PearPC VirtualBox GUI Download Down

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

jordanbaron2
Student Driver

PearPC VirtualBox GUI Download Down

Post by jordanbaron2 »

I am trying to setup PearPC but when I go to the website to get the GUI the page gives a 502 error that says that the web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server and that the page can't be displayed. Does anyone have the download that can put it up for me to download? Or does anyone know of a place where I can download it?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: PearPC VirtualBox GUI Download Down

Post by Cat_7 »

We have this GUI in our downloads:

http://www.emaculation.com/pearpc/Setup ... iginal.zip

Best,
Cat_7
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

CorporalPig22
Inquisitive Elf

Post by CorporalPig22 »

The Google Drive link is somehow infected with a virus
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

No; Norton AntiVirus / Symantec AntiVirus detects the GUI as malicious because of how it loads and runs the main executable. Symantec has so far refused to fix their detection, but it's a false positive.

This is a known issue.
CorporalPig22
Inquisitive Elf

Post by CorporalPig22 »

adespoton wrote:No; Norton AntiVirus / Symantec AntiVirus detects the GUI as malicious because of how it loads and runs the main executable. Symantec has so far refused to fix their detection, but it's a false positive.

This is a known issue.
I think it may be a virus. Should I run it anyway? Because I probably recommend running it in a VirtualBox VM or something to test it for viruses.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Well, I suppose it could be infected with a virus depending on where you get it from. But the one with the SHA256 hash listed on here in the "it's being detected as a virus" thread contains no viruses, malware, adware, spyware, or anything else other than a legitimate front end written using a framework also abused by trojans.

There's a specific sequence of function calls in the front end that someone at Symantec wrote a generic detection for, which accidentally detected the front end as well as other legitimately malicious software. I've taken the whole thing apart and stepped it through their analysis engine, and saw exactly where they decided they had enough to detect.
RobK88
Space Cadet

Post by RobK88 »

You can no longer download the PearPC VirtualBox GUI from the developer's website. If you click the link, you will get "500- Internal Server Error".

But you can still download it from the WayBack Machine website.

See
https://web.archive.org/web/20171230205 ... %202.0.exe

The administrator of Emaculation.com may want to consider mirroring this file before it disappears from the internet since it the the tool recommended by Emaculation.com when setting up PearPC.

RobK88
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

The wiki now points to the archive. :)