you’re used to.

And once UTM supports custom locations, you just delete the fstab entry after unmounting and point UTM to /Volumes/<your_disk> after the first mount.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Time to bump this :) Are we going to get a 6.1 and a 6.1-screamer build for M1 soon? I've finally got my M1Pro MBP, and am about to start shovelling all my VMWARE vmdks and QEMU containers onto it -- probably via UTM so I get M1 and screamer support, but I'd love some Emaculation builds.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Well, at least I won't be able to. I have no M1 hardware, in fact the best I can do Apple-hardware-wise is a mac mini server running Mojave... and some intel-based virtual machines for Big Sur and Monterey.
Someone else would have to jump in to provide M1 native builds.

I'm also seeing some issues with distributing command files. They are "damaged" as soon as they are edited on the receiving machine. This breaks the current setup guide/distribution methode.

Best,
Cat_7
Bruninho
Tinkerer

Post by Bruninho »

adespoton wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:59 pm
Time to bump this :) Are we going to get a 6.1 and a 6.1-screamer build for M1 soon? I've finally got my M1Pro MBP, and am about to start shovelling all my VMWARE vmdks and QEMU containers onto it -- probably via UTM so I get M1 and screamer support, but I'd love some Emaculation builds.
Here's what I am doing, so you can have an idea of what to expect (sorry for going off topic here):

On UTM: macOS 9 VM (PPC Screamer), MSDOS 622/WFW311 (i386), Win 10 Pro (x86_64) and Ubuntu latest version (ARM64). I have few games for macOS 9, like Wolfestein and SimCity.

Using QEMU-3dfx fork from kjliew: Win 98 SE and Win XP both x86_64 (I know, Win 98 should be using i386 but by the time I had it installed, I did not bother changing it). Most of my childhood games are sorted here.

I thought about doing an OS X PPC install (Leopard or Tiger) but for now I don't see any usage for them. Sorbet Leopard ran a bit slower here. Maybe you have a better luck with a M1 Pro, certainly six times faster than my MB Air.

And probably you will not have any issues with Win 10/11 with a such powerful M1 Pro, unless you want 3D acceleration. Then you better find a Parallels Desktop build for M1 to install the ARM version of Windows.

Anything 1999 and earlier runs fine like bare metal here, and anything 2002 and later basically is crawling here. OK, Windows 10 x64 isn't bad, runs fine on UTM, but my MB Air gets hotter with usage. Anyway, I don't use that VM frequently - Only once per year to get new certificates for my work, from an app which has no macOS version. Then I export them to my Mac.