Assistance needed from a first-timer to QEMU

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ThePuzzledBoy
Space Cadet

Assistance needed from a first-timer to QEMU

Post by ThePuzzledBoy »

Hello,

I am a bit of a first-timer to QEMU (I say a bit because I remember running a pre-built -- as in, I did no modifying of any sort to any files -- Linux virtual machine on it) who has been reading up on this forum, am trying out emulating Mac OS 9 and request help. But first, my conditions as to why I'm asking these questions.

- I am using the build from this post: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =34&t=9028
- I am running this on Windows 10, with the program compatibility set to Windows 7 for both 32-bit and 64-bit programs (just in case, and for those wondering, I am using the 32-bit version).
- I am running the stock batch file with the only things changed being:
- The boot order is changed to D to install Mac OS 9.2.2 (using the universal install from Macintosh Garden)
- The sdl argument has been removed
- The drive files are (obviously) changed to reflect the files I'm using
- I created a hard drive using qemu-img using the steps from the install guide accompanying the forum post.

The full batch file is as follows:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc-wip.exe -bios openbios-qemu-wip.elf -L pc-bios -boot d -m 512 -M mac99 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -net nic,model=sungem -net user -drive file=macos9hd.raw,format=raw,media=disk,index=1 -drive file=macos-922-uni.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom,index=0,copy-on-read=off
My questions are these:
1. The mouse glitches, i.e. "spazzes" to random corners of the screen. (I've heard this was a problem earlier on.) Can it be fixed, and if so, how?
2. The machine doesn't seem to recognize the newly-created hard drive, and as such, doesn't show it on the desktop. How do I fix that?

I only really want to use this VM to look at various appearance themes I found online, and have no interest in anything else.

Thank you for your interest,
Hunter
- Puzzled (aka Hunter)
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Assistance needed from a first-timer to QEMU

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

To boot, you should also change the order in which the disks appear in your command line. Just changing "c" to "d" isn't enough. This command line should get you going:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc-wip.exe -bios openbios-qemu-wip.elf -L pc-bios -boot d -m 512 -M mac99 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -net nic,model=sungem -net user -drive file=macos-922-uni.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=macos9hd.raw,format=raw,media=disk -sdl

Please note that both gtk and sdl based interfaces have problems, but sdl has less. You might also try to use -device virtio-tablet
After installation you can remove the cd rom entry and change "d" to "c".

Best,
Cat_7
ThePuzzledBoy
Space Cadet

Post by ThePuzzledBoy »

Cat_7, I have now tried that command (and even that virtio-tablet argument) and it seems to be doing the same thing as before. I don't mind the mouse problem now, I think my only problem for right now is the hard drive not showing up.

I posted two screenshots (one with the virtio-tablet argument and one without) showing the command prompt and the booted VM to give an idea of what's happening.

http://imgur.com/a/vj3nA

The hard drive itself is 4GB big. OS9 doesn't even ask to initialize it. Is that too small to be readable?

Thanks,
Hunter
- Puzzled (aka Hunter)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Ah yes,

You first need to use drive setup from the (I think) utilities folder on the CD to initialise the disk ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

1. The mouse glitches, i.e. "spazzes" to random corners of the screen. (I've heard this was a problem earlier on.) Can it be fixed, and if so, how?
Well, it can sort of be fixed by booting up windowed, then going fullscreen (Control + Alt + F). After you go into full screen, press Control and Alt again to unstick them. Still, that does mean you will be switching between Fullscreen and Windowed quite a bit and you have to press the modifier keys a couple of times to get them working properly in Mac OS 9.
2. The machine doesn't seem to recognize the newly-created hard drive, and as such, doesn't show it on the desktop. How do I fix that?
As for the hard drive, it's large enough. I got that size working fine. Not sure what's going on there. In my batch file, I had the hard disk after the CD file as did Cat7. Keep in mind when you boot up that Universal Install CD, it also tries to initialize the unformatted hard drive.
ThePuzzledBoy
Space Cadet

Post by ThePuzzledBoy »

Cat_7 wrote:Ah yes,

You first need to use drive setup from the (I think) utilities folder on the CD to initialise the disk ;-)
That worked! Now I can install! Thanks!
kataetheweirdo wrote: As for the hard drive, it's large enough. I got that size working fine. Not sure what's going on there. In my batch file, I had the hard disk after the CD file as did Cat7. Keep in mind when you boot up that Universal Install CD, it also tries to initialize the unformatted hard drive.
I seem to vaguely remember that initialize box (either from screenshots or when I tried out SheepShaver for literally five minutes), but for some reason, the dialog box doesn't show up here, and I honestly don't know why. Maybe it's the CD image, maybe it's something behind the scenes not working like it should, or maybe it's not a Universal Install CD and Macintosh Garden lied to me. (I hope it's not that last one or else we have a problem here.)

- Hunter
- Puzzled (aka Hunter)